Whole Foods Market - Severe Burn from Whole Foods Tea Tree Oil

Whole Foods Market, Inc

550 Bowie Street

Austin Texas 78703-4644

Dear Whole Foods,

On or about, January 2016, I purchased a bottle of Tea Tree essential oil from Whole Foods in Oakland.

I have used essential oils for years with no complications.

I used the oil as I normally do, and applied a small amount to my underarms. The oil caused severe painful and disfiguring burns to my underarms. Due to the pain and the fact the burns have not healed I had to see a doctor on April 1, 2016. The physician examined me and said I had suffered a severe burn caused by the oil.

As of this date, the burn and pain still has not healed.

I enclose pictures of the burns and the bottle of oil that I purchased.

I am asking for reasonable compensation for my pain, suffering, disfigurement and medical expenses.

This letter is an attempt to seek a fair resolution of my damages caused by your product without resort to legal process.

I cannot wear tank tops or clothing that shows this disfigurement due to embarrassment. I am forced to cover my arms while working out and swimming due to the stigma and embarrassment from this disfigurement.

I look forward to hearing from you in the spirit of seeking of a fair resolution of my claim.

Sincerely,

Rachel Roth

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Tea Tree Oil
Review category
Food Stores
review #827252

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Whole Foods Market? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
24 of 72 Whole Foods Market reviews

Apr 11, 2016 #1142999

You clearly failed to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil. Your so-called disfigurement and embarrassment is entirely your own fault. Whole Foods does not owe you a dime.

2 1 Reply
rollo2016

Apr 10, 2016 #1142419

Ah! Another believer in the "healing power" of essential oils. I assume you rubbed tea tree oil over some parts of your body as a massage oil in order to obtain some sort of benefit. Most essential oils are harmless---as well as pretty useless---it's all in your head---but pure tea tree oil can, indeed cause burns when used full strength. This is no secret and there are warnings on many sites about using it full strength and/or discontinuing use if you have any reaction to it. I use tea tree oil for some things, mainly as an antiseptic but never full strength as it is strong stuff, indeed. The inflammation you experienced will go away with time---a few days or so. Just wash the inflamed area with a mild soap like Ivory and then put some hand cream or such on the area to moisturize it a couple of times a day. You'll survive.

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Whole Foods Market.
Filing a new complaint about
×