Craig Funeral Home, St. Augustine, FL

Our families first contact with this funeral home was a woman by the name of Linda Roy. After introductions, the first thing out of her mouth was, "We need the money up front". No wonder, after what transpired afterward. We were not given an itemized statement of charges until we asked for it; just an amount. My 18-year-old daughter's body had to be flown from another state. The itemized list we got when we asked for it charged $2500 dollars for the transport and the embalming. My mother called the airlines when she saw this, and was told the cost was $265. When confronted with this, the funeral home dropped the price to $1,000. My guess is the extra was the embalming charge, but we will never know, as the itemized list did not include items from the out-of-state funeral home. Linda Roy then took two days off during the planning of the funeral, supposedly due to illness. This caused major problems, as no one else took the reigns until two days before the funeral. Example: The funeral home offered a slideshow, and so out-of-state relatives sent pictures via email as Linda said to. However, Linda had taken the two days off, and no one at the funeral home could get into her email (or so they said. Why not just call her to get the password?). As a result, our family did not get to review the slideshow, and saw it for the first time at the funeral. Now...the lost dress... We wanted my daughter to be laid out in her junior prom dress. My mother brought the dress to them the day after talking to Linda Roy. However, two days after that, we received a call from someone at the funeral home demanding (yes, demanding) that we bring the dress. My mother replied she had already brought the dress to them, and they asked her, "Where is it?" What? Two days later they called and said they had "found" the dress. After we got the itemized list, we saw that Craig Funeral Home had taken the liberty of charging us for things that were optional and we were not consulted about. This included a $200 guest book. We told them that was outrageous, and we got a nice one from Hallmark for $25. This, and the body delivery charge are only two examples of the rip-off this funeral home was trying to *** us into. Taking advantage of the bereaved is horrid. These people were only interested in our money... that became painfully obvious by their increasing agitation and rudeness when we began to question the charges on the itemized list. Rusty Hall took over for Linda because she was sick. Although he tried to make amends, it became obvious this was for show. He was the assigned observer at my daughter's funeral; however, he left her funeral when someone came in wanting to arrange a funeral of their own. After the funeral, some friends wanted to look at urns for themselves. However, they had to wait, as the "product room" and the funeral arrangement room are one and the same. Rusty Hall was in the room with the people he had left my daughter's funeral to arrange. We waited 20-30 minutes before we were allowed in to view the urns. I saw my daughter's body before the funeral. She looked better before they made her up. In other words, they made her look worse. We paid for this terrible make-up job. Because Linda Roy was sick, and no one took over the arranging of my daughter's funeral for three days, we were then expected to hurry up and get things done. They called us demanding that we do this and do that. Since the delay in planning was their fault (due to Linda's absence), it was rather arrogant of them to call us in a rude and nasty tone of voice to get us to "hurry up" and do things. I believe this delay was intentional because we opted out of the "package" and wanted to buy some nicer, cheaper things for my daughter. After the funeral was over, a distant friend whom we hadn't talked to in a while, but ran into, told us that she had a horrible time with them as well when her husband died. In conclusion: If you are looking to be treated nastily, be ripped-off, have a terrible-looking deceased relative (or friend) laid out, or don't want any kind of respect shown to you or your deceased loved one, this is the place to get your funeral arranged. However... If you are looking for good, compassionate (or even friendly) service, look elsewhere. You won't find it here. I want to add that this is just a sampling of the problems we had with this funeral home. If I went into full detail, this would be far too lengthy.

Gawlee, times have changed for this funeral home. I was born and raised in St.

Augustine and Craig was the one used for my Grandmother, Aunt, Uncles and most of my family, however this has been at the least twenty years or more. It appears when young people take control of an old business, thing change.

Brett, why where you looking for their web site if you had already done business with them twice, didn't you have their number? I could not find this web page on google at all, but I did find 10 pages for Craig Funeral Home. Is your last name Craig?

With the number of complaints there must be some truth to them. A Funeral Home should never have any complaints if they truly care and are conducting themselves above board with satisfying the families they serve.

They must go over and above board if they expect to the respected in the community. If a family is not happy with a particular service then remove it without question from the bill. Overcharging will give you the name of "rip off". Once those types are affiliated with your home you are doomed.

The public must have trust in you. Rather than attempt to charge $200. for a guest book charge a reasonable %25 or $50. max.

Seems like Craig is only interested in money. Clean up your act.

You need to contact the Ftc in Washington,& let them know about not being given a General Price list.Also,your state probably has a Funeral Services board that oversee`s the homes,& the work they do,write them a certified letter,& tell them of the treatment,also the BBB in your state.

Sounds like this Funeral Home is run by former WWE performer Paul Bearer!! Where's the Undertaker??

A member of the family or family friend, I suppose you are. They are terrible, and anyone I know who I've asked about their experiences with them has said they are terrible.

I have buried or cremated most of all my family at Craig Funeral Home in St Augustine and have never been mis-treated. They have always been very professional and helpful. I for one am glad that they are just a phone call away, they responed to our call for services without delay and carried out every request.

I was surprised when I found this website by accident while using google to find this funeral home's website. I have used this Craig Funeral Home twice in the last two years first for my mother and then for my father.

Every member of the staff conducted themselves very professionally especially Mr. Hall who was the funeral director for my mother and later we requested him to be the funeral director for my father. He attended to every detail. He even cut his vacation short when he heard of my father's death and our request.

When death rears its ugly head I am glad that there are people like Mr. Hall and the staff at Craig Funeral Home around to help our family through a those very trying times.

This is my review of Craig Funeral Home, St. Augustine, FL.

View more comments (8)
ID
Lafayette, Louisiana

About

Summary

Craig Funeral Home is located in St. Augustine, FL. It offers Overview service, Honoring Life, Funeral Designing, Memorial Designing, Funeral Services, Memorial Property, Permanent Memorialization, On-site Crematory, as well as Cell Phones for Soldiers program. The staff members of Craig Funeral Home are intended to guide people in creating a meaningful ceremony to honor the life and memory of a loved one. Craig Funeral Home organizes different ceremonies according to a wish of relatives. They can be simple or elaborate, traditional or unique. No matter how it's tailored, such a ceremony is an important step in recovering from loss. The company also operates the Sympathy Store which sells Flowers, Gift Baskets Food, Memorial Gifts, Memorial Jewelry as well as Books.

Craig Funeral Home reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article