My client robbed me of over $5,000 in work. When the first phase of the project was completed, she suddenly claimed I hadn't done the work (even though she had been very happy with everything I'd been doing, the contract clearly outlines what I was supposed to do, and I even did a lot of extra work over and above the contract). She happily used the work I did for her, though, even as she refused to pay me. My client also said she had fired other designers during their contracts, and claimed they hadn't done the work either; I believed her until she did the same thing to me.
I contacted Thumbtack, worried that she would continue exploiting designers on the site. They didn't even want the emails between us, copies of the work I did, or the contract between us. They contacted my former client, believed her garbage (I assume), and told me they were going to monitor MY account to make sure my clients were happy in the future!
Obviously, I deleted my account.
Be warned, designers. It all sounds fine until you realize you're just trusting a stranger with no accountability. And suing my client would've been too expensive (who knew our legal system was that absurd?), so, in the end, I was robbed of over $5,000 in work and the time I wasted when I could've been working on proper contracts.
I strongly recommend you avoid this site.
More Review Details
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Bad clients
- Exploitation of designers
- Terrible quote system
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "After seeing that a Cheryl B. from my small hometown had viewed a quote sent for pet photography I was able to see her last name. Curious, I have been..."
- "I had reservations about THUMBTACK for quite some time now but I gave it a chance. I like the concept but CERTAINLY do not believe the professionals should be..."
- "I have been a member (Photographer) on Thumb Tack for a few months. My first lead cost me two credits (not bad) to bid. I didn't get the job and..."
- "I received a letter from GECU stating that I was "pre-approved" for a credit card. When I call to inquire, I was told that I did not qualify. When I..."
- "I had booked my travel from Mumbai to London via Abu Dhabi via Etihad Airways and have had the most horrible and horrid experience I have had in my lifetime..."
- "Hidious! I placed an order for my item to arrive before Christmas. Paid for priorty shipping. Was unaware this company is based in China. My order just arrived one week..."
- "(I will put this view at all sites as I can, I was injured and not refunded or compensated at all. My e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org and destinia reservation was 2511132..."
- "Beware of Orlando Florida Credit Repair - StateWide Credit Repair! Full of false advertisements!!! My wife and I paid this company a flat fee of $450.00 to repair our credit to remove..."
- "In May of 2010 DR Horton poured the driveway to my brand new house. Whomever they contracted to pour it, covered the cap to my sewer clean out and instead..."