Start a new comparison

93 reviews
31 reviews
No votes
16 reviews

How would you compare Empire Today vs Fifty Floor?

Empire Carpet is a total scam. It’s approach is to upsell and then use inferior contractors to install as quickly )and cheaply) as possible, with no commitment to what the sales agent had promised.

You think customer service is your friend?

Think again. There is no follow up.

I contracted 50 Floor to provide a service where they failed to be honest and advise me with the best information available leaving me with flooring that is not acceptable. Please note that I did not have any noticeable squeaks/cracks with my flooring prior to 50 Floor being contracted to provide a service.

1.Initial Consultation – Representative Dave suggested that new flooring be placed on existing flooring. Dave was aware that the existing flooring was ¾ and suggested putting in 3/8 of flooring. I personally informed Dave twice that the existing flooring is not level. Dave assured me that there will be no problem.

2.Post Consultation – I contracted a firm to remove existing trim in main floor area and replace with higher trim as 3/8 of flooring was to be placed on top of ¾ flooring. 3.Day of installation – I was informed by the construction crew that they cannot place new flooring over existing flooring as it is not level. I spoke to Mario (installation manager) where we agreed to remove the existing floor and provide repairs to the sub-floor, if damaged during the removal process. The cost was $2,500.

As a good business practice, 50 Floor should have informed me that if ¾ of flooring was to be removed then I will have issues with cracks/squeaking without any additional support being placed under the new flooring. Neither the installation manager and/or the construction crew provided any advice as they were well aware that I was not knowledgeable when it comes to flooring. 50 Floor has paperwork that I signed to authorize removal of the flooring in the amount of $2,500. The original contract they gave me, which shows a check mark is incorrect.

4.Day of installation – Half of the flooring was placed in the residence. I observed an area of the flooring (eastern section of the main floor) with a significant squeak, as well as other areas with some squeaking. I spoke to the installation manager (Mario) the following morning regarding this and I suggested that the existing sub-floor needs to be looked at. Again, 50 Floor should have observed the sub-floor prior to any installation to see if there were any issues.

I should not have had to tell them about this as they specialize in flooring. Later that day I observed the installation crew securing the exposed sub-floor (western section of the main floor area). No effort was made to re-secure the sub-floor on which the new flooring had been placed. Please note that upstairs bedroom and the eastern section of the main floor was already installed at the time of my conversation with the installation manager.

5.Installation Complete – Flooring has been installed and I still have the significant squeaking issue on the eastern section of the floor in the main living area, as well as other areas on the main floor and upstairs bedroom. The installation crew stated that I have joist and sub-floor issue and there is nothing they can do. My response was “if you can tell me that I have a joist/sub-floor problem once the new flooring has been placed then why did you not inform me prior to installing the new floor.” Furthermore, they stated that you cannot get rid of all squeaks and cracks when I was referencing other areas of the flooring that I was concerned about. They acted clueless and stated that they would need to speak to their manager.

6.Post Installation 1 – I was visited by two supervisors separately who both agreed that I have a joist/sub-floor issue. Again, I responded ““if you can tell me that I have a joist/sub-floor problem once the new flooring has been placed then why did you not inform me prior to installing the new floor.” The supervisors acted clueless and responded that they will have to speak to the installation manager. 7.Post Installation 2 – I spoke with Mario and we verbally agreed to a reduction of $1,500 from $2,500, which was the cost to remove the existing floor. The agreement was to compensate me for having to fix the eastern section of the main floor via the garage, which is underneath the problem area.

I received a letter they wanted me to sign. In summary, I did not agree with the way the letter was addressed. 8.Post Installation 3 – As of December 14, 2018, I have not received a response from 50 Fllor regarding this matter. In fact, 50 Floor processed a charge on my Wells Fargo account, dated November 27, 2018, without any communication with me to address my issues.

I contracted a firm to fix the flooring issue on the eastern section of the home, as this was a priority. Furthermore, the firm attempted to address an area located in the northern section of the home that was causing significant squeaking. The issue on the eastern section was fixed. However, the issue on the northern section still remains a problem.

