BEWARE OF SPECTACULAR COMPUTER REPAIR
BEWARE.Spectacular Computer Repair which goes under other names (i.e., B2B IT, Leiser Enterprises, Spectacular Stuff, LLC) is DEFINITELY INCOMPETENT and may be dishonest.
I found “Spectacular” through Thumbtack. Wayne, whose card says CTO, offered to evaluate my laptop for $75 at my home. Upon arrival, he required my signature on a contract before he would look at my laptop, which he VERY quickly verbally reviewed. This was unusual.
Most vendors do not do this. There is a reasonable expectation between the parties that the vendor will provide service for which the buyer will pay and the vendor will stand behind their work. I should have been suspicious. Wayne then proceeded to identify problems using the internal Event Log (this is similar to what the Microsoft Windows scammers do).
HE DID NOT CHECK THE RAM OR HARD DRIVE even though he could have used something like Ultimate Boot CD (which is free) to run a quick check of the RAM on site. Again, I should have been suspicious. He proposed a charge of $295 for the repair, which included replacing Kaspersky anti-virus software with Malwarebytes (an anti-malware application). He then took the laptop to his shop.
24 hours later he returned the laptop declaring that he had worked on it late into the night. Then he had me purchase Malwarebytes ($39.95) on line. I then proceeded to open a Word document and immediately the laptop crashed due to a memory error. THIS DEFINITELY CONFIRMS THAT WAYNE DID NOT CHECK RAM OR THE HARD-DRIVE AT HIS SHOP.
He said I had to get new memory from Lenovo. I asked that he assist me with the call for which he charged me $40. Total paid to Wayne was $335. Lenovo sent the memory which I then had installed by a Lenovo dealer in Tampa.
That took 5 minutes. While there I had them review Wayne’s handwritten almost unintelligible Evaluation Report. They informed me that the “problems” (codes) he had found were all fixable on site and some were not even problems and that the $335 charged was outrageous. (Wayne had also offered to replace the memory card once received for another $125).
They further stated that replacing Kaspersky with Malwarebytes was just flat wrong as Malwarebytes is not a complete suite of antivirus software.
Hence, he left my computer vulnerable to attack.Noteworthy, is that shortly after I disputed the $335 charged to my credit card my email address book was hacked.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- The $335 repair charge to my credit card has been disputed. No further action required.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Spectacular Computer Repair Services
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Ive ordered JXD S5100 game tablet (device) for my son on 20th november 2012. I received package begin January 2013. After opening and examining device, i figured there is no..."
- "Laptop advertised in paper ad and on Internet from Walmart for $549. Found out can only order on line. Click on ad and took me to Walmart's site..."
- "It started on the 3rd of FEB 2016. My bios wouldn't update so I call Asus Tech support. I gave them all my info and for 2hrs. I was put..."
- "My family and I stayed at the Days Inn in Blue Springs Mo Oct thru Nov this year @012. On Nov 4th my wife awoke at 3am with pain in..."
- "On 01-10-2015 I have purchased a 2011 Audi R8 at Presidential Auto Leasing and Sales. Dealer requested full payment of $110,000.00 in order to issue Bill-of-Sale. Mark Fentress (General Manager)..."
- "Cut myself trying to unwrap package of flute Adobe propionate nasal spray. Not possible to get plastic wrap off bottle without a sharp instrument. No instructions. When I did..."
- "THIS REVIEW HELPS YOU GET YOUR REFUND BACK!! WHEN YOU ARE IN THE SAME SITUATION, FIGHTING WITH BAD SELLERS, AND ALIEXPRESS WOULD WANT TO CLOSE YOUR EASE IN SELLER'S FAVOR!!..."
- "This location in redford plymouth rd is very rude and inconsiderate and lied about showing up at my house and calling even lied on my neighbor saying my neighbor told..."
- "HI i recently purchased the instyler max, as i was letting it heat up to full capacity i had it sitting on the so called heat pad and lucky i..."