DevFactory Reviews

Show reviews that mention
people test payment process software development authorities basis questions fraud pass
Filter review

DevFactory, a business scandal that needs to be looked by authorities (IRS, FBI ...)

Here's some lists of scandalous practices they employ at DevFactory: 1. They quantify people. This means they treat you just as numbers, this is evident by the way they are tracking their employee. They will force you to install a software called "gTeam Tracker" (they might have changed the name by now) or you will be terminated. This software monitors every move you make. It takes screen-shots of your screen, it also monitors the keys and mouse activities, and also takes mugshots of you from the webcam. The evil thing is, they are not satisfied with seeing all your privacy, your payment is dependent on the data that this tracker collected. So they put parameters and rules on what is accepted from this data taken by the tracker. A very good example is; Even if you did work, if the mugshots taken by gTeam tracker is not focused on your face, they will dispute that, and will not pay you for it because according to their rules, the acceptable mugshots should be focused on the face. I experienced this a lot, they owe me several thousand of dollars for not paying me for many hours, simply because my mugshots is not focused on the face. This practice is so nonsense because we are human, and the work we do is not pre programmed/routine, we are using our brain to do software work. What they should be monitoring is the output, not every move the employee make, not all our privacy. With DevFactory you have to put up with this, and you must be willing to give up your privacy. 2. Their motto is "Be Disruptive", what they are saying is think different, go away from conventional software development approach. That is what they are selling. Do you ever believe that? They are saying that their approach to software development which is "software factory" is the new unconventional method, really? What they are selling you is the reverse, Don't you know that the manufacturing/factory approach existed even since software development methodologies existed? It existed so long since when? When there are still manufacturing jobs in America, that's why they are using Henry Ford as an example, and you know how that was a long time ago since the time of Henry Ford. What they are selling is exactly the reverse of what they are doing, they are taking you backward to the stone age. I've been with them, so I can attest that their methodology is a ***, they are as good as mom & pop kind of company, they have lots of delivery failures, and when delays happens, those Indian managers ran away, they come back after the engineers solved the issue. You better find company that uses highly established software methodologies like Agile (Scrum, XP), and CMMI from the Software Engineering Institute of Carnegie Melon University. 3. Most managers I encountered, mostly the Indians are really inept and incompetent, they just have good political relationship with the executives including the CEO which are also Indians. With all due respect to the Indian readers, I'm not generalizing, this is just my experience with DevFactory, I'm no racist okay... These managers are just talkers, they like to puff their mouth with all air, no real substance there, they also like to show-off the work of others to the clients, taking the credits that belongs to the team. 4. All these incompetent managers comprising majority positions in DevFactory are all given absolute power over the engineers they handle. Even if you are awesome at your job, if they are threatened or the spotlight is taken away from them, they can fire you without a word, or any-time they want. You have no rights of due process here. 5. The CEO(Rahul Subramaniam) of this company lacks certain character which is very important to leadership. I had the opportunity to have several communications with Rahul, and my observation tells me what kind of leader he is. He is technical, that's a good point, however, he lacks integrity (i.e. honesty and excellence), I saw him makes commitment and promises that he actually never plan to fulfil. He just do it because it puts DevFactory in a good position, at least by human thinking. This is at all "deception" at its core, no matter how small it is in multi-million dollar business like this, it's a foundational flaw that tells us what kind of people, and core values that govern the company which is DevFactory.
Austin, Texas
Loss