I have been informed by this firm that I do not have a joist/sub-floor problem. Instead, the problem is that there is no support under the 3/8 flooring that has been installed. As previously noted, I originally had ¾ flooring and no noticeable issues with squeaks/cracks. As of writing this letter, I still have significant flooring issues in my residence.

Summary I have attempted to fix two of the several flooring issues in my home at this time, of which one fix was successful and the other was not. There is no guarantee that the other areas can be fixed from below. Therefore, there is a high probability that I will have remove the entire flooring again in the near future, as I cannot sell the home with the existing problems. As previously noted, the 3/8 flooring does not provide enough support to the sub-floor.

50 Floor should not have installed the flooring, period. They failed to advise me correctly at each stage of this contract.

The company refuses to accept any responsibility of its employees’ actions. Furthermore, they process a charge on my financing card without resolving the issues suggesting poor business ethics on their part.

Empire uses subpar products and bad contractors. I have had carpet from empire for about 2 years and it looks like its been in the house for 10 years because of the wear patterns.

I was told it was durable and would take heavy traffic.

We dont tend to wear shoes in the house, have a 15lbs dog and a 5 year old who travels the house but I feel it shouldn't be this bad. Exspecially for what we paid.

@Brian

My sentiments exactly.

Empire today is a terrible terrible company DO NOT USE THEM

I think people need to watch Empire's sales reps. I had them out for a pricing on 2 rooms total of 494 SF.

Now I had already let them do my home for flooring and it was more than 494 SF and it only cost me $4K. I was good with that and things went well. BUT not this time. I ordered a vinyl laminate wood flooring and the sales rep gave me a price of $11,365.00 and I dropped.

It doesn't take a genius to know that was wrong. It wasn't even real wood. So I called back and the kid told me his boss said I could have it for $8K and some change. again, I'm still numb.

I knew then it was a total rip off. So I will never recommend or use them again.

So now I'm getting my flooring from Lumber Liquidators $4100.00. More like it.

I only used 50 Floor. But I felt I needed to write about not getting the full picture explained in terms of their 12 month no interest deal with Wells Fargo.

I was charged 27.99 % on my flooring because I was 3 weeks late at the near end of the contract. I still thought I had 3 weeks. I had been making double payments every month. Well after I made the 2nd to last payment I got charged $534.00 in interest.

I had not done a deal like this before and myself and my boyfriend were under a total different impression of theirs. The whole explanation was not so clear. But you cannot fight the Big Boys. Be very careful and make sure the salesman is very clear.

BUYER BEWARE !!

Breeze, ***, Ga.

@Anonymous

Your first tip should have been Wells Fargo, a bank known for being part of the housing crash in 2008 and more recently for ripping off its own customers. I wouldn't trust anything to Wells Fargo. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Looking to compare laminate flooring with 50floor or Empire..any experience with these two companies & product? Located outside Charlotte

@Anonymous

Having worked with Empire for years I say the following. Most of the sales force know little about the products they sell.

Turn over is very high and the managers are doing their best. So find out how long a rep has been selling for. Secondly, look closely at the product, how it will be used and where. Then please use common sense.

Do not put laminate in any areas that will get wet. It is wood pulp and I don’t care how well it is protected or warranted, water will find a way in. If you can stand the pictures on the LVP (Luxury vinyl planks), look into that. It can be expensive but so is good laminate.

Cheep laminate is not worth anything. I finally redid my kitchen and dining room with Home Depot’s lifestyles LVP. It looks great handles water and everything, no buckling. I did this 1 year ago for $1500, so figure if I had paid someone it would have cost around $6k.

Empire has a wide range of products, they negotiate on the price and have pretty good installers. I have friends that work for 50 Floors, they have the same sort of installers. Some good , some not so good. It is always worth doing some education for yourself before bringing in the professsionals since you need to understand the costs, difficulties etc involved.

YouTube can give a lot of insight in a very short time. Best of luck.

I still use Empire for my rental properties, but I tell them what I want. I don’t wish to be sold.

Top Rated Empire Today Reviews