Smith Optics - Smith Goggle Lifetime Warranty is a JOKE!

3 of 4 Smith Optics reviews

I recently sent in for repair a Smith Turbo Goggle that I had purchased quite some time ago. I'm guessing that, at the time of my purchase, I opted to overpay for Smith, as I expected a quality product and a "Lifetime Warranty." Unfortunately, I was wrong on both accounts. The problem was that the foam had deteriorated along the top and bottom sides. Please note that the foam that deteriorated is NOT the foam that contacts one's face - it is the foam that allows air flow and ventilation for the fan, to prevent fogging. I expected that when I purchase a "top of the line" product with a "LIFETIME WARRANTY," the manufacturer would actually honor that warranty and repair or replace the defective product. WRONG!!

Apparently, as defined by Smith, LIFETIME is restricted to whatever Smith feels is convenient, and for whatever reason.

Their warranty statement reads:

"...We built our reputation on quality, performance product and we stand behind it. If you experience a manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship Smith Optics warrants your sunglasses, goggles and helmets for the lifetime of the product, and we will repair or replace the product at no charge."

"...This warranty program lasts for the lifetime of your Smith product. This warranty program covers all parts of your Smith product and applies to all types of manufacturing defects or failure..."

First I was told that "...the foam is expected to rot, and is not considered to be a manufacturers' defect." I was given lots of excuses about "...putting them away wet, etc." I NEVER put them away wet, but moreover, if you manufacturer sports equipment that is expected to normally get wet, it SHOULD be able to tolerate the wet without rotting! Snow is wet. If they spent a bit more time outdoors, rather than finding legal loopholes to squirm out of their "Lifetime Warranty," they might have realized that.

The "Lifetime Warranty" ploy probably attracts more customers, but the truth is, their "Lifetime Warranty" is perfect if you expect to live for three weeks.

Craftsman tools truly offers a "Lifetime Warranty." Smith Optics could learn a thing or two about both honesty and quality from Craftsman.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 12 Yes 12 3 No 3
Had the same issue 3 Yes 3
3 of 4 Smith Optics reviews

Jun 21, 2016 #1176123 Melbourne, Florida, United States

I recently contacted Smith to get my sunglasses repaired and they no longer sell that particular model, I was told because they are discontinued I may purchase a comprable pair for 60% off. Not my fault that they don't have the replacement parts and I do not want to spend even 60% discount when it's supposed to be covered under warranty I feel your pain

0 0 Reply
Flyfish

May 23, 2016 #1163473 Jeffersonville, Vermont, United States

I agree. I had a similar problem with a pair of smith action optics sunglasses. The frames have "melted" & become sticky. They did NOT stand by their lifetime warranty. Don't be fooled by their warranty. It is a bogus ploy to get you to buy their overpriced cheap products.

0 0 Reply
Happy Camper

May 11, 2016 #1157492

This page worried me, and certainly many others, so I guess it is only fair to share my experience. I do not have any connection to Smith and am not suggesting those who have not had good experiences are being dishonest. A lot of time has passed since the original post and policies may have changed, perhaps in response to complaints made here.
I am happy to report that Smith quickly honored their warranty on a well-used pair of top-of-the line goggles with the same foam issues mentioned here. The company acknowledged this was a manufacture defect and provided a credit toward the purchase of new goggles. I called the number in the warranty email and the person I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. While Smith was willing to replace with the same model I will use the credit to buy newer goggles. The warranty person mentioned the credit is good for 1 year and people often wait for Fall to shop the newest models and biggest selection.
A couple replies to the original post indicate others were having foam issues and not taking advantage of the warranty. In my case this would have been a mistake.

3 0 Reply

Apr 06, 2016 #1140471

I hate to disagree with unsatified consumers, as that is part of my job to resolve them for a home services company. However this post was on the first google page when looking for warranty info. I unfortunately have had to use their warranty process however have had amazing experiences! I have used smith optics for decades and will never rely on another company to fill that need for me.

