Total Car Recovery/Remies Recovery - Fraudulent "VAT" charges. Avoid.
I booked an appointment with 'Total Car Recovery' to have my car towed on Weds 26th Sept. The deadline for the job to be completed was 11am, so they gave me a 1 hour slot 10-11. They quoted £85 only. I received a text confirming this.
On the day of the tow, the driver charged me £102. I asked why the extra charge? He said the extra £17 was VAT. I accepted and paid in cash, then asked for an itemised receipt to be emailed. As you can see, the receipt below says 0% VAT... So what was the charge for?? I called the driver to dispute it, he said he would call me back. After hearing nothing for 15 mins, I tried to call several times but he ignored them. I called back on a different number. He answered straight away, then, after noticing it was me, he put on a Different ACCENT. I couldn't believe it. He tried to pretend he hadn't answered. He put on this accent saying it was actually 'his brother' I spoke to and that he would call me back. It was embarrassing. Clearly he wanted to avoid speaking to me. I waited for 20 minutes and heard nothing.
I called 'Total Recovery' which I assume is head office for 'Remies Recovery'. I explained there is 0% VAT on the receipt and asked why the driver charged me extra, when I was only quoted £85. They said I had to speak to the driver himself. I told them the driver is pretending to be different people to avoid my calls. They said they would speak to him to call me back.
The driver calls back and changed his story. He said we were charged extra because we were 5 mins late, which made him miss his next appointment. Bare in mind, he told me at the time of payment he was charging for VAT. So why the change of story? I was confused. Also, he was not late for his next appointment because I booked a 1 hour slot. My car had been delivered at 11:40 - TWENTY minutes earlier than it had to be. So that was a lie.
I asked which one it was, the VAT or the lateness? Because he was well ahead of schedule. £17 extra does not warrant being 5 minutes late. My arrival time had nothing to do with his next appointment because it was all within my 1 hour timeslot.
To cut a long story short, he changed his story from the extra payment being for "VAT" charges, to "late" charges when he noticed I realised it said 0% VAT on the receipt. These people are fleecing customers, pocketing money for themselves AND clearly avoiding tax payments. So I shall report them to HMRC and share my story to warn people about this company. Avoid them completely.
More Review Details
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Take my advice and stay clear of this company! I went through *** trying to keep them honoring the "Binding Quote" that they say they guarantee! They tried to..."
- "Purchased 2 Yamaha jet ski covers from BoatCover.com. First they were on backorder so I finally got them 17 days later after I had left the lake to winterize my..."
- ""The Storage Center "located on Red Bud Lane in Round Rock Texas where I rented a unit, paid in full, and have my personal property stored, is being denied entry..."
- "We were totaly shock when my daughter 7yrs old said dad it is no good. i said yes it is i just made it. she said look at this. it..."
- "I was contacted by phone from an independent Century Link Representative wanting to know who my current carrier was and what I was paying for my plan. I told him..."
- "This trial period is a total rip off. Sure I was pass the fourteen days calling to cancel but as I tried to tell the woman on the phone I..."
- "Direct your complaints if you wish to Jonathan Naylor who is making a living out of investing in old debt He buys your old debt from banks then years..."
- "We bought 6 Fu-nicha "z" chairs in faux leather and a glass dining table for over £800. Within 11 months the "faux" leather covers have ripped and worn through. The..."
- "I bought a Galaxy s4 from MeriMobiles, since I opened it the battery was working 4 hours only from the moment I unplugged it, I informed them right away, they..."