Startec - the worst Long Distance provider

51 of 51 Startec reviews

If you reveive a telemarketing phone call from Startec, don't sign with them.Startec is the worst phone company ever existed!

They double charged me, they cut my connection with Bosnia and my bill became higher and higher every month. Besides of that, when I have tried to switch to another LD provider, they stopped the connection and then they have threatened me with extracharges and fees for switching to Pulse Telecom, my new long distance provider.

Man, it was a nightmare to get rid of them and to get another company!It's much easier to find water on Mars or to meet Bin Laden at a New Years Eve party, believe me!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
51 of 51 Startec reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
elenafedup

Apr 07, 2011 #271178

Please, if anyone reading this is thinking of using Startec as a LD provider, think twice: if you like being robbed, go for it. If you like having terribly rude customer "service", go for it. If you like being charged for calls you didn't make and not being refunded, go for it. If you like not being refunded for poor connection or disconnected calls, go for it. If you like being charged $10.50 monthly if you didn't make the 'minimum' calls Startec wants (over $10/month), go for it.
The list can go on.
I'm so glad I FINALLY GOT RID OF THEM, after years of being their customer. Please use any other means to call LD, so unscrupulous companies such as Startec can't take advantage of people.

Tchat2010

Feb 20, 2011 #251019

I was the same victim, I got a call from them once and got the service as they mentioned that 1C/min for international call. Then when I received my bill, noticed they are chaging me more than 3C/min. Called the customer service and resolved the dispute and they gave me 200 min free (something like that) instead credited me. The following month again I had the same issue, called them and complain. An individual from the office called me and and came up with the same principal (free mints), then the month passed by I didn't have time to check the bill as my wife was paying it. Once again I was curious and checked the bill and noticed the same issue again. This time I was about to cancel but a lady called and promised me that she will personally follow up this issue and if it does not solve then I can cancell the service, she did for a couple of months but then had the same issue. I requested them to cancel the service, they said they can not do that till my billing cycle comes. I also asked them to refund the $39.00 dollars they took as advance. They said they will but never retured that money to me. I have written them few mails, but they just never replied to my mails. I think some one should look into this company andbtake a legal action, and make them pay the customer's money. I have saved their service contract and also the actual bills and a mail saying they will give money back which they never gave...

Badexperiencefrom NY

Feb 11, 2011 #247529

I have an aweful experience with STARTEC too.

The longer you talk the higher they charge you these fees:

MONTHLY PLAN FEE
CARRIER COST RECOVERY FEE
UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND FEE and other fees. WTH!!!

Please people don't ever sign up with Startec they will only rip you off!!! Take it from us who had a bad experience with them.

They have a bad customer service!!! I hope one day they will get a class action suit filed against them!

Marie

Feb 09, 2011 #246737

Startec has just been the worst nightmare for me. Horrible service. Truly a scam company. I have never missed a payment in my entire life and I was determined to resolve the billing issue with this comapny. First month, I was cautious b/c i (being very naiive) signed up with them over the phone through a telemarketer; so i called international for only a few mins b/c i wanted to confirm the charges. I receive the first monthly invoice and, inconsistent with what they had told me after i had specifically asked, there were some "hidden charges". They were minor i thought, so i continued (first warning sign i ignored). So the next month, i called like i normally do and i receive my second monthly invoice. To my dismay, again inconsistent with what i specifically had been told, the "calls to mobile" charges were higher than the "calls to land line"(yet another sign). So I call to complain, and said i wanted to cancel my subscription with them as they were not consistent with me. Just one or 2 days later, a woman representative who spoke my native language called in from their company to inquire about what happened. She was very apologoetic and was verrrry nice and so i told her that i would reactivate my subscription but i dont want any more surprises or hidden fees. I go on making my international calls assuming rates are the same and AGAIN to my huge dismay i receive the monthly invoice of a ridiculous charge- almost 5 times as much as i typically used to pay monthly. I call... Show more

Marie

Feb 09, 2011 #246664

I'm still trying to deal with this nightmare!! they are not a company, they are a scam!!!

Tom

Jan 25, 2011 #240077

Bad bad bad company. When you sign up, the nicest people ever but later introduces minimum usage fee without prior notice, extremely difficult to get out once you're in. Puts you on hold for hours to stop you from canceling. Once you cancel they will repeatedly call your home and try to get you back in. NEVER EVER sign up.

GT

Nov 30, 2010 #216909

Stay away from Startec, they used to be honest but they have gotten very bad, charge you monthly fee for not using the service, I cancelled, then charged me again the next month since they said I did not cancel early enough for the next billing cycle, I hope I don't get another bill from them like the other reviewer. TOTAL SCAM

BEWARE!!!!!

Nov 26, 2010 #215762

Startec is the worst company ever. it uses unethical and deceiving practices to stay in business. they ignore their existing customers when there is a concern. Supervisors and CC agents suck. i will never recommend this company to anyone. STAY AWAY.

Irene

Aug 20, 2010 #178340

For local try magic jack :)

ABC

Jun 16, 2010 #154805

I am getting sick of Startec. For the last 2 months they have started adding $2.50 as minimum usage fee. When questioned about it, they say because of paper statement. When I said I never receive a paper statement they said they would credit it. It is almost 3 weeks. No credit yet. Time to switch

short

Jun 08, 2010 #151592

cancelled startec june 2009. still sending me a bill for 3.84.even though it was paid.they tell you to disreguard the bill its closed. then they send you another one. cant get rid of them. dont sign up with this scam company.

Pulse Agent Jasper

May 05, 2010 #140536

If you want to have a better long distance provider please call us 18666362890 ext 8818

Sioux City

Mar 21, 2010 #126055

Never heard of Startec. I was with Pulse Telecom for two years and I was very happy, then I swirched to Modaphone cuz they offerd me an incredible cheap rate. But Modaphone's connection was extremely bad and their Customer Service is even worse. Now I'm with Pulse Telecom again. I have a $24.95/month plan and I call unlimited in the USA, Canada and 15 European countries for free.

Star...f...ck!

Mar 20, 2010 #125901

I was with this f... king company called Startec and I had hardtime. What's the deal with Pulse? Are they OK? I mean I dont wanna get a Startec II if I sign up with Pulse. Please let me know. Thx.

Sead Ibrahimovic

Jan 06, 2010 #101547

@Sandokhan:

Their web page is www.pulsetele.com and I'm sure you'll find many ways to contact them if you go online. Hope it helps.

Sandokan

Jan 06, 2010 #101537

Guys, how can I reach Pulse Telecom? I'm very interested in having a good LD provider to call my relatives overseas. Any phone number or webpage?

Sead Ibrahimovic

Jan 04, 2010 #100851

Looks like I'm not the only one who complained about Startec. Tell everybody to open their eyes before they sign with this extremely bad company. :cry

Stela

Dec 30, 2009 #99469

I agree with you Tamara about Pulse Telecom. I have this company for a year now and I am satisfied with good connection and low rates to call Greece.
I am looking to find a local service too, because I pay too much for. Can you recommend me any good local company?

TAMARA B

Dec 30, 2009 #99429

:zzz
I Agree that Startec is the worst long distance company in America.I do not many long distance calls or international calls ,so they started charging me $3.99 in fees for low usage.That's rediculous.A month ago someone called from PULSE TELECOM and offered me a service.I just got my first bill. No extra charges ,good rates.I agree with you.
TAMARA B

Armir

Dec 30, 2009 #99366

Man, it seems like they pissed you off a little! I already sent yo a response on another topic, but now I see that you already switched to Pulse Telecom. Good luck, buddy!

1-20 of 33 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.