Web King or Court Jester? You Decide.
Update added by user Mar 12, 2011
Update added by user Mar 12, 2011
Original review posted by user Mar 12, 2011
To begin with, this website looks like it was built by an amateur. It looks more like the website of a children's party performer than a web designer. The music is off-putting to say the least. The homepage prominently features "custom websites starting at $99", but on the pricing page it clearly states that the price is $69.50 per hour, and they recommend a minimum of five hours to start. In order to get a $99 website, it would have to be completed in just over an hour. This is obviously impossible. I also noticed that in addition to web design, they offer search engine optimization services. Being a web developer and SEO myself, this peaked my interest, so I decided to fill out the free quote form for curiosity's sake.
I received a phone call from the "Web King" himself later that day. He immediately tried to get me to buy a domain name by telling me that the "really good" ones he had found for me could be taken within a couple of hours if I didn't purchase them right away. That's a pretty sneaky trick if you ask me. It's a good thing I know better.
I asked him if he had W3C validation, and of course he said yes. That was a lie. His code actually has 93 errors and 224 warnings. If you are a web designer, your code must validate. Period! Similarly, if you are an SEO Specialist, you should know how to construct META tags and where to put them. The META tags for this site are invisible to search engines because they were placed between the & tags of the document. Nothing should ever be placed between these two tags. If you're trying to sell SEO services, your own site should also be optimized for search-engine-friendliness. Would you hire a contractor whose own house was made of straw?
Next, I began asking SEO related questions. The first red flag came up when he told me he uses automated software that submits your site to over 600,000 search engines. He also charges $25 a month for this software to continue submitting your site. (There are only a few major search engines most people use, and they are free to submit to, so it is a complete waste of money to purchase this "service".) In general, this is a very bad practice anyway, as it can result in search engine spam, which can get a site banned from indexing. Honestly, submitting to search engines is nearly irrelevant now because of the way robots crawl websites. They are usually very good at indexing sites even if they have not been submitted.
Next, I asked him if he could explain SEO to me. He said there are three elements of SEO - keywords, Meta tags, and "keyword enhancement pages". This is incorrect. There are many on page and off page elements of SEO. On page elements include optimizing Meta tags, alt tags, anchor tags, and anchor text. Some off page elements include link building, directory submissions, social media linking and optimization, etc. He also said he uses pay-per-click, which is generally frowned upon. He included Google Adwords as a part of his SEO services (unnecessary). You can go straight to Google for this, so why would you pay him to do it for you when you are also paying for the Adwords themselves? The one that really got me, though, was that I would have to "bid" on my keywords, or pay money to be able to use them in my tags. Also not true.
I asked him what the difference between organic SEO and "black hat" SEO was. He told me that what he does is organic, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, his hat looks pretty black from here. His definition of organic SEO was that it is "what happens after pay-per-click works and you don't need it anymore, but this process can take up to two to three years to work". This is just, plain ridiculous. Is he actually saying it takes him two to three years to get a site to rank in search engines?
His explanation of "black hat" SEO was just as ridiculous. He said it is the "use of high ranking, irrelevant keywords, such as the names of celebrities, in the keywords Meta tag in order to rank higher". This doesn't even make sense. There are a number of underhanded, sneaky, and unethical tactics employed by "black hat" SEO ***-artists, and the "Web King" uses many of them, such as the automated search engine submission software.
Finally, he claims to be #1 on Google, but I couldn't find any evidence of that. I performed searches for his top five keywords (according to his META tags), and the site is not listed on the first 5 results pages for any of its main keywords. He told me he could get my site ranked between #1 & #3 on Google's first results page depending on how much money I was willing to spend. This was the last in a long line of red flags, as that is not how SEO works at all.
Bottom line, the "Web King" is a crook and a joke. Do not purchase any web services through this company unless you like wasting money and don't mind having a website that looks as if a child with no knowledge of HTML code designed it. If you purchase SEO services through this company, don't be surprised when your site gets banned by Google and other major search engines. My advice is to seek a reputable web developer &/or SEO, and do your homework to ensure their credibility. There are many free resources on the 'net that will analyze code validity and both on and off page SEO elements. Your business is your livelihood. Don't trust it to anyone who cannot even pass a few basic code and SEO validation checks!
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Web Hosting
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "DO NOT purchase Web Watcher iOS to monitor you kids iPod usage. Their screenshots of the features were misleading and made it look like it records "everything", but it..."
- "My husband bought me a bracelet in December of 2013 with about 6 charms. Within one week, one rhinestone from the link locket fell out along with a single rhinestone..."
- "I just ordered a dvd from CCNow a division of Snorrason ehf. Last of the Dogmen dvd, $10.00 plus $3.95 shipping. I have checked my balance and they have taken..."
- "Just bought these 2 months ago. Today the sole at the heel came away from the sneaker. They must use some pretty cheap glue to have them fall apart after..."
- "We pay $102.49 a month for 1. Plain home phone service. It comes with extra *** which we don't use. We have an answering machine and not interested in 3-way..."
- "We ordered a shower finish trim kit from KB kitchen and Bath. It took 3 weeks to get. It took us a little longer to finish to tile in the..."
- "Strawberry cheesecake had several strands of blond hair in the container with strawberry cheesecake. I was enjoying cheesecake until I saw this hair. One strand of the blond hair was..."
- "I filed a complaint with these people about a week and a half ago, I just got a call today saying that they need a copy of the bounced check..."
- "I recently won the First MUV fitness challenge for the Columbiana Gym. I lost 79 lbs. but lost the overall winner because of the staff for MUV fitness allowed the..."