Wen - Fastest Way to Remove Hair

425 of 1511 Wen reviews

Update added by user Mar 10, 2015

It's come to my attention that there are two very different formulations of Wen - The Chaz Dean Wen sold at ChazDean.com lists it's ingredients on the site.The Guthy-Renker formula sold at Wen.com does not list it's complete ingredient list anywhere on the site.

It is not the same product at all. They are complete frauds, and this is where our product came from. Someone noted the difference in the labels. Chaz Dean's simply says "Wen" and Guthy Renker's says "Wen by Chaz Dean".

I do not know what in the shampoo is causing so many to lose their hair, and if it is only Guthy Renker's product, but I suspect it is. Chaz Dean's 2nd ingredient is aloe vera gel, followed by glycerin. Guthy Renker's product's 2nd ingredient is glycerin followed by cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol.

Here are the complete ingredient lists for each...

Chaz Dean's Wen

Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole WheatProtein, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, CitricAcid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone,Fragrance

Guthy-Renker's Wen

Water,Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract

Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Limonene

Original review posted by user Mar 08, 2015

My 10 year old daughter, who lost her hair from Wen Cleansing Conditioner, granted permission to share this photo in hopes of preventing others from using Wen and having the same catastrophic results.Do your research and don't buy this product.

She was given it by her grandmother, who raved about it (really just parroting the infomercial.) so I didn't think to look at reviews before using. Wow, am I sorry about that! There are hundreds of hair loss reports just on pissedconsumer.com, and hundreds more around the web. There is no question her hair loss was from Wen.

First loss was noticed days after first use. Subsequent uses her hair literally just slipped right off her head. Having had the product so hyped up that is was so gentle, I still didn't suspect it until someone sent info on the class action suit. Grandma's hair also thinned severely.

5 months later, my girl has patchy growth on about 1/3 of her head.It is OK to re-share the photo.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Cleansing Conditioner
Review category
Cosmetics and Toiletries
review #605253

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Wen? Submit review ›
Helpful? 22 Yes 22 3 No 3
Had the same issue 16 Yes 16
425 of 1511 Wen reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 02 #1235225 Somerton, Arizona, United States

0 0 Reply

Apr 02 #1138358

Bless your hearts. This is so sad. My hair has thinned so much these last few years and I used wen, I never knew this was the reason I've lost over 1/2 of my original thickness. I hope I can get it back, as I an older woman. God bless all.

3 0 Reply

Mar 23 #1132688

It would be WAY more splotchy. That kid has cancer and I doubt she's your daughter.

5 3 Reply

Mar 21 #1131233

I think you are a liar..pretty sure that is a stolen image of a child with cancer

5 4 Reply
Mariah

Feb 09 #1109279 Los Angeles, California, United States

Maybe she used too much and left it in too long. You dont go by the directions you are only suppose to use as much as you need. She only had a little hair so she did not need that much to start off with. Depending on the thickness of your hair and how rough or soft it is will let you know by your own knowledge how much too use.
If you have thin soft healthy hair than you dont need to use hardley any wen conditionar. If you have thick course hair than use a good size about two thick pumps and leave it in about 1-2 hours depending on how much you use it. If you use it everyday than dont leave in more than 5 minnutes. If you use it 2 times a week leave in 15 minnutes to 30 minnutes for thick course hair. If you use too much and leave it in too long than that could be why she lost her hair.
Healthy hair that is not dyed, permed, course, or bleached does not need Wen.

0 5 Reply
DeniceinAZ2

Feb 01 #1104237

Thanks for pointing out this very important distinction. I then purchasing through QVC for the last three years which is when my hair loss started. Numerous doctors appointments and lab work could not find any medical reason. I never linked the possibility of the product being the cause. I checked my product from QVC and sure enough it is not from Chaz Dean directly.
I really, really appreciate the distinction that you have pointed out. I wish someone would post that information linking to joining the lawsuit.
Denice

2 0 Reply
sorry red face

Sep 02, 2015 #1028749 Tacoma, Washington, United States

I'VE READ THEASE REPORTS TOO JUST NEVER SEEN THE EFFECTS ....THANK YOU ....BY THE WAY DID HER HAIR GROW BACK .....I'VE HEARD ALOT OF PEOPLE THEY HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE GROWING IT BACK ! THIS SCARES ME!
(I've used it before and it does feel great on my hair ) THANK GOD I WAS AT A FRIEND'S HOUSE!
BELIEVE ME I'LL NEVER BUY IT OR USE IT AGAIN. ......POOR GRANDMA MUST FEEL SO BAD IT DID THAT:(
THANK YOU AND GIVE THEM BOATH LOTS OF LOVE AND SUPPORT :)
HOPE ALL IS BETTER NOW!
(By the way couldn't you win some kind of lawsuit for this??? Sighned.......have a great day ! & HOPE ALL IS WELL NOW!!