2 0 Reply

Dec 21, 2015 #1082074

I work for a Smith optics dealer and recently sent in a pair of Maverick sunglasses for a broken frame. First off, the customer service reps have for years been some of the least helpful and almost rude people that seemingly are bothered by your phone call. So anyway, my glasses fell off of my ballcap and onto the ground. One of the temple pieces broke as a result. Well, Smith claims that this is not a manufacturer defect and won't warranty them. I did in some fairness get an offer of a discount on a current pair, but this is far from the norm of the way Smith used to handle warranty claims. I've dropped other Smith glasses even my Costas and they haven't broke. So why is this not a defect? I am quite pissed off between them not honoring my claim and having to deal with what they call customer service. I also sell Costas. Just guess what sunglass is my new favorite and which I'll be selling to my customers, Smith?

3 0 Reply

Aug 17, 2015 #1020781

Smith just got done telling me that I had compromised my Smith frames by having prescription lenses put in them. Never mind that the issue is that the cheapass rubber nose pad fell off. I guess if their nosepads are that drastically affected by lenses, that there must be a design problem. What a joke?

1 0 Reply
Huhhman

Dec 05, 2014 #911656 Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I purchaced some limited edition ($$$$) smith I/O goggles and one of the retaining arms broke, sent them in for repair and got a plain jane black frame with two different lenses than what i sent in. Their excuse was they only cover for basic frames and wont give me what i am entitled to. The also said they didn't have sensor mirror lenses so they sent red sensor mirror, really you make the stuff but you don't have them? I hate smith with a passion for screwing me.

1 0 Reply
Skiing the powder

Jan 11, 2014 #772023 Homelake, Colorado, United States

Thanks for all in information on the foam on the ski goggles.
I have a pair that I love but the foam has just fallen apart.
I will replace them instead of sending them in for repairs.

David

Jan 05, 2014 #768857

Saved me some time. Foam covering top and bottom airflow deteriorated on older Smith goggles. Was about to pursue repair under warranty.Very discouraging. Also, if this is "normal" they could be easily constructed to enable replacement. They are not. Therefor very planned and calculated obsolesence and end of life while other parts of same goggles appear to be able to last for a very, very long time. Seems almost deliberate.

Dirt Rider

Nov 16, 2013 #743234

I sent in three sets of goggles that the foam layers were seperating and also had area that foam was seperating from the frame. Smith would not cover these under the warranty as they said that it was "normal wear and tear." Warranty covers manufactures defects only. Their argument was that if it was made with a defect, the seperation would have started within a few months of being purchased and these goggles were several years old. They claimed that the foam was dryrotting around the glue and causing the seperation. Funny how the foam was not dry rotting anywhere else. Dryrotting foam is not a manufacturing defect. It just happens with age. Read the warranty carefully. "If you experience a manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship Smith Optics warrants your sunglasses, goggles and helmets for the lifetime of the product." Notice that it does not say "for the lifetime of the owner." Apparantly the glue and foam are only expected to last a few years, so that is the end of the product lifetime and the end of their warranty. Do not use the "warranty" as a reason to buy Smith Goggles.

see

Mar 20, 2013 #625814

I Have the exact same problem with my Smith Goggles! I have never put them away wet, and always took very good care of them. They are kept in a drawer with the original soft cover on them. When I took them out to use them 6 years later, the foam was crumbling. Everything else in near new condition...no scratches on the lenes and no other wear. Sucks!

:cry

I also have Smith $200.00 sunglasses and have owned other Smith products. I'm going to try to contact Smith about the Goggles but this post is very discouraging. If I don't have any luck, then I won't be buying any more of their products. I thought they would be under lifetime warranty for something like this! I clearly a problem with the material.

I'll repost the outcome.

jeremy r

Sep 14, 2012 #541981

you've got to read between the lines. They say they cover it for "the lifetime of THE PRODUCT". Which can and probably will vary greatly from the lifetime of the owner of the product. Sorry Dude.

1 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Smith Optics.
Filing a new complaint about
×