Burlington, Ontario

My second cover, the first would have been under warranty (4 years out of a 5 year warranty) but I lost the paper work.The second came with their 7 year guarantee and I saved the paper work.

Related: The Cover Guy is NOT the manufacturer, he is the middleman.

I enquired about the warranty and It has now been 7 weeks and no answer about the warranty. Pictures were sent, emails exchanged and they said they would look into it. I bought there deluxe version with the new vapour barrier claim, lasted 3 years maybe and then the thing became waterlogged and is too heavy now. It causes the seem to rip and handles came off, even the lock straps came off.

So much for Canadian durability!I see others have had the same complaint with this new but crappy vapour barrier technology.

Review about: Hot Tub Cover.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE The Cover Guy Cover
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $460
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with The Cover Guy?

Comments

gwilli
Windsor, Ontario, Canada #916931

Our cover died after 6 of 7 years but they did give us a small credit which offset the price increase from the first one.At least they had all the past info.

on file. The new one has more slope to it (thicker in the middle) which is their new standard and the vapour barrier is different and hopefully better. The last one did get water logged but only on one side, straps and handles broke but then again we did get six years out of it through some terrible winters and hot summers.

I'm okay with the product and treatment received and would order from them again.Even though we got 6 out of 7 years that was still far better than the original supplied by Aruba Spas which only lasted 4 years.

Paul

Ok, so I bought an upgraded cover with all the extras for my hot tub.It is supposed to be warrantied for 5 years and we are only beginning on the 3rd year.

I paid for all the upgrades because I wanted this cover to last me for a while. I called them and explained to them that the upgraded combo vapour proof barrier seal is peeling thousands of pieces daily into my hot tub and water has gotten into my cover. It is so waterlogged that it is very difficult to lift. The lady who answered said I was still on warranty and they wanted me to show proof of this, so I took a picture of the inside cover and said I needed to send it to the "warranty manager".

This was the warranty manager's response- "Thank you for the pictures. The issue with the cover, plastic flaking does qualify under the pro-rated warranty. You are currently in year 3 of your warranty, which gets you a 40% discount on the original purchased price.

We can have a new cover manufactured for you which will include our new upgrades. These upgrades are a double layer plastic around the foam inserts and a full length insulated hinge.

The price for a new cover will be $257.98 + $99 shipping.

Originally the cover was $429.97. Please call our office when you would like to proceed with the order 1-866-622-6837. We even upgraded to the 2 lb high density core." I spoke to another person and this is another email... "As per our phone conversation chemical damage is a physical defect...

The reason your cover is waterlogged is because the plastic is flaking and absorbing water. The plastic flaking is caused by chemical damage." "We are trying to help you with this so we can also pro-rate the shipping to $59.40 (which they only offered because I complained that their website was currently offering FREE SHIPPING). I have also attached a document for you to help care for your cover." Oh really... Chemical damage???

The last time I checked hot tubs have chemicals in it and my wife and I always checked to make sure the chemicals were right! I did my research on the cover guy and I found NUMEROUS people having the same exact problems and the emails sent out to them were verbatim!!!! My response was reasonable and fair.. this is what I sent them..

"I understand. Therefore, as per our conversation earlier, i plan to contact the bbb and i will recommend to all family and friends, as well as providing website testimonials about your company regarding your warranty policy that is NOT even stated on your website, as well as warning them against purchasing unnecessary upgrades on their spa covers that do not provide any added protection. It would be reasonable to assume that we may pay a small fee for a replacement cover .. Such as paying shipping alone, especially considering your website is offering free shipping in the month of May, however, suggesting that we would basically purchase a new cover is absurd.

So, thank you for your offer, but at this time, we decline."

So basically- all the upgrades that I already purchased previously that didn't work- they are going to give me the same cover for 40 percent off which will include their new upgrades "that I already purchased" and only $99 shipping- which at the time I inquired about this warranty was free! Which now- this warrantied cover will now cost me the exact same as what I bought it for!!! STAY AWAY--- THE COVER GUY IS A CROOK!!!!

I've also noticed that there is a standard, copied response to every negative review asking them to be contacted because they are concerned.I hope the company is helping these people out- because it is the right thing to do, however, it should not take this type of frustration and complaint to receive their advertised warranty!

brcowie
Burlington, Ontario, Canada #676376

Ok I got an answer finally.Warranty says I should get get 40% discount off replacement.

They gave me about 20% discount.

$70 off of their advertised 359.99.:upset ..Should have been another $70, but kick my own a** for less.

to brcowie #704660

Hi, Thank you for your comment.We stand behind our warranty terms 100%.

Please feel free to reach me directly and I will review this for you and make sure we come up with a satisfactory solution.I can be reached at 866 622 6837 x 202

to Anonymous Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada #840802

Liars

to Anonymous #840804

The owner of the company is Jay Labelle. Email him at JayLabelle@thecoverguy.com see if he responds. He will block your email he has no integrity.