Sterling Resorts - Disgusting Room

2 of 3 Sterling Resorts reviews

My wife and I booked a room through hotels.com at a Sterling Resorts Splash in Florida — 17698 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32413. When we arrived at the front desk on March the 12th of 2015, we were told that the room is being cleaned. And we were asked to wait. We waited for around an hour. What the janitors did for an hour is still a mystery to us, because when we first walked into our room it smelled like a greasy machinery shed that a farmer had used over the years. There was absolutely no sign that the room had any recent cleanings. Apparently (according to other reviews) there are several guests that end up in HORRIBLE rooms and it turns out to simply be an “oops they got screwed” kind of deal to Sterling Resorts — in other words, some guests have to take the room regardless of the condition it’s in and Sterling Resorts doesn’t care as long as they get their money. It was our first and last stay at Sterling Resorts because of how they DIDN’T handle this situation.

1. When we first walked in the door there was the awful old greasy machinery shed kind of smell. And the carpet on the floor had lots of dark stained spots on it. We were not able to walk without shoes / flip flops during the entire vacation because of how the carpet felt on our bare feet. Stains would have been fine, but it felt as disgusting as it appeared.

2. We made our way into the bedroom where we found what appeared to be pubic hair on the bed. (I didn’t get a picture of the hair in the bed because my wife removed the sheets before I could get one).

3. Last stop was the bathroom… there were hair everywhere in the bathroom. On the sink and on the floor.

AT THIS POINT WE WERE CERTAIN THE ROOM WAS NOT CLEANED. WE WENT TO THE NEAREST WINN DIXIE AND GOT CLEANING SUPPLIES AND SPENT A COUPLE HOURS CLEANING THE ENTIRE ROOM FROM FRONT TO BACK.

In the details of the cleaning process we found…

4. The bathtub was coated with a dark residue. The disgusting part is that it was easy to clean. (The house keepers simply didn’t clean it). Easy to clean… simply rubbing against it with a wet finger removed the residue… means it would have become part of our bath water if we hadn’t cleaned it.

5. The bathtub drain was clogged.

6. The door handle to the balcony was broken and wouldn’t lock. We slept behind an unlocked balcony door.

7. The handle on the laundry machine was broken.

8. The iron was coated with some kind of brown grime. We couldn’t use it to iron our clothes.

9. The TV/DVD player didn’t work and had to be replaced.

10. Everything in the room was old. That would have been fine, but things didn’t work.

11. We got sheets and covered the couches with them for the entire stay. Considering what was on the floors and everywhere else… we didn’t want to take any chances on what might be on the couches.

12. All the dishes needed to be washed.

13. And the people in the room below us smoked as we were on the balcony trying to enjoy our morning. It was so bad we had to go inside for a while.

Why not just go home… you can’t really do that when you have two children with you that have been waiting for the vacation for weeks and all their friends are just a few miles down the road having fun. And the kid’s room wasn’t too bad. We asked for another suite, but were told there were no others available — 1902E was our only option. We spent around two hard hours cleaning the entire suite. It’s not something you expect to do when you spend this kind of money for a vacation.

We put in our complaints and a manager called us on the last day of our vacation and told us she would investigate the situation and call us back. She offered a refund for the cleaning fees. The refund would have been in the form of a gift card to their resort. We were and are not interested in coming / going back to Sterling Resorts Splash so we didn’t take the refund. It would have been useless. No one in their right mind would take a refund that requires them to come back to where they had the most horrible vacation experience. We would certainly not have paid for this kind of room if we had known the conditions.

We were told that the other rooms were not like the one in which we stayed in. That is certainly believable because if the other rooms were no better than ours, most people would have left unless they were in the same situation as we were — with kids and no money. We definitely learned that these people don’t know how to correct a wrong.

The manager did not call us back. We had to call her. When we eventually got in touch with her, she explained that it was determined that the room was not in bad shape. SHE WAS CORRECT BECAUSE: WE SPENT TWO HOURS CLEANING THE ENTIRE SUITE WITH TOWELS AND CLEANING SUPPLIES THAT WE PAID FOR WITH OUR OWN MONEY AND LABOR. That was the time we were supposed to have for relaxing after our long eight hour drive from Nashville, Tennessee to Panama City Beach, Florida. We CERTAINLY left the room in a MUCH cleaner and livable condition than we found it. So… of course… she didn’t find it dirty. She didn’t sound dumb, but her elevator apparently doesn’t make it to the top. (Which reminds me… we got stuck on the elevator on the 17th floor. People were using the stairs because the elevators kept getting stuck. They eventually shut them off).

Around a month or so later we called again to see if they were going to refund anything and they wouldn’t respond. (We are not the kind of people that let this kind of thing go until a wrong is made right at some level). We eventually got online and found email addresses and sent pictures to them that we took before we cleaned/as we were cleaning. The email address was for the wrong manager, but she agreed that the condition of the room was unacceptable and gave us the email addresses to the correct managers. Supposedly she also forwarded the pictures and emails to the HOA. At least she knew this was a problem that needed to be settled. However, the manager for room 1902E eventually called me to inform me that there would NOT be any refund / compensation of any kind. She said sorry it was a bad experience and hung up. Again, she seemed to be a sound minded person, but her elevator is still not repaired. She had a very careless attitude. Not sure why she even called.