Lack of integrity, deception, and firing without any valid reason

Google "DevFactory review" and you will find all the dirtiness of this company. Do it the same with (gDev, gTeam, DevFactory, Versata, Trilogy) - these are all the same company. Most of the negative comments/reviews have truth in it, those people who wrote "very" positive reviews just haven't experienced it yet. I know, because I've been with them for a year. Initially it was okay, but as I'm gaining momentum in the team, so is the boss/manager's weaknesses/incompetence being exposed too. That's when my experience with them started to be flipped upside down. First move they did is isolation, they excluded me from meetings, and never gave me updates about what's going on internally in the team. Second move they did is they tried to make me quit, by disputing a lot of my time-cards so that my payment will be significantly reduced, this have no valid basis of course, as my work/output is well documented. Third move they did is they tried to make me look bad to the external client that I am working for. Lastly, they fired me without any due process, no talk, no explanation, no valid reasons. It's like, it just happened in one second. Don't waste your time on companies like this, Most of their management is a bunch of incompetent and unskilled Indians. The kind of people who just like to talk and show off to the clients, but doesn't posses the substance and integrity to back up their words. Heck, I did several business with DevFactory's CEO(Rahul Subramaniam) and he makes promises and words that he never intend to fulfill. These hordes of officers that sprung up from 3rd world India are very good at things like this, the rampantness of deception is heavily ingrained in the culture of their business.
Buayan, General Santos

DevFactory fraud

It has some other intentions. It's completely fraud. I've passed test and waiting for over a month, but they're wasting my time. When I try to withdraw my proposal, Elance server doesn't respond, while it's working for all other requests.... The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** companym The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company The *** company

Beware of DevFactory....

I want to write a lot about this DevFactory / gDev FZ LLC, Dubai (www.devfactory.com), but due to time constraint, I m trying to tell maximum in few lines....Their intention is to save US government taxes, by routing their income from US to Dubai (a tax free zone!) And as IRS (Internal revenue services) wants a detail of every penny flows outside US by US firm, they have to legitimately show that they have hired people and paid them and that is how their Dubai firm had made a lot of profit!!! And this is why they hire people on oDesk and eLance. i.e. Just to show US authority (IRS), and Not to get any genuine work done!!!!And while achieving this(enforced payment to show IRS), they have done a mutual benefit contract with oDesk or eLance that while achieving their goal of saving tax, they will promote this freelancing culture and their sites.So for that, they will send invites to mostly all oDesk or eLance users, luring them with an extra ordinary payment offer (starting from 15$ per hour, 40hr/week), and lure them to apply for interview and test.Then they will try to engage you maximum in the process using a highly un-predictable course of actions (in other words, you will never inform in advance about what will happen when (exact in time)), mostly when u give online test and a brief skype interview, you will never know from when your contract will start. **So they will try maximum to detach you from your ongoing work!!!!**Once offered a contract, their immediate goal is to annoy/irritate/frustrate you to terminate your contract (there are thousands way to do this, you will get to know once you get a contract). If you wont get annoyed enough to terminate your contract by yourself, they will kick you out siting a performance reason!!!**So, once they offered you a contract, their immediate goal will be to kick you out as soon as possible.** So that they can cover maximum number of freelancers in their budget! (of Course they don't have a money plant to pay you 10$ to 30$ per hour, 40hr/week!!!).They need to pay in proportion of book amount/profit they want to transfer from US to Dubai!So please don't get trapped!!! Don't leave your full time job looking at their luring offer! **They don't want to pay you for a long time, in fact they will try to get rid of you as early as possible!**And Finally, don't ever think that they have some serious/genuine work for you to get it done!!! It is worst time pass in IT ever!!!Disclaimer: This is a personal views of a writer and do not constitutes any legal claims.

I have been with them for 3 years now, never felt like they want to kick me or anything similar. Hope this helps

DevFactory/gDev owes me $650

I am very mad/pissed. I spend over 70hrs for nothing. First, I spent like 3 hours doing a test that had over 200 questions, some questions were out of wack, irrelevant, other software systems and technology that I do not care for. I am a php developer why are you asking me about .NET? Somehow I did pass but the worst was yet to come. I was interviewed and given a contract that at the time, it said I was going to get paid around $600 for going to the trial phase of getting hired. I was presented with issues regarding systems and software architectures that I do not care for but I felt forced to learn in order to get hired. So I downoladed a bunch of tutorials and videos about ANT, JBoss, their Back bone programming guide, their object management guide but man o man, when I got to the DCM dev guide, that is a 1000 pages book with the worst directions ever made for a manual. I spent all this time learning all these *** to get one thing done which I didn't and they didn't give a *** about it. Over 10 days passed, I sent them a question about my time spend and they just replied with thank you for your time good bye! I checked the contract and it was different from the one I was presented with in the first place. They changed the contract and I want the money I was promised.

