Verified Reviewer

D2D Movers - DO NOT HIRE! Damaged furniture and walls. Company will not take responsibility for destroying your belongings.
I hired D2D Movers last week. Here is a complete recap of how the move went on Fri 1/17/20 and the horrible experiences that followed: I researched different moving companies and hired D2D Movers based on great reviews and their website's promise to take special care of the property being moved by wrapping and protecting it and treating it like their own property. I scheduled the move based on the date and time that D2D stated they were available. D2D Movers did not show up to my scheduled move that Friday. Two men in a pick up truck and trailer showed up and advised they were sub-contracted by D2D. Apparently D2D overbooked themselves and had to outsource some workers they deemed good enough to move my belongings. D2D never told me they could not accommodate my move and they sent these men without my knowledge or consent. Already not off to a great start here as I specifically chose D2D and instead got some sub-contracted guys with no moving truck. When I saw the size of the trailer they brought, I was apprehensive that it would be big enough as the last mover I hired used a 40 foot moving truck and I had less furniture back then. As the sub-contracted guy named Dean walked through my 2-bedroom apartment, he immediately commented that it is a much bigger move than he was prepared for and he was told by D2D that it was a small move. He said he thought there would be a lot less to move and he did not know if his trailer would be big enough but he would have to try make it work (he said he had an 18-foot trailer). I explained that when I booked the move, I advised of how many rooms I had and how much stuff I had. Right away, I noticed that he was in over his head and appeared overwhelmed. I cringed during the entire move because of the way my furniture was handled. None of my furniture was wrapped and no blankets were used and no pads were used on the flat roller that was used to transport the furniture. My furniture was placed directly on the roller. (The last mover I previously hired were well prepared and covered everything and had protective padding on the roller.) I observed Dean use his foot to brace the foot of my $3000 6 foot heavy tv credenza as he tried to stand it up longways and tried to push it on the roller. I later found a crack in the foot of the credenza, which has now compromised the integrity of the piece. I tried to explain the method the prior movers used to move it without damaging it, but they went about their business. I proceeded to watch them move out my furniture with delicate finishes and fabrics without covering it and no protection on the roller. The lack of experience and care was noticeable. I saw one of the guys carry out my extra thin flat screen tv by the tv glass with no cover or blanket. The tv is brand new, so I remember clearly when the Best Buy sales rep informed me that it was not supposed to be held by the thin glass but rather by the side and bottom without touching the front glass. I have pictures of the mover's handprints and fingerprints all over the front glass. I would expect a professional mover to know how to handle electronics properly. As things were carried out to the trailer, I began to notice that a really extended period of time would pass before anyone would return to pick up another item. Even if someone walked out with a lightweight item, a long time would pass before anyone returned for more things. I assumed that since the trailer was not big enough, they were taking a long time to try and figure out how to configure everything to fit everything in. I went out to the trailer to check and sure enough, the trailer was almost full, there still were more things to bring out, there were items outside of the trailer that they already brought out and the two of them were standing there trying figure how to fit the rest of the stuff. If a big enough moving truck was used, the move would have been much faster and my things would not have had to be tightly squeezed and shoved in and my furniture would not have had to endure as many scrapes and damages. It had already been more than 3 hours and they hadn't even finished loading up my 2 bedroom apartment. There were no loose items for them to pack and I only left the furniture and a few boxes and larger items for them. I had already moved the breakables, fragile items and smaller items myself before the movers came. It got to a point where not everything was even loaded up. They ran out of room and it was also taking too long to load up. I ended up having to make extra trips AFTER the move I PAID for to go pick up the rest of the stuff they couldn’t fit and left behind. When we got to my new house the movers scraped and scratched up the walls, stairs and banisters of my pristine brand new $500k NEW BUILD house. Before the move, I had just had my final walk through with the builder and the builder ensured that every single scrape, nick and imperfection