Vpi Pet Insurance - Anybody Else feel duped by VPI coverage and then caveat regarding pets 10 years or older?

10 of 51 Vpi Pet Insurance reviews

Around 27 December 2014, I signed up and paid premium plus (some other charge, I think) for 1 five year old Corgi and entered age 11 for my cat.

I recall a "Congratulations, We'll Take it From Here" last screen and I felt sure via what was posed on this same Congrats screen that both animals would be covered, I think, within 14 days.

Small print? Not sure. I do remember something about a policy being mailed to me.

I did receive a package in the mail from VPI. Given the holiday rushing and recuperating; I wasn't particularly thorough in what's what.

14 January 2015, I was woken by my cat in the morning, around 9AM; he was insistent and I got out of bed where the corgi stayed on the bed (weird... she follows me everywhere).

My living room was on fire; smoke billowing, 5 smaller fires around the room. It was horrific. My hero cat still meowing; I yelled for him, over and over. I tried proceeding to find him; the fire closest to me flared high and the smoke became black and thick.

I only remember clearly ripping the bedroom window screen out; and lifting my chunky corgi Ripley up and out and dropped carefully out the window. Still screaming for my cat; I barely remember diving out the window.

I was sure Tony was lost.

I tried breaking down a steel door and breaking the big picture window... thank God, I didn't. The extra oxygen would have consumed him.

Fire fighters rescued Tony; he was rescued with his feet on fire; overcome by smoke.

Miraculously, he was revived and a savvy Vet and 4 weeks of inpatient Vet care, he's recovered, hair is growing over most the burns; whiskers filling out. He's missing half a foot and half his toes; he's maimed, but he's mine. He saved our lives.

Electrical fire. The hardwired alarm, useless without electricity.

It was a miracle to me that I had just bought pet insurance.

After the fire and shock; mail was being gone through. My computer ruined; no access to bookmarks, emails, docs....

Then I see a VPI letter, somewhat scolding, how I need to provide a Vet Well Check for my cat... a requirement this paper letter said, in order to cover a pet 10 years and older or older than 10 years.

Borrowing a computer, I found an email of the same kind of caveat. Tony, in short, was not covered for the fire injuries. He was 11.

I emailed VPI from my Dad's PC and asked for confirmation that I paid and they took an online transfer of funds for policies for both corgi and cat.

I was never responded to.

It's a creepy, narrow window of small print and caveat; VPI policies bought on 27 December, their start schedule, 14 January 15 fire, and my hero fire cat's coverage.

Almost everything I owned was destroyed by fire, smoke, heat, water, and by products. Renter's insurance is tricky and misleading, leaving me poorer than I was before. Injury or death of pets are not relevant in this Liberty Mutual claim.

The Vet bills. Worth every penny and more. A GoFundMe site was created for Tony the Hero Fire Cat; without my knowledge. Thank God for the generosity of people.

Bittersweet. I felt certain that my cat was covered by VPI. Charity is beautiful; I'm just unsettled about VPI and whether I was overtly or more sneakily misled.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Sense of bait and switch

Reason of review:
Bad Faith practice?
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Pet Insurance Coverage
Review category
Pet Medicine and Veterinary Clinics
review #638906 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Vpi Pet Insurance? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
10 of 51 Vpi Pet Insurance reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Vpi Pet Insurance.
Filing a new complaint about
×