In preparation for a recent visit to the Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN, I called the Kahler Grand Hotel directly for rates and availability. I received both, a verbal and confirmed e-mail rate for three nights of "$108.00" per night".

But when I arrived at the hotel desk to check-in several days later, I was shocked to see a hotel surcharge of $17.00 per night as well as an additional $9.00 per night for the second and third nights. The total original quoted bill of $324.00 had been 're-appropriated' to $391.00, an increase of more than 30%, twice the industry standard of a 15% limit for undisclosed additional expenses (and those increases usually caused by unforeseen cost increases, which these were not, the hotel knew of these charges at the time they offered me the lower rate but refused to disclose them). This is a classic example of bait and switch. I could have declined at check-in and gone hunting for another hotel, but I thought that was what the internet and all the so called "money saver" jobbers are supposed to be for.

The unethical business standard exhibited here is disgraceful and speaks very poorly of a business so closely associated with the famous clinic. Shame on you Kahler, for taking advantage of people coming to your hotel, not to take in the sites and splurge or pamper in true holiday fashion, but likely because there is a serious medical issue bringing your customers to your fair city, clinic and hotel. To my mind it is utterly disgraceful behaviour.

If you need to charge that amount, then disclose honestly and fairly up front, all charges. Failing to do this, is an indication of clear intent to deceive by first, attracting (bait), then after the fact of arrival, declaring (switch).

Location: 20 2nd Avenue Southwest, Rochester, MN 55902