9 0 Reply

Apr 21, 2015 #975012

This is probably due to her type of hair. Her hair might have been already too soft. It's probably best for coarse hair type bcz of the chemicals used in it to eliminate freeze (it seems to straighten or blow out the hair somehow), etc... I've tought abt but never actually tried it on my head, byt Most people with coarse and "A.A." hair type who use it don't seem to have/have had any issue with it.

2 15 Reply

Mar 19, 2015 #960742

Have any of you read the back of thefor shampoo you use now and see the difference in them. I wanted to use wen because I have heard good things about it but if it makes you loss your hair I will pass. Regular shampoo is not good for your hair either but it don't made it fall out. I will stick to my sauve professional with mint(which is good for your hair) and rosemary gets it clean and smells great

4 0 Reply
GuthyRenkerHelp

Mar 13, 2015 #958024

Hello, We would like to learn more about your daughter's experience. If you could please contact our Corporate Customer Service Escalation Team here: http://www.wen.com/lp/cet so that we can speak with you directly and learn more, someone will be in touch with you shortly once the form is received. Thank you.

5 30 Reply

Mar 12, 2015 #957261

I was told today that Chaz Dean stands behind both versions of his product. Of course they stick their head in the sand and say "we believe there is no merit in these claims." Well, there is merit. I have not a speck of doubt what caused the hair loss. Having it all come out in my hands while washing her hair was extremely traumatic and not something I could forget! :-( Just why - that is the question!

6 0 Reply

Sep 02, 2015 #1028755

Was this all at one use??? That is very scary !

0 0 Reply

Mar 12, 2015 #957257

Please contact the FDA, also, have you left your own review?

3 0 Reply
Monte_Alto

Dec 27, 2015 #1084457

From what I understand, the FDA has been receiving reports on this product for over 4 years. It's still on the market.

2 0 Reply
Christiana50

Mar 11, 2015 #957042 Centerville, Texas, United States

Thank you for listing the ingredients. I think perhaps that is the problem, why some experience hair loss while others do not. I, too, ordered from an infomercial. I, too, experienced severe hair loss, though, not as bad as your daughters! I loved the smell, the tingle and then two weeks after starting it, I watched the parade of hair flow down the shower drain! Then hair on the floor as I combed, hair in the sink, etc. I had no idea what was suddenly doing it, so I didn't stop the product ... as I trusted it. Sheesh. After several days of handfuls of hair coming out, I googled hair loss products for help in my sudden hair loss ... and accidentally stumbled across a complaint site on Wen products, reading the exact same scenario I was experiencing! I was livid! My head full of fine hair was now a partially haired head. :( That was a few months ago. I have had some slight regrowth but in reading others comments, I am hopeful that it will get better. I am taking Natural Bounty Hair, Skin and Nails with Biotin vitamins, recommended by my Dermatologist for possible hair regrowth. In thinking about this, my daughter who has naturally curly hair was experiencing drastic hair loss. I called her to ask if she was also using Wen and she was!!!! She had also been sick and after a few days of laying in bed she had a knot in her hair so bad she had to have her long hair cut off into a short style. I have no... Show more

7 2 Reply

Mar 12, 2015 #957253

Have you called the FDA? It's very very important if we are to save others from this experience. I hope you saved the product, but even if you haven't you can still file a report. This is the FDA number for complaints from Texas. 855-630-2112 Here is the link to all regional FDA complaint coordinators by state ...

7 2 Reply

Aug 25, 2015 #1024354

It appears the FDA isn't interested after I contacted them about the Wen prodcut, and this, after suffering permenent, total-body hair loss, including my entire pubic area!! If I wanted a full Brazilian, I would have done laser hair removal at my local beauty spa, NOT by using a single bottle of Wen!?!? Now I look like a prepubecent toddler or some shaved-hairless *** star and I can't stand it!! The FDA won't help us, they're only concerned with protecting pharmaceutical and GMO corporations from being sued for damages, NOT complaints like mine from consumers like you and I. These are the same people who still protect Big Tobacco companies from class-action law suits after cigarettes kill or maim people's loved ones.

11 2 Reply

Mar 03 #1121336

Great review. Very entertaining.

2 2
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.