Gig Harbor, Washington

The other day I received a book with "Free Gift Enclosed" on the box.I wondered why they were sending this book but thought maybe it was because they want me to renew my subscription.

Well three days later the bill came for my free book for a total of $42.75!

I called Readers Digest and got someone with broken English in Manila Philippians. He said he would send me a mailing sticker to send the book back and only when they received it back would they credit my account.

He said it was generated my our e-mail account yet myself nor my husband ordered it.

I don't know what Readers Digest is trying to pull but it is a pretty shoddy deal if you ask me.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Readers Digest?

Comments

MattD78

When a company sends you something like a book which you did not ask for, they cannot then send you a bill expecting payment.By law any unsolicited items sent to you are yours to keep and use for free.

"First and foremost, you need to understand that you are by no means obligated to pay for a product you never ordered. If an unsolicited product comes to you in the mail, the law says you are free to keep that product and do with it what you wish. If a company tries to make you pay for a product you didn’t order, you can report them to the U.S.

Postal Inspector and get them in a heap of trouble."

"These rules are codified in Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009.That section of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 incorporates these protections for American consumers and makes the mailing of unordered merchandise unfair methods of competition and unfair trade practices under the law."

nish
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore #830165

Same here

Dawn
Lynn, Massachusetts, United States #731731

Does anyone have the phone # to Reader's digest condensed books ? They are sending me them, unsolicited.

KrystalRD

Hello, I work for Reader’s Digest in Customer Care and I just came across your post.

I'm sorry to hear that you received a notification that was not legitimate. Our notifications are delivered by certified 1st class mail. If you have any doubts about the legitimacy of your winners notification you can contact us at

1-800-308-9281

customercare@rd.com

One our agents will be most happy to verify the legitimacy of your notification.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service.

Chelsea

R Worley

Readers Digest sent me a letter saying I won $2,685.28 and notice that I would be getting a larger payout for $500000.All I had to do was call them before cashing the check.

If you look closely, the Reader Digest trade make is not there and it's on poor quality paper. The address is Austin, Tx 77023.

It's a shame that some people will fall for this scam because the check is so real.John Cain was the Prize Disbursement person.

Vickie Colby

A few weeks ago I got two books from Readers Digest marked on the box as free gifts.There was no papers or bill inside the box.

Not even a return address. Then today I got a bill for $30.71. I did not order these books nor have I ever ordered anything from Readers Digest in my life. Today I wrote them a letter telling them if they send me a return shipping lable I will send the books back but I will not pay for something I did not order.

We should be able to send them a bill for waisting our time with *** we don't want or even read.

From now on I will take any box's I get in mail back to the post office unopened if I didn't order or if I don't know who it is from.What a bunch of *** it is to even have to deal with this.

SELECT EDITIONS BOOKS
#519248

received a condensed book, no explanation & no account with readers digest and never ordered anything from them - a month later i received another book with a "FREE GIFT", again no explanation & again i never ordered anything.then 2 days later i received a bill for $31.00!!!

it stated in red, BILL - return with amount due - make check payable to reader's digest - pay before august 15, 12 - no extensions granted.

WHAT IS THIS - SOME KIND OF JOKE - OR JUST ANOTHER SCAM?

Marylou

I refuse to pay for unsolicited reading material, especially when it comes in a box clearly marked "Free Gift Enclosed".If Reader's Digest wishes to send me unsolicited books, I will read them, but NOT EVER pay for them.

Will this scam ruin my credit score?March 14, 2012

Barbara

I received a letter from Reader's Digest, 1853 Main St., Austin, TX, 77023, sigened by John Cain, Prize Dist. saying that I had won $500,000, with an enclosed cashiers check for $1,900.81. I called the number and was told by the woman who answered the phone that it was a good check, and when I questioned her extensively, she said she had to get with the tax department and would call me back..I have not heard back..

W.A. Nelson

They've done the same thing to me.I got an email thanking me for my order.

I sent them an email saying I didn't order anything...They responded that they were cancelling the account. Today I got a bill from a collection agency saying I owe $42.85. I called and got the Phillipines and talked with a robotic human being named gina. They are sending me a return label for their *** book which is unopened.

The only mistake they made in slamming me is that I work in Federal Law Enforcemnt...What they did is highly illegal...We'll see what happens!