Start a new comparison

38 reviews
1.1
15 reviews
3 reviews

How would you compare Amazon vs Harpertom?

KnownLemur

Harpertom is aggressive to mislead the buyer. 1.

The format is similar to Amazon--white background, crisp picture of book cover, label beneath. 2. States under each book cover "In Stock" 3. Requests shipping zip code to determine "Shipping Cost" 4.

At checkout, shipping and billing address are required. The problem is that the item is not "In Stock," and will not be "Shipped" ever. It is a digital service and PDF transmission to your email address (of which is downplayed--never asking if this is a primary address or an address where you want the book downloaded). Nowhere on the HOME page is stated that HarperTom deals only in PDF transmissions.

So, the buyer's mind might read something like this: I'm getting a fairly good deal, so I'll give this new book company a shot (Amazon was charging around $22 for the book I wanted/HarperTom charged $16.50). The website looks like Amazon; so they must perform like Amazon. Good, I like Amazon. Wow, free shipping.

Great! Huge bonus. When are they going to tell me when I'll receive it? Maybe after I send my shipping address and they can confirm my credit card.

Nope, I still don't have approximate shipping time. Oh, good, they sent a confirmation number email, and it likely shares the shipping date." And this is when you realize this is all you will get--a PDF version of what you wanted. . .which was a book shipped to you in physical form.

Then you find. . .way down in the terms. .

.nothing physical is EVER shipped from this company; nor will they ever give refunds. Amazon, on the other hand, states the form of the book you will receive: Kindle, Audio, Hard Copy, Paperback. Each form will have its own price. You can select where you want the book to deposit electronically.

Amazon has reviews. . .HarperTom has NONE. Yes, there were breadcrumbs I could have followed.

I was tired, I wanted to get this gift off my to do list, I was not hyper-vigilant. Yes, I could have done better. . .However, I remain dedicated to having this site pulled down or revised.

They are misleading, they are not honoring state commerce law tax, and I wonder if the authors/publishers are being paid. Additionally, HarperTom gives their physical address in Baltimore, MD.

. .then your credit card is charged internationally.

Top Rated Amazon Reviews