Prometheus Real Estate Group - Prometheus & Marlowe Apts. refused to reduce our rent for 3 weeks of repairs
When we moved into a new apartment, over a YEAR ago, we complained that every time we did laundry, the water in our washing machine smelled like a sewer. If that wasn't bad enough, when the washing machine drained, the water emptied into our kitchen sink. They sent a maintenance man to snake our drain. He told us everything was fine and that our washing machine was probably "dirty." We tried bleach, baking soda and a variety of laundry products designed to clean a dirty washing machine. Nothing worked.
We kept complaining and they kept sending a maintenance man to snake our sink. Each time we got the same results.
Recently, a neighbor had to have their pipes fixed, so our apartment manager finally sent a "plumber" to look at our pipes. The Manager told us we had a big problem and not to use our washing machine or the kitchen sink. Whether this was due to possible health risks or whether she was worried about a pipe bursting, we're not sure.
We had to move furniture in our living room and one of the bedrooms. The plumbers dug a 10' "trench" in our living room, a 2'x2' trench in front of AND beneath our washing machine. They removed the bathtub, toilet, counter and sink along with part of the wall and the floor in one of our bathrooms. They also dug a 10' "trench" in the bedroom next to the bathroom.
They covered the trenches with wooden planks at night so we wouldn't fall into the holes. There was dust everywhere and we had a six foot long, two and a half foot tall pile of dirt in our living room. After a couple of days, they moved the pile of dirt outside by our front door.
The Apartment Manager said, "they would pay for us to stay at a motel while the repairs were being made." We priced local motels and they ranged from $125-$245 per night. We decided it would be a huge hassle to stay at a hotel at night and have to come back every day to get food, clothes etc. so we told them, "we would just stay in our apartment." We had no idea the repairs would take so long.
When rent came due, we asked them to reduce our rent for the time the repairs were being made. We figured that we SAVED them $2325-$5145 by NOT staying at a motel. (Both of those figures are MORE than our monthly rent.)
They asked us to submit something to them in writing.
We thought it would be fair to deduct our rent($65/day)for the amount of time it takes to finish the repairs. We also asked that they pay to have our apartment cleaned. Fifteen days in October comes out to $975. We wrote our request and dropped it off at the Apartment managers office.
They replied, that since we decided not to go to a motel we weren't entitled to any reduction in our rent. They didn't even address cleaning our apartment.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Real Estate
You May Also Like
- "I bought a one-bedroom apartment from Mr Joseph Chou's property company off-the-plan in 2003 for $428,000. The location looked very good and it was waterfront property -- I ticked all the..."
- "WILLIAMS FAMILY WHO RENT HOUSE AT 3012 CHARLES ST. OMAHA NE 68131 HAVE HARASSED MY FAMILY FOR 14 MONTHS NOW. WILLIAMS FAMILY DEALS DRUGS & PROSTITUTION IS GOING ON. THEY..."
- "Moss motto 'Your home is our business' should be follow by 'It will cost you until you leave' because your home is clearly not yours but theirs & you are..."
- "I have been a great customer of Amazon.com for a very long time, it must have been at least 10+ years. I have purchased everything from little things to..."
- "I had a blackberry to be delivered to me coming from Canada and Yes, a signature was required, however, it was supposed to be my signature and I did Not..."
- "I sent Pella Corporation a Very Serious Letter of complaint by email back on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 because I had bought one of their Glass Screen Doors and was..."
- "Total lack of communication by Builder with each other and home owner. They will tell you what you want to hear and then stall or not do it. 9 months..."
- "They didn't send what I ordered! I ordered the Gibbs Rules Coffee Mug and received something in Spanish!!! I don't how this could have happened. They sent a confirmation email..."
- "The claims department blamed the company by saying the box was inadequate. The driver says he left it at my door. As you can see the box is on the..."