Baltimore, Maryland

In early July I contacted Scandia Marine for a quote to have my new boat bottom painted. I spoke to Marty, one of the owners, who quoted me $19.50 per foot for painting and $13.50 per foot for hauling and blocking. The boat is 21 feet.

On July 21 I delivered the boat by water. It was hauled and blocked. On July 26, 2016 I received a written estimate for the work - $2281.24. I had clearly told Marty the boat was never kept in the water and had never been painted. I was told by Rob that the $19.50/ft quote was for repainting only and not for first time painting. After a week and a half with no satisfactory explanation for the discrepancy in price I took the boat after paying $283.50 for the hauling and blocking fee.

I have received other quotes from local marinas which are significantly less than Scandia.

I am clearly disappointed with my treatment at Scandia. Integrity is most important in business.

I find them lacking and would not recommend them to anyone.

Attached: quote received after the boat was hauled and blocked:

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Pricing issue / $284
Preferred solution Full refund

Had an Experience with Scandia Marine Services?

Comments

M Lostrom - Co-Owner Scandia M
Annapolis, Maryland, United States #1331404

Unfortunately, this person is not fairly representing the facts of what happen.

He called asked about the cost of hauling and bottom painting his boat.He NEVER mentioned, that the boat had no bottom paint on it at all or that it was kept on a lift.

Most all boat already in the water for any length of time have bottom paint on them. Since he asked about hauling, we naturally assumed it already had bottom paint on it. Therefore we quoted our standard rates for a round trip haul out and one of our seasonal bottom paint package prices.

Only when we actually hauled and blocked the boat on land was it noted by the service team that there was no paint on the bottom.

We contacted the customer explaining why the original quote would not apply. Explaining that adding paint on an un prepped, non barrier coated bottom would not adhere properly. If we did this without prepped and barrier coat, the paint manufacturer's will not warranty their paint product. In addition, we will not do improper work, even if a customer insists, as it always comes back to haunt us.

Yes, we did not refund his money for the round trip haul out, power wash, block and launch of his boat. This did cost us time and money, and we did not feel or see where we did anyone wrong given the information the customer provided. But we did not change him for land storage fees while his boat was on our property. This is normally not waived unless we are servicing the...

There was no bait and switch here, only unclear, bad initial communications from the customer, that did unfortunately cost him money.We feel very sorry he feels mistreated , but that was simply not the case.