Update added by user Jun 30, 2015
UPDATE- Thumbtack contacted me directly in an effort to resolve my frustration.They offered me credits to try more bids and asked for recommendations on how to make the service better.
I can appreciate the effort.I will give it one last try on their dime and see how it goes.
Update added by user Jun 26, 2015
I apologize for the typos. I was irritated and typed fast. Please do not let that reflect on my professionalism.
Update added by user Jun 26, 2015
I added a screen shot from today.$53 dollars for a headshot...in a studio.
That is what Thumbtack is advertising is a current project rate. I really have no words. Whomever is able to provide even a poor quality "studio" image for $53 probably won't be in business very long.
By posting this rate on the front page, they are literally setting the bar for what the customer (who knows nothing about photography, expenses or experience) should expect.I am officially done with Thumbtack forever after seeing this today.
Original review posted by user Jun 25, 2015
I am a photographer in the Phoenix area. I have been TRYING to use thumbtack for almost two years now. I have done everything I could possibly do to make myself appealing to potential clients. I have solid, quality work (extensive examples) posted on my profile. I answered nearly every profile question to position myself as an expert in my field. Have a background check, I respond to bids. I have 5 start reviews, I have a Gold status profile. I periodically do a week or two at buying credits and bidding thinking it's perhaps timing...they are ultimately wasted every single time. Two years ago I was actually winning a bid now and then. I was getting my rate or slightly lower. I was engaging with the potential customers and I was able to start a dialog to sell my business. They changed the customer interface sometime ago and since then I have been unable to even get close to winning a bid. I lower my rates for Thumbtack leads and tried that approach for a solid 6 months, nothing helped. More wasted time and money.
There are dozens of other photographers with very amateur, poor quality portfolios underbidding me at rates that can not possible keep their doors open. Wedding photography for 8 hours for $500?? Thumbtack wants to charge me close to $5 to bid on this too simply because the person used the word "wedding" in their request. Insult is putting it mildly.
There is ZERO filter of the leads. Thumbtack has no way of making a tier quality level of their vendors based on experience, work, reviews... I find better leads on craigslist in all honesty. If you a reputable company, carry liability insurance, produce quality work and have been in business longer than a year....forget Thumbtack. I feel that after more than 2 years, I can assess that they are a waste of time and money. Bids are a waste, texts come in non-stop with these empty bids. Anything that may be a quality bid with a normal budget is gone to the first 5 bidders in 30 seconds. No opportunity for further bidders. In the digital arts field, it takes so much more than throwing a number at something like a frisbee.
I understand budget and some people like working for next to nothing. Here is Thumbtacks Tag line "We help you hire EXPERIENCED professionals at a price thats right for you." They need to change it to "We hope you get the work you paid for since we really have no idea how experienced these vendors are because they are so cheap and we just want their bid money."
I am not one for negative reviews but I have spoken on photography forums, blogs, and groups touting Thumbtack for sometime. I have since told my peers to stay away and use their time and money on something more affective.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Product or service
- Photographer Leads
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I contracted with a company called America's Choice Construction through Thumbtack's website. The CEO of the company had previously spent 10 years in jail for fraud. When I contracted with..."
- "I created 3 different accounts with them same style and guess what, all the account receive the same "leads" all has different credit or price I should say, from..."
- "It may be a coincedence but I kinda doubt it .... Albany and Brooklyn are like two hours from each other ... I find it hard to believe that someone..."
- "Direct TV will not let you go before taking the last shot. I was a loyal customer for at least seven years and decided to go a different route...."
- "I paid $2000 by check (because they offered me a discount) in Jan 2015. I began calling in April for an estimated ship date. When I got no reply I..."
- "Hi i been playing wc for long time and i been useinng gold everyday and all the time when i play the game and i spend over then $ 7,000..."
- "i had bought a proactiv plus 3 step kit, & since then i have been receiving a ridiculous amount of proactiv + larger kits and tbh i dont remeber signing..."
- "Purchased home in 2015 - Lawn was extremely bad. After repeated promises to fix it - 18 months later it was a partial repair and they would not pay the..."
- "I found this on the internet, hoping it is easy to use. I wanted a working cheat for Cooking Fever. Then it asks for username and amount of coins and..."