Vpi Pet Insurance - Anybody Else feel duped by VPI coverage and then caveat regarding pets 10 years or older?
Around 27 December 2014, I signed up and paid premium plus (some other charge, I think) for 1 five year old Corgi and entered age 11 for my cat.
I recall a "Congratulations, We'll Take it From Here" last screen and I felt sure via what was posed on this same Congrats screen that both animals would be covered, I think, within 14 days.
Small print? Not sure. I do remember something about a policy being mailed to me.
I did receive a package in the mail from VPI. Given the holiday rushing and recuperating; I wasn't particularly thorough in what's what.
14 January 2015, I was woken by my cat in the morning, around 9AM; he was insistent and I got out of bed where the corgi stayed on the bed (weird... she follows me everywhere).
My living room was on fire; smoke billowing, 5 smaller fires around the room. It was horrific. My hero cat still meowing; I yelled for him, over and over. I tried proceeding to find him; the fire closest to me flared high and the smoke became black and thick.
I only remember clearly ripping the bedroom window screen out; and lifting my chunky corgi Ripley up and out and dropped carefully out the window. Still screaming for my cat; I barely remember diving out the window.
I was sure Tony was lost.
I tried breaking down a steel door and breaking the big picture window... thank God, I didn't. The extra oxygen would have consumed him.
Fire fighters rescued Tony; he was rescued with his feet on fire; overcome by smoke.
Miraculously, he was revived and a savvy Vet and 4 weeks of inpatient Vet care, he's recovered, hair is growing over most the burns; whiskers filling out. He's missing half a foot and half his toes; he's maimed, but he's mine. He saved our lives.
Electrical fire. The hardwired alarm, useless without electricity.
It was a miracle to me that I had just bought pet insurance.
After the fire and shock; mail was being gone through. My computer ruined; no access to bookmarks, emails, docs....
Then I see a VPI letter, somewhat scolding, how I need to provide a Vet Well Check for my cat... a requirement this paper letter said, in order to cover a pet 10 years and older or older than 10 years.
Borrowing a computer, I found an email of the same kind of caveat. Tony, in short, was not covered for the fire injuries. He was 11.
I emailed VPI from my Dad's PC and asked for confirmation that I paid and they took an online transfer of funds for policies for both corgi and cat.
I was never responded to.
It's a creepy, narrow window of small print and caveat; VPI policies bought on 27 December, their start schedule, 14 January 15 fire, and my hero fire cat's coverage.
Almost everything I owned was destroyed by fire, smoke, heat, water, and by products. Renter's insurance is tricky and misleading, leaving me poorer than I was before. Injury or death of pets are not relevant in this Liberty Mutual claim.
The Vet bills. Worth every penny and more. A GoFundMe site was created for Tony the Hero Fire Cat; without my knowledge. Thank God for the generosity of people.
Bittersweet. I felt certain that my cat was covered by VPI. Charity is beautiful; I'm just unsettled about VPI and whether I was overtly or more sneakily misled.
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Sense of bait and switch
- Reason of review:
- Bad Faith practice?
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Pet Insurance Coverage
- Review category
- Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
You May Also Like
- "Beware of serious problems if you use Vectra 3D flea drops. This stuff if basically poison for your animal. It's terrible and i would like to SUE this place. ..."
- "My email invoice states I was billed $71.55 USD which would have been 44.98 British Sterling Pounds. They actually billed to my credit card $71.03 USD. This has made the..."
- "For my son's birthday I adopted a Burmese kitten for him. He was so excited and elated. As many shelter pets our new kitten contacted a URI infection. I took..."
- "You are selling a product called syringe pens. In light of all of the heroin overdoses it is highly inappropriate. Its one thing for a doctor to use it as..."
- "I'd like to bring to your attention a service and product quality breakdown (both of these). Last week I took my mother-in-law to your store because I happened to be..."
- "What a rip! Ordered beautiful arrangement from what I thought was a “family owned business”. The arrangement was delivered on time. The service train crashes at this..."
- "So unhappy with fence install here in Buffalo, NY. Home Depot only has ONE contractor they use in WNY area so BEWARE. They built my back fence too high and..."
- "I requested a quote, which they gave but were really pushy over the phone. I sent off my PS4 to have the fan fixed. Hardly heard a thing from them..."
- " I purchased a puppy from Petland South Semoran in October 2016. I paid 2,400 Needless to say I fell in love with my puppy the moment I saw him. So..."