Prometheus Real Estate Group - Prometheus & Marlowe Apts. refused to reduce our rent for 3 weeks of repairs
When we moved into a new apartment, over a YEAR ago, we complained that every time we did laundry, the water in our washing machine smelled like a sewer. If that wasn't bad enough, when the washing machine drained, the water emptied into our kitchen sink. They sent a maintenance man to snake our drain. He told us everything was fine and that our washing machine was probably "dirty." We tried bleach, baking soda and a variety of laundry products designed to clean a dirty washing machine. Nothing worked.
We kept complaining and they kept sending a maintenance man to snake our sink. Each time we got the same results.
Recently, a neighbor had to have their pipes fixed, so our apartment manager finally sent a "plumber" to look at our pipes. The Manager told us we had a big problem and not to use our washing machine or the kitchen sink. Whether this was due to possible health risks or whether she was worried about a pipe bursting, we're not sure.
We had to move furniture in our living room and one of the bedrooms. The plumbers dug a 10' "trench" in our living room, a 2'x2' trench in front of AND beneath our washing machine. They removed the bathtub, toilet, counter and sink along with part of the wall and the floor in one of our bathrooms. They also dug a 10' "trench" in the bedroom next to the bathroom.
They covered the trenches with wooden planks at night so we wouldn't fall into the holes. There was dust everywhere and we had a six foot long, two and a half foot tall pile of dirt in our living room. After a couple of days, they moved the pile of dirt outside by our front door.
The Apartment Manager said, "they would pay for us to stay at a motel while the repairs were being made." We priced local motels and they ranged from $125-$245 per night. We decided it would be a huge hassle to stay at a hotel at night and have to come back every day to get food, clothes etc. so we told them, "we would just stay in our apartment." We had no idea the repairs would take so long.
When rent came due, we asked them to reduce our rent for the time the repairs were being made. We figured that we SAVED them $2325-$5145 by NOT staying at a motel. (Both of those figures are MORE than our monthly rent.)
They asked us to submit something to them in writing.
We thought it would be fair to deduct our rent($65/day)for the amount of time it takes to finish the repairs. We also asked that they pay to have our apartment cleaned. Fifteen days in October comes out to $975. We wrote our request and dropped it off at the Apartment managers office.
They replied, that since we decided not to go to a motel we weren't entitled to any reduction in our rent. They didn't even address cleaning our apartment.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Real Estate
You May Also Like
- "The company hud homes department is a scam! After paying roughly $200 in attempt to increase my presence in the South Florida real estate market, they wouldnt respond to my..."
- "Do NOT rent From Brooklawn Norse Apartments in Brooklawn, NJ!Slumlords all the way! Had to wait 2 weeks after moving in before I received a lease, told me I could..."
- "I have only lived at Sandpiper for a short period of time however my roommate has lived there a little longer and since our lease isn't up for a few..."
- "It started off on a good note whereby I spoke with Michele La Flesch, the Executive Project Manager/Showroom Manager (Michele.Laflesch@ClosetFactory.com) (Office Phone: 310-516-7500 x240 & Cellular Phone: 310-404-8225)..."
- "Had candle burning in bathroom for 2 1/2 hours - smoke alarm went off. I went into bathroom to find candle engulfed in 6 inch flames. Doused with water to..."
- "Well well. My shaadi id is SH42277392 and Everyone needs to read what happened to me. Joined this *** website shaadi.com hoping to find a wife. Submitted a photo id..."
- "OMG DONT RENT FROM THEM!! They are slum lords! Online the pictures were of a nice house. I rented via internet moving from Florida to Indiana. What I got was..."
- "We ordered an organic cotton duvet cover for our queen sized bed, and when it came in the mail the tags said that it was queen sized. However, it's so..."
- "I searched the web for best price on 32oz Minwax Spar Urethane. Found it advertised as sold by and shipped by Supply The Home. There was a price of less..."