Start a new comparison

• Loss of channels7
  • Dishonesty regarding account6
Show

Discussion

So, we can get either service where we live. Then of course there is DirectTV which appears to offer the same services as Dish.

My neighbor went from Mediacom to Dish because he was not satisfied with Mediacom. Living in a rural area we don't have any other choices for high-speed internet. We have had Mediacom for several years although with some recent issues I am looking into Verizon. I understand they have high-speed internet.

While we do have the bundled services of Mediacom (phone, internet, cable TV) we seldom ever watch cable or record shows so I am thinking of dropping the cable option. The telephone goes down when the cable goes down. Tough to talk to a rep that is having you try stuff to fix things, especially when cell service by my desktop has no reception.

So biggest advantages of Mediacom are much higher speed internet and NO CONTRACT. Dish uses HughesNet for internet.

HughesNet is much slower, has fewer data use options and ranks even below Mediacom on any rating scale. Since we really don't use cable and Dish I can't comment on service. Mediacom recently has been almost doubling the amount of data we have contracted for, thus charging extra. That may be true for small amounts but when our contract is for 400 Gbytes a month and they claim we have used 750 Gb there is a problem especially since the average of all previous months has been about 300 Gb a month.

Customer service stonewalls you and ends up claiming someone is tapping into the router. No way, physically impossible where we live. they also blame other users in the household even though there is no-one else. Then the absurdity is that they claim to make no mistakes and their equipment does not malfunction, despite having our modem and cable boxes repeatedly replaced due to malfunctions.

Also, even though we have a contract for 50mbs downstream speed, on several occasions movies have to buffer until they start back up again. It is said that beggars can't be choosers and I'm afraid that we must be beggars because we have few choices.