Owasso, Oklahoma
8.6K views 94 comments

Update by user Jan 29, 2012

Approximately one year ago I paid a hefty price for a silver lab puppy from Patrick Wickliffe in Springfield,OH. Recently, my lab developed significant hair loss accompanied by lesions and sores. After several painful skin scrapes and two biopsies it was determined that she suffers from color dilution...

Original review posted by user Jan 29, 2012

alopecia, a genetic disorder directly caused by breeding these dogs for their color.I approached the breeder via email to no avail.

However, he quickly updated his website to include that "alpaca"(I assume he means alopecia) can occur but is not covered by the health warranty. Luckily, my dog does not suffer from alpaca!! I sent a second email andApproximately one year ago I paid a hefty price for a silver lab puppy from Patrick Wickliffe in Springfield,OH. Recently, my lab developed significant hair loss accompanied by lesions and sores.

After several painful skin scrapes and two biopsies it was determined that she suffers from color dilution he finally responded by copying and pasting the health warranty, alpaca included. When I was buying a pup from him he always responded to my emails. He must think I want my money back which I don't. I wanted him to know that my beloved pet suffers from a rare genetic disorder that inflicts pain for which there is no cure.

I also wanted him to know that the dermatologic veternarian,after receiving the pathology report(regarding skin biopsies) from the Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab Center for Veterinary Health Sciences from Oklahoma State University,recommended that my dog should never be bred. Additionally, she recommends "against further breeding of either the sire or the dam" from which my dog was produced. My concern is that there are other people out there buying this "fad" color without realizing the issues that accompany it.

I would hope that Mr.Wickliffe would stop breeding the dam and sire after I provided him with this information.

Review about: Sick Puppy.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Wicks Silver Labs?

Comments

Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania, United States #1260532

I am sorry you are having troubles with your pup. Unfortunately the dilute gene that makes your dog silver is the reason for the disease. Dilute Labradors should not be bred

#1119097

Hello my husband and I paid 900 for a silver lab and have been searching for the answer to her hair loss.Our vet told us it was a food allergy.

Problem is no matter what food we give her she still looses her coat. I was so happy (not happy for the poor dogs) to see your post saying what I asked the vet already hundreds of dollars ago. I think these breeders should be stopped and NOT allowed AKC reg. They are only hurting the breeds and breeding for color or to combine breeds for new ones without any concern about what it does to these poor animals (owners too).

Thank you so very much. Now we come to our vet it's quite possible he is just a small town vet only wanting to make money, we pay a lot of money for her to see him and the special diet he sells us because of her food allergy. If its ok with you I will show both the vet and the breeder your article.

Thank you again.Oh ya time for a new vet too!

El Paso, Texas, United States #992605

This is what happens when you want some "designer" dog that was never meant to be ..

your dog's medical issues are your fault because it's people like you who create the demand for breeding.Adopt don't shop!

ksh
to Anonymous #1252599

The dogs already exist, *** hat.

dklisiak

You should report this breeder to the proper authorities. Puppy Mills & people that buy from them really need to think about what they are doing.

Not all breeders are liars & thief's but the ones that are need to be shut down.

Gainesville, Florida, United States #958616

I will never feel bad for someone who paid $1000 for a puppy... There is something really wrong with that

Reputable Breeders Only

Anonymous -- you couldn't be more wrong.Please do NOT lump all breeders into one category.

There is a small percentage of breeders out there doing things right. Improving the health and structure of the breed.

Not sure if you are aware -- that most dogs in shelters end up there due to behavioral issues. Granted, temperament is about 90% genetic.

REAL breeders know this.

I volunteer for a rescue organization and have seen this first hand. The early spay/neuter program has done its job, but is now killing our dogs. We now need to promote TRAINING!

In regards to the "Pissed Consumer".

You purchased a Labrador with a disqualifying fault. I am so sorry you were taken in by this person -- however, the first sign that something was wrong was that this "money grubbing puppy miller" was breeding a "silver" Labrador. There is no such thing as a "silver". In the early 20th century another less than reputable breeder crossed a Labrador with a Weimaraner and then registered the litter as purebred Labs with the AKC.

Unfortunately that was so many generations ago that it is impossible to prove with DNA at this point; however, you need to only look at the dog to see the Weimaraner characteristics.

Education is power.

to Reputable Breeders Only #1033203

Most dogs end up in shelters due to irresponsible owners.They don't spay, neuter, socialize or train them.

They think they are suppose to magically learn manners.Once they are not a cute puppy or are inconvenient they dump them.

Bob
Cranford, New Jersey, United States #905420

Puppy mills should be abolished!

I have to comment because people who buy dogs from breeders should expect some kind of problem. Breeders in breed which causes all sorts of genetic problems as well as breed specific problems. With so many healthy unwanted animals in the world I wonder why anyone would pay alot for any pet