I also had the similar experience. i lost 48-50 hrs of my time on the trail.

I would not have taken the trail if they had not promised to pay. I think many people who took the trail were left unpaid

Have you attended the job through odesk or other freelance websites ?

View more comments (1)
San Diego, California
Loss

DevFactory Recruiting Company is Scam & Fraud !

DevFactory is a scam ! I was invited to their ‘interview’, wasted days and hours on the procedure while feedback was very poor from the ‘company’.. they even failed to provide the direct link to the testing, so I had to dig to get the proper testing site. Test consits of 160 questions which takes a lot of time, and while some questions are very easy, others completely go out of the range for the 'position'. They didn’t even review my test, cause just seconds after I got notification that they have ‘plenty of candidates’ and essentially can play with them as they like… Dom’t waste Your time on DevFactory, its scam. I doubt they even hire people but just exploit candidates on long term basis and so it looks they’re hiring all the time. Beware of the following DevFactory Recruiting, don't fall to their scam advertising and do report them to authorities in Your country ! www.devfactory.com recruiting.devfactory.com DevFactory Offices DevFactory Dubai 705-706 Al Thuraya 1 Dubai Media City PO BOX 502091 Dubai – 43659 United Arab Emirates Phone : +971-******** Fax : +971-******** DevFactory US 6011 West Courtyard Drive Austin, TX 78730 Phone: +1.512.377.9700 Fax: +1.512.428.6276

DevFactory is NOT a scam, but their recruiting practices on eLance and oDesk are not completely ethical either.

I was hired by DevFactory a couple of years ago and lasted just 4 months. Despite being hired, I was NOT paid for the trial assignment.

Yes, you heard me right. When I contacted HR, they sent me to a URL of the revised job posting that excludes language about being paid.

They only hire people who score near the top of their trial assignments and other exams; so if you're just performing average, you will not be hired.

When you get hired, you will enter a very demanding and challenging environment that requires a lot of self-motivation and discipline. In this regard, the experience there does improve your professionalism.

While there, I noticed that *A LOT* of people are hired and fired (i.e., replaced by other people).

Although I can't confirm it, it seems that their policy is to test you out in the job. And when your performance slips, you get let go.

It seems like a lot of work to go through to get an unstable, yet demanding job. I personally would never apply for another DevFactory job, and I don't recommend it for anyone.

Check devFactory review on mouthshut (google it) and read comment section too in that review. You will get to know everything behind the scene!

I am working there for couple of months now , And its a great experience , great payments and always on time .

I dont think its any scam or something

I've worked there too. They're super professional on the inside.

DevFactory / GTeam is not a scam. They've been very, very good to me.

I asked about why they don't pay everybody for the 1st week "trial period", and apparently they used to. Then some recruiting company in China figured out they could make $600/week by getting *** people to apply. They'd collect the $600, do practically nothing and walk away.

So the management had to cut it off, and pay for the week only if you passed, which successfully removed all of the scammers from applying. I agree, it's not perfect.

Actually I was hired by Devfactory for 9 months, and it was the most professional period I'd ever spent at any company.

Their recruiting process is very hard because they seek the professional people all over the world and they apply the Talent Management concept as the book.

That's way many people are applying and also many people are fail in their tests. you must be a professional in order to get an opportunity at DevFactory.

The managers I dealt with inside this company were very professional and understand exactly what they need to do.

I learned a lot at that short period and I really regret that I quitted.

things I need to learn:

Zen Desk

Joomla

Mike

447 G st. Chula Vista,

yes i have attend the test perfectly...but they failed me...its a big scam...i wasted lot of time on it..

@PissedConsumer644832

The thing with this company is that they require almost perfection. I tried more than once and finally got through.

If you do not follow instructions carefully then your application gets disqualified. The first times that I tried I did not do that so the next time I did I ensured that I did all that was asked of me.

This is a good company. If not Elance and Odesk would have shut them down.

@PissedConsumer647279

Hey would you please contact @ nazimlungula@***.com. i have applied and failed I need advice from you. thanks in advance

View more comments (10)
Belgrade, Vojvodina
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article