If you are looking for a vacation, don’t let convenience and a name called Sterling Resorts Splash fool you… they are by the ocean… but you might not want to clean a disgusting room during your vacation.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Hotel Accommodation
Review category
Hotels and Resorts
review #659177 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Sterling Resorts? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
2 of 3 Sterling Resorts reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
SterlingResortsSplash

Jul 04, 2015 #1003705 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

We don't post things like comment # 1002298 below. However we are aware that it's possible to change the name of "anonymous" to any preferred name. The actual "gingericda" has expressed concern that it was us that posted the vicious comment regarding the "confession" (comment # 1002298) above. We obviously can't deny the unacceptable condition of the room considering the pictures provided. We were simply directed to this comment by the actual person (gingericda) that left the review of our resort. We apologize for any inconvenience this comment may have caused. We would never leave a comment like the one above in retaliation of our guests.

Jul 02, 2015 #1002584 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Correction: "rage" should be "rag" as in towel. There was no rage. Just around two hours of cleaning. If you are an individual reading through here and find this you can contact us through our blog at: www . sterlingtrash . wordpress . com

Jul 02, 2015 #1002582

Jul 02, 2015 #1002581

Correction: "rage" should be "rag" as in towel. There was no rage. Just around two hours of cleaning. If you are an individual reading through here and find this through our post at: www.sterlingtrash.wordpress.com

Jul 02, 2015 #1002580

Correction: "rage" should be "rag" as in towel. There was no rage. Just around two hours of cleaning. If you are an individual reading through here and find this you can contact us through our blog at: www.sterlingtrash.wordpress.com

Jul 02, 2015 #1002578 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Jul 02, 2015 #1002575 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Our review on Sterling Resorts is absolutely and completely accurate. In fact, we are being mild in some cases... e.g. the bathtub was in much worse shape than what you can see in the pictures... the rage used to clean it had much more of a stain than the picture shows because it washed off before I thought of taking a picture. And the carpet was much more disgusting in person than you can possibly imagine by looking at the pictures. Etc etc

Jul 02, 2015 #1002574

Jul 02, 2015 #1002569 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Correction: in my comment directly below, "above" should be "below" instead of "above." (The comment directly below was originally used at comments below, thus the comment # 1002298 was above). Comment # 1002298 is COMPLETELY false and THREATENING.
Dear Pissed Consumer Rep:
I don't see an option to email you privately. The first comment above was NOT me using my user ID "gingericda." While this is the same user ID as mine, it was not me that posted this outrageously false comment. If the comment number 1002298 is not removed within 24 hours, this post will be reported to the police and legal action will be taken. Everything in our initial review is correct and true. Please see the highly offensive and outrageous comment number 1002298 below by "gingericda 13 hours ago #1002298 Nashville, Tennessee"
Thanks for your help!
Daniel G

Jul 02, 2015 #1002567 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Dear Pissed Consumer Rep:
Thanks for your help!
Daniel G

Jul 01, 2015 #1002298 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I have a confession to make, the room was not really that dirty, I only lied because I was hoping to get a refund. To the admins of this site. The company is threatening to take legal action if I don't retract my statement. They also want this post removed within 48 hours or they will take legal action. The room was clean prior to us being there we really did not have to spend two hours cleaning the room. I only made that part up to get a refund because I cannot afford the expenses. I am also angry at this company because they reported me to the police for beating my two children when they said that we did not spend two hours cleaning the room. This was what really ruined my vacation was the police coming and telling me the difference between abuse and discipline and that I crossed the line. My wife was crying because I once again lost my temper and blamed someone else.

0 1 Reply
KevinRichards

Jul 01, 2015 #1002302 Orange, California, United States

You should be ashamed of yourself. I can understand trying to get a refund but to beat your children for telling the truth. Too bad those kids were not taken from you. You ruined the vacation, not your children and not sterling resorts.

Jul 01, 2015 #1002321

Actually if you reread the reply he posted. The rooms were not as dirty as he claimed they were. He did not have to spend two hours cleaning the rooms, in other words he does not deserve a refund. Somehow his children let it slip that he was lying. The only way they would call the police on him was if he hit the children in front of them enough to be abusive, if he is willing to hit his children like this in front of someone who know what goes on behind closed doors. It has to be ten times as worse behind closed doors. One thing is for certain he does not deserve a refund and he certainly does not deserve to be called a father or a husband, he is not much of a man but merely a coward. The fact that the wife allows the children to be beat makes me wonder if he beats her as well, or if she is just as abusive. Either way someone needs to take action before he kills one of his children in anger. This is a sad situation.

1 0 Reply

Jul 02, 2015 #1002554 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Someone was able to post as gingericda which is also my user name. The post above is the largest lie there is. The room was horrible. None of the things in the post above happened. If the post doesn't get removed, there will be an investigation and legal action will be pursued. There were no police. The only thing disgusting was a disgusting room.

0 0

Jul 02, 2015 #1002774

Same thing to you! I feel you are part of the group who used the writer account name to post that lie as a comment! If you check the comment #1002298 you will see it is not the same person as the one who wrote this complain. His font is black and you cannot click on his name since he is not actual user but somebody who made a fake account and closed it right away! Now check the writer account and you will see that you can click on his name and you can see all his posts! Sorry but I have feeling it was you or somebody from that resort who did that shameful action to lie about this situation! If I was instead of that writer I file a case against that person and include you and the hotel in that case too!

0 0

Jul 02, 2015 #1002553 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

KevinRichards

Jul 02, 2015 #1002772

I am not sure why but I feel you are part of the group who used the writer account name to post that lie as a comment! If you check the comment #1002298 you will see it is not the same person as the one who wrote this complain. His font is black and you cannot click on his name since he is not actual user but somebody who made a fake account and closed it right away! Now check the writer account and you will see that you can click on his name and you can see all his posts! Sorry but I have feeling it was you or somebody from that resort who did that shameful action to lie about this situation! If I was instead of that writer I file a case against that person and include you and the hotel in that case too!

Jul 02, 2015 #1002550 Nashville, Tennessee, United States

1-20 of 24 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Sterling Resorts.
Filing a new complaint about
×