TERRA TILES AND PAVERS - Javier Baptista AKA Terra Tiles AKA Bapmore Investments LLC
Javier Baptista AKA Terra Tiles & Pavers AKA Bapmore Investments LLC was contracted to build a driveway that involved a city sidewalk crossing and B-curb adjustment.
He laid the limestone base, rebuilt the B-curb and a 4" city sidewalk to comply with the State Code requirement of a 6" sidewalk being a part of a driveway.
After that, because of a major disagreement (read below), he was fired and replaced with a contractor who is licensed to perform both pavers and concrete work.
Because of the legal loopholes (read below) he managed to collect more than the original proposal amount (without even finishing the job!)
First, let me explain, in short, Javier's Modus Operandi.
1. Win the bid by under-balling the cost of the PROPOSAL by either hiding some vital Code requirements (such as a 6' reinforced sidewalk in my case) and placing some legal loophole keywords (in my case: Curb/Concrete Gutter: Bottom Adjustment on Exit Ways /Adjust on Corners - not a full replacement/) that an average person will never catch.
He will also recommend pavers that are complete junk. Never accept these without trying to throw dirt on them and wash them. You will see.
2. Email or give this PROPOSAL to you for consideration.
3. When you are ready to sign, he will add a couple of small print pages to the CONTRACT (watch capitalization) in which his lawyer included so many loopholes that in a case of any disagreement you promise pay ALL Javier's legal fees. To us non-layers - his lawyer will stretch time to make sure you will pay more in legal fees then you would ever for the project itself.
4. If there is anything going not HIS way, sue you.
Javier Baptista is only licensed (in his county) to lay pavers (as of 2015). He has no license to perform concrete work.
When the permit was obtained and he started preparing for work, he produced a change order and requested extra money for a sidewalk and curb (see the Curb/Concrete Gutter: Bottom Adjustment on Exit Ways /Adjust on Corners above). That added 25% to the project cost but that is not that killed the deal.
When his concrete contractor built the entrance to the driveway, he made such long transitions from the B-curb to the flat gutter that the 20' driveway entrance and only a ~17' flat gutter. The edges were elevated (images are available on request). When I asked him to fix it, he first stonewalled by saying that Hollywood will not approve it, later he asked for ~$1,500, later cut it in half but wrote a long email that absolved him from any responsibility if the City will not approve the shorter (3'+!) transitions. After consulting the City, I decided to go with a contractor that was fully Concrete licensed and took responsibility for his work.
As you guessed, Javier sued. He would not settle for partial payment. He wanted the FULL AMOUNT (with the Change Order added to it). His lawyer friend and co-coach stretched time with useless paperwork which we could not understand at the time. After 6 months of paper pushing we were presented with the CONTRACT that my wife signed (see above) and we settled, paying his legal fees of $4,000.
SUGGESTION: if you would like to hire a lawyer to do your paver related work, Javier Baptista is your man.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Product or service
- Terra Tiles And Pavers Driveway Installation
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "I am 8 years in a Genesee/Lennar home. First the plumbing lines were not angled right so the draining was bad. Had to get an independent plumber to tell Lennar..."
- "I can't tell you just how devastating it is to invest so much time, money and emotion into building a home only to have it all ripped away simply for..."
- "My DR Horton built home is less than 2 years old at the time of this post. Less than 1 year after my home was finished the driveway has..."
- "The hurricane wv (teays valley) store has the greatest employees of all speedways in our area. But i am legally blind. Once a month i get a hot chocolate using..."
- "I own thunder vapor a small Vape shop in Oklahoma City and over the past 3 years I've had Dozens upon dozens of calls and lost out of town business..."
- "My company had signed up with Thumbtack back in May of 2016... Since then 'till now we have lead our industry with over 134 reviews, have been hired over 450..."
- "1. Rented a Thrifty car online 1 week in advance. 2. Next day received email with 25% discount offer so made new reservation online. Attempted to cancel 1st reservation but system..."
- "Hello from Amazon.com. We can certainly understand your concerns about this claim being closed. However, as stated in our previous message, regarding 1x4-1726519-22xxx69: The seller who fulfilled this order indicates no return has been..."
- "Furniture is garbage at best. DECEPTIVE SALES PRACTICE! *** artists, ***. Never again. City and Ashley are the same company. Never with them again. Shady shady shady. Did NOT DISCLOSE..."