San Diego, California

SCORE is a national organization of retired middle managers whose mission is to educate and counsel small business owners. There are chapters all over the US, and they "counsel" thousands of small business owners and start ups for free.

It's as if you went to the Moose Lodge to get free business advice. Few of the counselors have ever owned a business, had to survive without a pay check or had to make a payroll. Many of the counselors are "out of the loop" in today's business world. They don't understand the nuances of the internet, social media, web marketing or anything that occurred in business after they retired.

Because they come from a different era, all the "isms" are alive and well in SCORE. Sexism, ageism, homophobia, and race-ism (although they keep this under lock and key). Look at how many women and people of color are in your local chapter, for instance.

Many retired guys join SCORE to reclaim their lost authority in the working world. Its managed in a top-down way, with the most pushy getting their way. Because of this there is a lot of juggling for power and back stabbing within the organization.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with SCORE?

Submit review

Comments

Be first to start a discussion.