were touched up and perfect before I moved in and now there is visible damage everywhere in my brand new home. Had the furniture been covered with a blanket or wrapped in bubble wrap or protected in any way, my home would have not been damaged nor would the furniture have been. At one point I heard loud 'crash, boom, bang' noises and I walked down the stairs to find Dean haphazardly throwing (literally throwing) the contents of the tv credenza into a pile on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. The items included VHS's, DVD's, picture frames, photo albums, boxes, remotes, marble coasters etc., just being carelessly thrown into a pile that I had to clean up and put away after they left. He said he was taking everything out to make it lighter but I had already discussed with D2D over the phone and confirmed that I did not have to empty the contents of cupboards and drawers and the previous movers I hired did not empty them either. I also believe the credenza was initially dropped before they decided to empty it out. Once they carried the credenza upstairs, I noticed they didn't even clear a pathway for it and had left the large the sectional couch pieces scattered around in their way so I ran over and shoved the couches out of the way for them even though I had just injured my back the day prior. They attempted to shove my $1,500 velvet bed frame through the opening of the stairway a few times before realizing it was not going to fit. I watched as they scraped all the walls and the banister while trying to shove it up the stairs. I ran over and grabbed the end of the bed frame that was hanging over the banister scratching the wall. I lifted it up and helped them with it. They eventually had to take it completely apart to get it upstairs, but they should have been knowledgeable enough to do that in the first place rather than creating damage and trying to make it fit. The entire move took almost 6 hours. Mind you, I only moved 3 blocks away so there was literally no travel time. When it came time to pay, I was told to write a check out to one of the guys personally so I called D2D to confirm if I was supposed to make payment to this individual’s name. I completely regret trying to be nice and not micro-manage and not look over their shoulders constantly during the move and I regret not surveying the condition of everything before they left. But as with any move, it was hectic and I was busy the entire time. Because I was trying to be nice, they got away with ruining my furniture and my new home. I also realized afterwords that there was no contract, work agreement, invoice, receipt, or anything formal provided. Completely unprofessional. After they finally left, as I went about putting the house together and unpack, I began to notice more and more damage to my home and furniture. I called D2D to advise of how my furniture was handled and I sent photos of the initial damages I found to the credenza, coffee table and metal entry way table. Each item was scraped and scratched up and the credenza was cracked as well. The owner or representative of D2D that answers/handles the business phone # (407) 917-**** initially said he was sorry it happened and would have a furniture repair person contact me to touch up the furniture. But I was concerned the unique colors and metallic finishes would not be able to be matched, additionally touch up paint won’t suffice to fix the cracked wood and the scratched metal can’t be painted either. By the way, no furniture repair person ever contacted me as I was told. The following day, as I started to set up the house room by room, I was in tears when I noticed additional damage to my velvet bed frame and head board. The velvet is gouged out along both entire sides and the decorative studs on the headboard are all scratched up. The velvet was also dirtied in areas. Then I found that my guest bedroom white bed frame was also badly scraped from end to end down the sides. Virtually every piece of furniture was damaged. Once I sent photo and video evidence of the rest of the damage, D2D stopped responding to my messages and would not answer my phone calls; whereas before the complaint, the phone was always promptly answered. The guy from D2D finally responded and basically called me a liar by saying I now have an elaborate story. Yet during my initial phone call about the damage I explained the way my furniture was handled and how I cringed during the whole thing so I don’t know how that does not coincide with my original statement. I also explained on that phone call that I hadn’t had a chance to look at everything yet but wanted to make him aware of the damage as soon as I found it. As I began to find more and more damage, I realized it was important for D2D to know every single detail, so I sent more specific information. The guy from D2D then said he was would make it right. But when asked how he plans to resolve it as gouged velvet, scratched metal etc. are not repairable and can’t be fixed with ‘touch up paint’, instead of offering any