Travelex - First "NIGHTMARE" trip abroad...

2 of 5 Travelex reviews

Update added by user Feb 08

This is how TravelEx responds to legitimate claims:

From: Better Business Bureau, Inc.

To: Ms.Janet L Halliday

Subject: This complaint has been closed without response from the business

This message originally read on 2/8/2016 Janet Halliday

Dear Janet Halliday : This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 1/5/2016 against Travelex Insurance Services.

Your complaint was assigned ID 11025257. The BBB has processed your complaint to the above referenced company. Our purpose is to serve both parties in a dispute by acting as a neutral third party. We attempt to help both sides find a voluntary solution to the complaint.

We are unable to compel a company to respond to or resolve complaints. We regret to inform you that the company has not responded to your complaint. If we do receive a response in the future, a copy will be sent to you. You may wish to seek the advice of an attorney, or file a claim in Small Claims Court.

Your complaint will remain on file for three years and will be reported to the public that the company did not respond. This will also result in a negative change to the company's BBB rating. If the company is a BBB Accredited Businesses, an unanswered complaint can subject them to the loss of their accreditation. If you have resolved this with the company please notify the BBB.

Should you provide additional information, please note the BBB publishes the details of complaints received by our office. The text of your complaint may be publicly posted on BBBs Web site (There are a few instances when a complaint does not meet publishing guidelines and BBB reserves the right to not post in accordance with BBB policy). Please do not include any personally identifiable information when you tell us about your problem or in your desired outcome. By submitting your complaint, you are representing that it is a truthful account of your experience with the business.

BBB may edit your complaint to protect privacy rights and to remove inappropriate language.Regards, Jeffrey Complaint Handler The Better Business Bureau

Original review posted by user Jan 05

We took out a 20k travel insurance policy, which carried 150% trip interruption plan; Cost: $1,000.We were to take an expedition to Antarctica, so we booked the insurance from door-2-door to be safe.

We flew to Buenos Aires on day 1, on Day 2 the trip was cancelled due to ice berg damage to our ship. TravelEx sent us a check for the CHANGE FEE ONLY (which was $600) and didn't reimburse the plane ticket that got us there. Who pays 3k for airfare to BA for a weekend?!? AND, why wouldn't they cover at least HALF that expense as immediate travel back home?

Can you spell FRAUD!?!

I don't understand how they are allowed to make these reparations without discussing anything with us. They allowed no interaction while making their decision and leave us with no alternative other than to complain here. Our trip coverage was at 150%, yet we received piddly based on our costs. AT MOST they could be paying for 150% of the full cost for our first cancelled trip, and then we'd pay the cost of the rebooked trip out of that money!!!

I've tried to explain to them about flights back and they don't care...is this the way its really supposed to work???

200 people lost a lot of money with this incident, and all had to have at least the bare minimum of Travelex's insurance.It feels like, to me, THEY made a lot of money with this incident :(

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Insurance Quality

Reason of review:
Problems with payment
Preferred solution:
I want the costs of my flight to BA - no one spends over 4k just to fly to a foreign country and stay there for 1 day! This insurance plan was door-2-door, and their were 200 folks on this trip that also had similar claims...looks like TravelEx made out!
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Travelex Insuance
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #764570 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Travelex? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
2 of 5 Travelex reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
TravelexAdmin

Jan 11 #1092466

Hello,
We do appreciate you notifying us regarding your concerns. We review and process our clients’ claims with every consideration related to the details of the situation. Occasionally, additional documentation is required by our claims administrator in order to validate coverage as it relates to the specific conditions as listed in the plan purchased.
Based on the limited information you have provided in this feedback post, we are unable to review the necessary information related to your policy. Please feel free to provide me with your information (first and last name & confirmation number) so I can contact the appropriate claims administrator on your behalf to further assist you. Please forward this information to TISReviews@travelexinsurance.com.
Kind regards,
Angela Kleen – Travelex Administration

0 0 Reply
jlhalliday1

Jan 11 #1092583

I know you said to submit this information to the email above, but I wanted to let you know I've attempted to speak with them twice now, and I get the same answer. I bought TRIP insurance from DOOR to DOOR and all they will cover is airfare CHANGE fees.
I'll send it again to see if this does something different...but I can't imagine this being ok with ANY consumer.
Group/Confirmation No: TTS204511

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.