United Furniture Warehouse - Do NOT Shop Here!!
What a terrible store! Do yourself a favour and DO NOT shop here, no matter how cheap their prices are.
I purchased a couch last week along with a coffee table, and thought I was getting a great deal and a super comfy couch. I went in there and immediately had a salesperson approach me. I explained to him that I just moved into a 550 square foot apartment and I need a couch. I told him I didn't have room for anything too big or even a set. The very first couch he took me to was very comfortable and I loved it. That was the one I picked and we arranged to have it delivered 2 days later. I knew I needed a coffee table as well so I decided to buy the one that was with the couch.
First thing that happened was I never received the phone call I was promised to let me know a time window that they would arrive. So I ended up confined at home all day on Sunday waiting for the delivery truck and they finally showed up at 5:00 pm. They didn't even bother taking it out of the truck before they told me that there was no way that couch was getting through the hallways and elevator to my apartment. They told me that this particular couch (The "Allen" style) was their BIGGEST couch and no apartments could ever fit it. This was a problem they saw time and time again. I told them that I had been without a couch for 2 weeks and could they please try to fit it? They brought it to the stairs and tried to go up that way, and sure enough it wouldn't fit. The couch was indeed way too big, but I never realized it when I was looking at it in the giant, open-concept store.
The delivery guys even told me that the salesperson should have known that the couch had issues fitting into apartments and basements. They said this couch has been returned many many times for that reason. When I told them that was actually the FIRST couch he showed me after I said I lived in an apartment they looked pretty shocked. I had explicitly told the salesperson the square footage of my apartment and that I didn't have room for anything too big.
As soon as they left, I called the store right away to speak to the assistant store manager and I told her I wanted to make a complaint about the salesperson, because now I was going to have to wait at least another week when I had time to shop for a couch again and have it delivered. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the floor in my living room when I come home from work each day.
The manager was very apologetic and told me that I could have a full refund, but I would need to come into the store with my credit card for that. I went in the other day to look at what else they had because I thought I'd give them another chance and just do an exchange. There was a different salesperson this time, and she told me the same thing that the manager did - if I didn't find anything I liked I could have a full refund. I didn't find anything I wanted, but wanted to think about it some more so I left without a couch or a refund.
I went in there today to collect my refund, and the employee at the front desk informed me after I questioned her about the smaller amount that she was refunding, that I could not have the delivery charge of $90 refunded. She said it was against their company policy and she wouldn't do it. She even called the assistant store manager, who told her that "she didn't realize when I asked for a refund that they had already tried to deliver the couch" even though I had CALLED HER right after the delivery guys had been at my place! She said that because they had came out to my apartment, I had to pay for that. Even though the delivery did not take place because they took the couch right back and barely took it off the truck.
To top it all off I finally had time tonight to unpack the coffee table and put it together, and there are major defects in the surface of the table. It has stone tiles on it and one of them has a huge groove through the middle of it and is extremely unattractive. I just called their customer service number, and was actually told that even the defective coffee table may not be refundable and it's totally up to the store manager's discretion!
I am very unhappy about my first (and LAST) experience with United Furniture Warehouse. I will be getting my credit card company involved in order to get a refund - but unfortunately that will probably take at least a month or two.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Purchased leather Big Picture package ($1999.99) from Garner White with the leather protection coverage ($99.00). Leather Is crumbling between the cushions, arm rest, and back rest area (see pics). Product..."
- "Let me start by saying that I really like Modloft design and price points. I was very excited to order and receive the product, however as the previous customer stated,..."
- "My husband and I purchased a sectional from Ashley and as the others have stated, the Durablend started peeling. The salesperson had also told us that Durablend was more durable..."
- "This clinic removes all of the many negative comments almost immediately from its Instagram page..... but sometimes you catch one before it disappears! Nadia's comment has already vanished! Check for..."
- "What I thought was a service to find out owners of phone numbers, turned out to be a call complaint website. I went there many times to look up a..."
- "Steak 'n Shake Friday Evening 01/20/17 When I arrived there were ; 7 occupied tables, parties of 7,4,2,2,3,4,3 customers & 1@counter One server appeared to be working with a second..."
- "Just an update to what already ben posted here. Unlimited does NOT mean unlimited. According to their terms of service, you cannot use them a storage, backups or anything else..."
- "We purchased some property in Windsor Ontario and were also referred to Ontario Property Management. We paid for renovations, in particular a new roof and shingles. The work was not..."
- "On May 29, 2015 @ around 8:40 pm I went to Michael Kors outlet in Crossiron Mall in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I purchased a handbag for my mother's birthday (receipt included). While..."