Total Car Recovery/Remies Recovery - Fraudulent "VAT" charges. Avoid.
I booked an appointment with 'Total Car Recovery' to have my car towed on Weds 26th Sept. The deadline for the job to be completed was 11am, so they gave me a 1 hour slot 10-11. They quoted £85 only. I received a text confirming this.
On the day of the tow, the driver charged me £102. I asked why the extra charge? He said the extra £17 was VAT. I accepted and paid in cash, then asked for an itemised receipt to be emailed. As you can see, the receipt below says 0% VAT... So what was the charge for?? I called the driver to dispute it, he said he would call me back. After hearing nothing for 15 mins, I tried to call several times but he ignored them. I called back on a different number. He answered straight away, then, after noticing it was me, he put on a Different ACCENT. I couldn't believe it. He tried to pretend he hadn't answered. He put on this accent saying it was actually 'his brother' I spoke to and that he would call me back. It was embarrassing. Clearly he wanted to avoid speaking to me. I waited for 20 minutes and heard nothing.
I called 'Total Recovery' which I assume is head office for 'Remies Recovery'. I explained there is 0% VAT on the receipt and asked why the driver charged me extra, when I was only quoted £85. They said I had to speak to the driver himself. I told them the driver is pretending to be different people to avoid my calls. They said they would speak to him to call me back.
The driver calls back and changed his story. He said we were charged extra because we were 5 mins late, which made him miss his next appointment. Bare in mind, he told me at the time of payment he was charging for VAT. So why the change of story? I was confused. Also, he was not late for his next appointment because I booked a 1 hour slot. My car had been delivered at 11:40 - TWENTY minutes earlier than it had to be. So that was a lie.
I asked which one it was, the VAT or the lateness? Because he was well ahead of schedule. £17 extra does not warrant being 5 minutes late. My arrival time had nothing to do with his next appointment because it was all within my 1 hour timeslot.
To cut a long story short, he changed his story from the extra payment being for "VAT" charges, to "late" charges when he noticed I realised it said 0% VAT on the receipt. These people are fleecing customers, pocketing money for themselves AND clearly avoiding tax payments. So I shall report them to HMRC and share my story to warn people about this company. Avoid them completely.
More Review Details
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
Currently PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.
You May Also Like
- "April 27, Friday, Mailed 3 Passports (mine and my toddlers) and letters going to the Canadian Embassy in Makati April 28, Saturday, 1st attempt : Office Closed : returned to the..."
- "I bought model home furniture to be used in a house I had under construction. I stored it at the Self-Store on 484 in Ocala, Florida, a storage facility..."
- "I purchased a metal frame building from Versa Tube, which their engineers designed for the area of Minnesota I live in. The building collapsed! I purchased a VersaTube metal frame..."
- "Our storage unit was broken into in October 2016 - the thief was caught in plain sight by my wife, as the thief was bringing stolen possession out of the..."
- "My wife and I were traveling and attempted to use the tv.xfinity.com feature - unfortunately, after logging in, I kept getting error when trying to play recordings/tv/ondemand/anything - I called..."
- "Zazzle - you can take the order, promise the due date of the order BUT - you don't do what you say you will do and to make matters worse..."
- "I sent 5 packages from Spain to UK in Sep 2011. Four of them were electronics (computer and accessories) packaged in their original boxes with the proper protectors (original DELL..."
- "Used Videostripe.com's trial run back in 2014 and cancelled within a day, fast forward to 2016 and realised they took money from my bank account without my knowledge and consent..."
- "If you're job searching, Entry level jobs for "Direct Marketing" and "Outsourced Marketing" companies are scams. I got scammed into one - I worked for 12 hours a day, 6 days..."