1990 Chickasha Dr.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center,

Medical Center Boulevard,

Winston-Salem, NC 27157

To Whom It May Concern:

Let me first say that I have almost nothing but praise for the care I have received at Family Medicine-Reynolda.

This note is primarily in regard to an incident which occurred earlier today during my visit to that facility. During my very perfunctory examination of a rather personal nature by “Amy,” a physician’s assistant there, and a nurse (in the presence of my wife) I chose to relieve my own tension by making a joke. The exam required that I remove my pants. After covering myself with a gown I was told to lie down on the exam table. I removed my underwear so that everyone present could have an unobstructed view of my anus. In a matter of seconds the exam was over and I was told I could dress. Somewhat surprised by the brevity of the examination I remarked “is that all? Don’t I even get a kiss?”

My wife found it amusing. However, Amy and/or the nurse present must not have seen the humor in my attempt to relieve my own tension. Dr. Neal Sparks, with whom I have a very cordial relationship, came in and told me that such remarks were not acceptable. (With regard to acceptability, I am not sure whether Amy and Dr. Sparks’ discussion of the non-medical aspects my care was a violation of confidentiality). Nevertheless, I offered to apologize. Dr. Sparks indicated that it would not be necessary. I still feel the need to express my regret about what took place. It may be that I should learn to cope with my own insecurities in more socially acceptable ways. We are, after all, on the dangerous precipice of electing a crude and thoughtless man as President of the United States of America.

I am sure that you realize that self-deprecating humor is not an uncommon means for a patient to relieve the stress of seeking embarrassing, medical attention. It might be useful to train your staff regarding the various ways patients use to cope with their emotional discomfort. For a doctor or physician’s assistant to complain and seek redress through a superior over patient’s coping mechanisms might be interpreted as being judgmental. My trust in the doctor-patient relationship has been harmed. I wonder whether it would be beneficial to screen your health professionals to discover whether they might hold negative feelings regarding, interpersonal relationships, certain aspects of their profession, or the kinds of people they are likely to treat.

I find it strange that a highly educated, trained medical professional would be offended by a remark regarding an expression of love. I did not honestly expect a kiss, except from perhaps my wife who was there to help me. Health professionals who lack a sense of humor, those who have certain psychological impediments in discussing matters of love, as well as doctors who lack sensitivity regarding the feelings of patients might do well to examine their own feelings regarding interpersonal relationships. Perhaps I should be more sensitive to the possibility that Amy may have been recently disappointed in love. Nonetheless, as a patient, I believe that humorless, judgmental behavior among health professionals is detrimental to the care of those who seek treatment.

In the future, I will avoid any professional relationship with Amy and her nurse. I will warn others that there are health professionals in the Wake Forest Medical Center community who are easily offended by references to innocent expressions of love, especially when offered in humor.

Your concern is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Clive Peter Deane, Jr.

Review about: Family Medine Reynolda.

I liked: General service.

I didn't like: One incident.

3.6
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Poor customer service / Not specified
Preferred solution Let the company propose a solution

Had an Experience with Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center?

Comments

Be first to start a discussion.