Rocktops Granite and Marble - Horrible experience--granite not what we paid for...
Our home has been two years in the planning and building. Over a year ago I went to Rock Tops in Saline, MI and met with David Gough. Our architect had specifically designed the kitchen island to be a “showpiece” of the home. It was large (5’ x 9’) but designed so that a single piece of granite would be used as the countertop. At this meeting, I told David that we needed the kitchen island to be a single piece. He assured me this would be no problem.
2 months ago we again met with David to begin to finalize our countertops and reiterated the importance of a single piece for the island. We met the measurer at the house and explained that the island had to be a single piece. They had a small screen that showed the cad drawings showing a single piece for the island that we approved.
We visited Rock Tops in Macomb Township in order to select the slab for the island. When we arrived, they did not have slabs large enough for the island in the color we had selected so we spent another 90 minutes selecting another color with larger slabs available and again, reiterated that the island had to be a single slab. Jim Theide, the owner’s brother, had the cad drawings faxed to the showroom in order to assure that the slab we were picking would be able to do the island as one piece.
The island was delivered in two pieces with a seam running right down the middle and a large chip on one of the corners of the large island piece. During the attempted installation the farm sink in our kitchen was scratched. The installers, rather than taking responsibility, covered the scratch with a piece of tape and then tried to blame someone else. We immediately called Rock Tops to let them know what was happening and instructed the installers to stop the installation until we had these issues addressed.
I have left 9 messages for the owner but have not received a call back. I received a call from someone named Scott, stating they would not rectify the problem and that they could put seams anywhere they wanted. I have been in contact with David Gough who has acknowledged several times that the island was supposed to be 1 piece but now, he too has stopped returning my calls. We are left with a kitchen full of uninstalled slabs with an island slab that is cut down the middle and has a large chip on one edge (see pictures on website--www.rocktopsishorrible.com). The company is now refusing to even return our calls.
Rock Tops requires payment in full prior to fabricating the granite and now I understand why. This company is both unreliable and unprofessional. We will be filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Michigan State Attorney General's office and will also be pursing legal action. There are many companies that can install granite or marble countertops. Rock Tops was and is a very poor choice. We hope others will be able to use our experience and avoid this company at all cost. For additional information on our saga please see www.rocktopsishorrible.com.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Granite Countertops
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "Our shoddily constructed Lennar Home is located in The Woodlands area north of Houston. It is difficult to know where to begin with this review because there are so..."
- "August 8: salesman and order.August 20: no contact from company. I called and made the order.Sept 7: Installation day.Sept 13: ongoing problems.The installers arrived with ceramic tile, and 3 backer..."
- "One of our room has a pungent odor and so we had a mold inspection done. Lo and behold, there are cracks around where the slab meets the wall. Contacted..."
- "I love the restaurant ,but i also eat the same all the time ..chilli mac supreme . Well the portions been getting smaller and smaller...today i was brought a "..."
- "At home on a Friday night, placed an online order via my cell phone (which is protected by security software to the max). The order was for $135. Less than..."
- "Dishonest Seller Clown Fish USA.com owner Rudy VasquezBack in the early part of July I had posted on several forums looking for adult clownfish. Rudy contact me telling me he..."
- "This driver was sitting in traffic blocking the road for 20 minutes talking on his cell phone. I stopped because i use this company and thought the truck was disabled..."
- "Corporate Credit Network aka Truebuild Credit aka Inc Strategies is a scam group ran under the squeaky clean front person Katie Berrien. Mike and Amanda Berrien (Katie's Parents) are the..."
- "Tried to order a watch online from replicahaus.ca for my daughter for Christmas. They sent the wrong watch and tried to tell me I was the one who screwed up..."