Hartfield, Virginia

Update by user Apr 22, 2015

Situation was resolved after lots of back and forth emails

Original review posted by user Mar 08, 2015

Contacted winzip about computer crash and that I had purchased a new computer said ok to re-install WinZip Malware Protector.

Purchased this 1/9/2015 can not re-install, it keeps saying you have exceeded the number of allowed machines, I am only putting it one one machine.

Have called, emailed every address possible and am at an end now.

They email what to do, doesn't work, tell you where else to contact or they are not the right person to contact. No help in getting your program/ software or a real answer that works.

I am out money, time, security, etc.

They are not customer friendly and should be investigated.

Review about: Malware Protector.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss can not use product/ multipal of another product / $40
Preferred solution Deliver product or service ordered

Had an Experience with Winzip?

Comments

Hold up now, hold up now, hold up now.Are you telling me that not only are you the one person keeping WinZip afloat by buying their archiving utility, but that you've also purchased anti-malware from them?!

If I type "zip" into almost a search engine, tested with google.com, the first return is a link to 7Zip which does all the archiving you can imagine and is completely free. I'm not going to bother comparing the two products' archiving stats but instead I will illustrate how WinZip is indirectly admitting that it is necessary by packaging all these unrelated technologies just to keep itself relevant (all of these additional features can also be found for free if you're interested). Developers call this scope creep and it is either a sign of desperation or lack of direction. By the way, scope crepe is when you keep adding more toppings to your crepe/pancake/omelette.

The dirty secret that no one wants you to know is that anti-x, meaning anti-malware, anti-virus, anti-hacking, is largely unecessary.

Even on a Windows machine, or any other OS, if you ensure that you use an account that has the lowest privileges available (read: NOT a root/administrator account) then you have almost nothing to worry about.Any software that can circumvent your operating system's internal security libraries, which hopefully you haven't rendered useless out of convenience, can probably get around whatever AV you might buy.

Jpcp131364

Be careful what you install. Any antivirus, malware programs are not fool proof. Just call the credit card co and reverse the charges!