My client robbed me of over $5,000 in work. When the first phase of the project was completed, she suddenly claimed I hadn't done the work (even though she had been very happy with everything I'd been doing, the contract clearly outlines what I was supposed to do, and I even did a lot of extra work over and above the contract). She happily used the work I did for her, though, even as she refused to pay me. My client also said she had fired other designers during their contracts, and claimed they hadn't done the work either; I believed her until she did the same thing to me.
I contacted Thumbtack, worried that she would continue exploiting designers on the site. They didn't even want the emails between us, copies of the work I did, or the contract between us. They contacted my former client, believed her garbage (I assume), and told me they were going to monitor MY account to make sure my clients were happy in the future!
Obviously, I deleted my account.
Be warned, designers. It all sounds fine until you realize you're just trusting a stranger with no accountability. And suing my client would've been too expensive (who knew our legal system was that absurd?), so, in the end, I was robbed of over $5,000 in work and the time I wasted when I could've been working on proper contracts.
I strongly recommend you avoid this site.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Bad clients
- Exploitation of designers
- Terrible quote system
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I have always had suspicions of Thumbtack creating fake leads to take our money, known that other pros submit them to get competitors pricing and thought it possible some were..."
- "PRISTINE, Megan Stotts was fully oriented on required painting 7 rooms w/connecting hallways, Stotts agreed to do the entire job for $3500, with a starting date of 12 November,2016. A..."
- "Just had my house cleaned by Richard Armijo - RPM Company. I cannot believe I paid $89 for his work. He was in a hurry to get to his..."
- "I prepaid for a vacation at Westgate and agreed to a 90 presentation. Unfortunately I had a medical emergency & went to the front desk an hour and half..."
- "On January 15th 2015 I usually would go to Ace elite and personally deposit my paycheck I have been a regular customer for quite sometime now and decided to try..."
- "Do not get sucked into a franchise you cannot manage because of cut throat profits and unfair treatment of dealers. Not only that type of behavior, but also hiding..."
- "When times are tight and then you come across an ad that offers a great product for a great price, only to see it is false is sad. I didn't..."
- "Brand new Avenger leaks every time it rains. I bought it 6 minths ago from McGeorges RV and have had numerous leaks every time it rains. The manufacturer will not..."
- "What an utter bowel movement of a company. My refrigerator (Whirlpool Refrigerator Model WRX735SDBM02) is brand new and already the surface of the control panel is flaking and peeling away...."