BEWARE OF SPECTACULAR COMPUTER REPAIR

1 of 1 Spectacular Computer Repair reviews

BEWARE.Spectacular Computer Repair which goes under other names (i.e., B2B IT, Leiser Enterprises, Spectacular Stuff, LLC) is DEFINITELY INCOMPETENT and may be dishonest.

I found “Spectacular” through Thumbtack. Wayne, whose card says CTO, offered to evaluate my laptop for $75 at my home. Upon arrival, he required my signature on a contract before he would look at my laptop, which he VERY quickly verbally reviewed. This was unusual.

Most vendors do not do this. There is a reasonable expectation between the parties that the vendor will provide service for which the buyer will pay and the vendor will stand behind their work. I should have been suspicious. Wayne then proceeded to identify problems using the internal Event Log (this is similar to what the Microsoft Windows scammers do).

HE DID NOT CHECK THE RAM OR HARD DRIVE even though he could have used something like Ultimate Boot CD (which is free) to run a quick check of the RAM on site. Again, I should have been suspicious. He proposed a charge of $295 for the repair, which included replacing Kaspersky anti-virus software with Malwarebytes (an anti-malware application). He then took the laptop to his shop.

24 hours later he returned the laptop declaring that he had worked on it late into the night. Then he had me purchase Malwarebytes ($39.95) on line. I then proceeded to open a Word document and immediately the laptop crashed due to a memory error. THIS DEFINITELY CONFIRMS THAT WAYNE DID NOT CHECK RAM OR THE HARD-DRIVE AT HIS SHOP.

He said I had to get new memory from Lenovo. I asked that he assist me with the call for which he charged me $40. Total paid to Wayne was $335. Lenovo sent the memory which I then had installed by a Lenovo dealer in Tampa.

That took 5 minutes. While there I had them review Wayne’s handwritten almost unintelligible Evaluation Report. They informed me that the “problems” (codes) he had found were all fixable on site and some were not even problems and that the $335 charged was outrageous. (Wayne had also offered to replace the memory card once received for another $125).

They further stated that replacing Kaspersky with Malwarebytes was just flat wrong as Malwarebytes is not a complete suite of antivirus software.

Hence, he left my computer vulnerable to attack.Noteworthy, is that shortly after I disputed the $335 charged to my credit card my email address book was hacked.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
The $335 repair charge to my credit card has been disputed. No further action required.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Spectacular Computer Repair Services
Review category
Computers
review #779423

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Spectacular Computer Repair? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
1 of 1 Spectacular Computer Repair reviews

Dec 19, 2016 #1257721 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

CHARGES FOR SERVICES – WHAT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THIS REVIEW
There was a total of 9.5 hours spent between working directly with this client and repairing his computer. With the average cost of $75.00 per hour for normal business hours and $125.00 per hour for anything outside of normal business hours in Sarasota for a certified computer technician, this repair could have cost him in excess of $712.50 had he been paying another company by the hour. We billed him almost 50% less than the average cost in Sarasota for his repair. We believe that is more than fair.
MASSIVE CORRUPTION & BAD MEMORY
We went out of our way for this client in attempting to satisfy everything that we could. We came out and performed a full computer evaluation and found massive corruption and damage on the operating system. This was due to the computer being repeatedly shut down improperly. We took his computer back to the office in the morning and stayed 3.5 hours after closing to ensure we would have his computer back to him the next morning. We were very forthright in the amount of time is was going to take to repair his system, the cost was provided to him ahead of time and the fact that we believed he had bad memory in the computer because of the error codes that were being provided from the "Blue Screens" or windows crashes that had been happening on his system discovered during our evaluation process. In fact, we told him we would have the computer back to him in 2 -– 3 business days and
... Show more

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.