Feb 2016 Scam email from Square

196 of 263 Square reviews

Received this in my email:

"Hello,

Square will debit your Bank account in the amount of $5,890.12. The funds will be withdrawn in one to two business days. To view your deposits withdrawals, visit the deposits page on your dashboard.

This withdrawal is a result of issuing a refund, receiving a charge back, a renewal of subscription pricing, or an account adjustment.

Thanks,

The Square Team

squareup.com"

My company doesn't even use square! Must be a scam/phishing/bs marketing

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Square Account
Review category
Financial Services
review #793231

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Square? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
196 of 263 Square reviews
Erauqs

Apr 11, 2016 #1143192

I have received these types of email many times. We have never or will ever use square in our business. I boot them into spam but they continue to come into my mailbox every few days..

Mar 12, 2016 #1126181

Forward the email to spoof@squareup.com

Mar 11, 2016 #1125934

3/9/16
I actually had over $500 taken from my checking account by Square and it might've been through a phishing scam.
I used Square Cash in March 2015 for reimbursement from two people. Within two months, my Square account is deactivated indefinitely. I cannot reach ANY customer service rep. But since I didn't regularly use the app and I already got my funds i didn't care.
3/9/16, I get 30+ notifications that Square will be taking funds for all different small amounts under $100. All together over $500
Message says
"____ has filed a dispute for $___ that was sent to you on 3/11/15" 3/11/15**** Chargeback after 1 year that the funds cleared!!? Has anyone heard of this or experienced this off of PayPal?! My checking account had 30 pending DEBITS draining money from my account. I call my bank, and they say its Square. But, I never bought anything and the money I received nearly 365 days ago cleared from their app into my checking without a problem. I looked at credit card chargeback policies (visa/master/amex) and I can't find any processor that will grant disputes after 6 months. I don't have a Square account anymore remember? So, I cannot contact them. Luckily, this isn't a merchant that sent me money. I contact the individual, and he states that he didn't initiate a chargeback and he can't dispute charges with his bank after 364 days. We've been in contact over 10 times since last March, and never did he mention a chargeback. By the way, he has received NO
... Show more

High and Dry

May 15, 2016 #1159107

Our Company has recieved the same treatment. We have used square as our primary Credit Card Processor from Aug of 2014.
Then last week all of a sudden, we get a red notice on our dashboard that we need to validate our Business info. We had done that when we signed up. I have sent them the info they had requested. Almost instantly,(within 30 min) Square sent us an email stating that our account had deactivated. Our customer #that we had, did immediately when we called support was not a valid #. They are holding funds from us and say it will be 90 days before funds will be deposited. Luckily, it's less than $200. but now I have to go and apply for another merchant acct. Very Frustrating. Will not refer them to anybody. They are THIEVES!

Mar 02, 2016 #1120772

Got the exact same email and also do not have a Square account.

Feb 29, 2016 #1120001

Google square and phishing, and I found this. I forwarded the suspect email: spoof@squareup.com
A similar notice from JPMorgan Chase today too.
The scammers are swimming.

Feb 28, 2016 #1119584

I get them too. No one gives a *** about anyone anymore to stop this ***. Of course it can be stopped. No one cares. You have to look out for yourselves these days at all costs. You can't depend on anyone helping you if you get scammed or hit with identity theft. Makes me sick

Feb 23, 2016 #1116483

I am receiving these same emails on a daily (or more) basis. I'm not too pleased.

Feb 23, 2016 #1116482

Hello,
Scam email just received from someone posing as from Square:
Notice of a $3,081.75 withdrawal from your bank account
Hello,
We’re writing to notify you that funds will be withdrawn from your linked bank account as a result of one or more of the following: a refund to your customer, a payment dispute from your customer, a hardware financing payment, or a renewal of subscription to a paid service.
Your First Niagara Bank account ending in 878 will be debited in the amount of $3,081.75. The funds will be withdrawn within one to two business days. To view your withdrawals, you can visit the deposits page on your dashboard. If this bank account is closed, you can update it here. If you have questions about this withdrawal, please visit our Support Center for more information. Thanks, The Square Team © 2016 SQUARE, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 1455 MARKET STREET, SUITE 600, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103 UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THESE EMAILS

Feb 23, 2016 #1116469 Sacramento, California, United States

nonymous 4 minutes ago
Hello,
Getting same emails but from this address:
Square201@square team 2.net
There must be a way to stop this illegal action.
They are a scam by representing a company and keep sending emails to get our information. Getting these many Times each day!!!!!!!

Mar 03, 2016 #1121539

Our email talks about a payment dispute. We don't take credit cards at all but email looks to come from Square but email is squareteamE.net - it has numerous links it wants you to click on.

Feb 23, 2016 #1116271

got same email with same amount. Scam!

Feb 20, 2016 #1115001

got the exact same e-mail yesterday, same dollar amount. Called my bank to make sure there was no $$ missing, and they're now aware of this scam. I did not open the e-mail, just viewed it in the reading panel.

Feb 19, 2016 #1114443

Same for us. Tried to call the company. Impossible to go through. We sent an email.

Feb 19, 2016 #1114435

Wow this is weird. I got the same email with the same dollar amount last night followed by a second email for $800.12. I don't use or have an account with Square and contacting them is impossible without a "customer code" in which i am NOT registering to get. This must be a scam. Chrome detected one site "could potentially steal your personal information entered." I will continue to check my account and make sure this amount is not withdrawn. This is really irritating. If anyone has more news please post it. Thanks

Feb 19, 2016 #1114427

I have received at least 4 fake Square emails for fake deposits and misc debits due to chargebacks etc. Just ignore them and check on your own square reader or bank app for activity. DO NOT attempt to log into your account from the fake email. Its a phishing scam to get your password. Square is no help because its almost impossible to get a hold of anyone by phone.

Tony

Feb 19, 2016 #1114409 Noblesville, Indiana, United States

I received the same type of email with the exact same wording but for $1250.00. I don't even have an account with them. I too can't seem to contact them without trying to jump through hurdles and needing to "log-in" which I can't do because I don't have an account or registered with them. I don't even have a business or any reason to be associated with them. You would think that a company would care more about their reputation than that but I see so many complaints concerning many different issues I would never use them if I wanted or needed too. I keep checking my bank account to see if they do indeed debit my account and if they do, all *** is going to break loose.

Feb 27, 2016 #1119015

I received the same exact email and amount. I checked immediately and nothing is withdrawn however the fraud says 2 business days.. ugh

Feb 19, 2016 #1114361

I received the exact email today. We do not use this company and have never had dealings with them in the past. This is concerning!

Feb 19, 2016 #1114300

I got the exact same email. I told do not have a square account.

1-20 of 23 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.