resolution, he continued to insinuate I was lying by saying the guys who did my move are claiming that all of my furniture was already damaged by my dog and they offered to wrap everything up and I refused. I stated my case based on what the mover was alleging (which I should not have had to beg to be believed as I sent proper evidence), I explained that I just bought a new home, my furniture is all brand new from expensive stores such as Z Gallerie, nothing is second hand or used. I value my belongings very much and take care of them. Nothing was damaged before hand. Never once did I decline my furniture to be protected. In what universe would anyone with a brand new half a million dollar home and expensive furniture decline it to be protected, that makes absolutely no sense. Of course the incompetent and careless mover is not going to take responsibility for it and is going to lie to cover his tracks. I have 2 witnesses that were also there and saw every thing transpire. Additionally, my dog didn’t damage any of the items I am claiming. Not only is the damage not consistent with any damage that an elderly dog (or any dog or pet) can do, and it is very obviously damage from being scraped during the move. Also, many of the items were bought brand new and unpackaged in my apartment and never moved before. The guy from D2D then tried to defer me to the other guys and said to call them instead because I paid them not D2D. Now, instead of keeping his word to make things right, he tried to pass me off to someone else. This is unacceptable as I hired D2D, not those other guys. D2D sent those other guys on D2D’s behalf with out my consent and D2D needs to take responsibility for this. Despite my many phone calls and leaving a voicemail and sending texts requesting for my calls to be answered or returned, D2D refused to call me back and ignored my phone calls. At this point, D2D has stopped responding to any of my texts as well after trying to pass me off to the guys that completed the move, who are obviously not taking responsibility for anything either as they were making up lies. My furniture is not only damaged, it is DESTROYED beyond repair. I have incurred thousands of dollars worth of damage and D2D won’t do anything about it and won’t even be professional or decent enough to answer my calls or respond to my messages. Do not hire D2D Movers!!!! They don’t care about you or your belongings and they will ignore you after screwing you over.
ID
Orlando, Florida
Reason of review
Movers destroyed my furniture and damaged my house.
Loss
Preferred solution
Reimbursement for damages incurred.

Damages, items left behind, extra fee, unwilling to comp us for our loss

D2D Movers - Damages, items left behind, extra fee, unwilling to comp us for our loss
We selected Door2Door Movers of St. Augustine two months in advance from the field of movers because they were local and presented well what they would do for our local move 4.3 miles away, house-to-house. The onsite house interview, we made sure they accepted Discover card for payment with an affirmative. This was not our first move since we have moved many times. We packed ourselves and have never had such a disappointing experience in dozen plus moves across the country professional and personally, as with Door2Door. If we had known how poorly they were going to treat our personal possessions, we certainly would NOT have engaged and paid them $1.1K. We estimate a loss in value of bedroom, dining room furniture and dishware of hundreds of dollars. All damages to dishware (see photo) came from few dropped securely packed bins in their truck witnessed by us, furniture broken (see photo) , including dropped out back of truck of work radio that did survive their mishandling. We were asked at the end of the loading process, if we could take two lamps and we agreed but upon reentering outgoing house found a pile of personal items (see photo) too many to load into out two SUV vehicles. Upon delivery, we were told a credit card fee of $77 was required, unknown and untold to us months ago. When we unpack over the past weeks, we found (photo evidence) broken crystal vase, collector vase, Longaberger stoneware bowls one each of multiple sets, plastic plate, large and small glass bowls oneof multiple sets, one of six set stem wine glasses, Corelle ware serving bowl. It was not the packing but the dropping or tipping over of stacked bins inside their truck cause of our damages. Be aware as buyers of their poor leadership, lack of supervision, substandard handling of your personal possessions, dodging responsibility for compensation of our family’s daily dishware, household furniture, timeless heirlooms and individual keepsakes.
Featured
ID
Pros
  • Charge extra for credit card unknown to us
Cons
  • Deny responsibility for damaging goods
  • Deny responsibility for dropped bins
  • Unwilling to settle on compensating us
Reason of review
Damaged or defective
Loss
Preferred solution
Comp for damages

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article