Acton, Massachusetts
1.4K views 146 comments

I have worked for this company for 5 years as an hourly studio manager. Let me enlighten you as to how this company works.

They advertise a $4.99 package for 30 portraits of one pose. Then we're suppose to sell you at least $80 more, or we're written up & fired for low numbers. It doesn't matter how loyal we are to the company, or how good we are. Money talks.

We're harassed via email, and voice mail on a daily basis. Our jobs are constantly threatened because YOU, the customer, can't afford to purchase more. When an employee argues that the economy is bad right now, people can't afford luxury items, we're told this is just an EXCUSE. Do whatever it takes to sell more, or lose your job.

I've spent thousands of dollars on props for my studio, to give the customer what they want. I've gone out of my way to keep things new and fresh, and quite frankly my customers are spoiled.

Corporate doesn't provide ANYTHING other then equipment, cheesy numbers, and a god-awful bear.

I spend a small fortune on lollypops for "My kids" as well as balloons for those who can't have them. I do this because I love my job, and I love what I do. As a result I have a solid clientele base in 3 states. I have people who travel up to 3 hrs or more just so that *I *can photograph their children. What an amazing compliment!!

I will miss you all.

You see, I won't pressure sell. I don't like it when it's done to me, so why would I do that to my customer? In fact I'll go out of my way to show them how to get what they want at a better value. It's why they always come back.

I've trained some of the best photographers in this region, without being paid to do so. I'm the one my Market Manager, and Market Director ask to cover their vacations. I've been offered both jobs at the laughable wage of $28, 000 -$35, 000 a year for either job is NOT incentive for advancement. Since turning down said positions, I've refused to do either training, or cover for them due to no raise in years. I've gone above and beyond, and have had no raise due to "Low Numbers" and yet I'm offered a promotion?

I've won their portrait competitions; I've worked when my doctor wanted me hospitalized, under the threat of losing my job if my studio is "Dark." (Closed) I've been vomiting in the studio and told point blank "You can't leave."

I've also been written up for insubordination when I walked out of the studio the day my 7 yr old daughter broke her arm at school, and my boss said I should be thankful I wasn't fired for leaving.

This is how this company treats US.

Recently we were all told we had to be on call 24/7. We have to work on our days off, even if it is "Just a phone call" - mind you I am an HOURLY manager. I do not get paid to do these things, so I refused.

I recently found my job posted as available online and they (my boss') won't respond to me. So I don't know if I'm fired, or what's going on. Very professional behavior, don't you think??

I emptied my studio yesterday, and it was a sad moment to realize all I've done, all I've accomplished, and what I've lost because THE CUSTOMER can't afford to buy what I shoot.

We are harassed, humiliated, and bullied out of our jobs, and replaced by teenagers who will work for peanuts.

So for those of you complaining about horrible studio experiences, and how the photographer didn’t know what they were doing, etc. This is why none of the good ones ever stay.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $5
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Picture Me Portrait Studio?

Submit review

Comments

JAVA
Stockton, California, United States #787292
I will leave one last remark.
Everyone one this site that has a complaint.
FILE ONE ON THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.
THOSE OF YOU WHO HAD PICS TAKEN AND NEVER GOTTEN.
WHEN I SEE OVER 500 COMPLAINTS, HOW DO YOU THINK CORPORATE WILL HANDLE 500 COMPLAINTS COMING IN THROUGH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU?
THEN, ON THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, THEY WILL GET AN F RANKING, AND NO COMPANY WANTS THAT. I MYSELF ALWAYS CHECK A BUSINESS BEFORE I USE ON THE BBB. IT WILL KEEP THE COMPANY VERY BUSY AND THE BBB, WILL HELP OTHER CUSTOMERS AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. JUST MY THOUGHT AS I HAVE NO LOCATION IN CALIFORNIA SO I CAN'T HELP AS I WANTED TO... I SAY, BOMBARD THE COMPANY BY COMPLAINTS WITH THE BBB AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS, THEY CAN AND WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO IGNORE THE COMPLAINTS FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AND WHEN THEY GET AN F RANKING WHAT CUSTOMER WILL EVER USE THEM AGAIN?
java
Well, it appears that there are no locations in California, they were located in walmart stores owned by walmart.
So in California, I can't find one, my niece may have mentioned a studio that had a similar name?
So, someone in California took it to the labor board.
Each time I walked into a walmart or a target the lights were out.
If I am incorrect, please correct me.... give me a location, I WILL go in if not as an employee, a secret shopper... which I am and can.
I will help if you allow me to but again, unable to find a local... Little help please.
java
Oh, one more thing, your monetary loss is more than what you posted, if you heard what I stated.
Your monetary loss is you lively hood.
I hope you kept proof. Your in a different state, but I can't imagine that the labor laws are that drastically different where you are compared to California...
Good luck on your newest venture.
java
There are so many complaints against this company. What you describe is not legal, in the state of California. An hourly employee can't be on call. An hourly employee (unless your deemed to be an independent contractor, and even then you as that term don't have to do anything they ask).
Why have the employee's not gone to the labor board? This is harassment it's not legal, they can label you as a manager all they want but if you are an hourly employee your title does not mean you do overtime for nothing.
So many employees, complain. But complaining on these boards don't do you much good or the people stepping in your shoes, when they hire another.
If I were you, I would take that posting of your job, I would take all the emails I assume you were intelligent enough to get everything in writing? Never call, a boss when things like this go down. Always IN WRITING, that's proof, your job being posted while your still an employee, that's proof, the things that you described of being threatened regarding your child is harassment.
The labor board file a complaint. (you should not have left, you should have waited for them to terminate you then you could have filed unlawful termination and taken them to court).
I have posted this information before. Why no one is HEARING me? Well that's up to each worker. If you want things to change for yourself and for the teenagers who are hired for peanuts and probably intimidated by bosses at a young age. You could have helped
... Show more
misty dawn
Durand, Wisconsin, United States #787151
Does anyone know if their copyrights are still valid? I have photos I had done there that I would love to get copies of but don't want to break any laws. :?
to misty dawn #787291
FYI. When you have a professional photo taken, there is always a copyright.
If not anyone can scan and use Photoshop or whatever program you choose to make more copies, larger copies, picture packages of your own and make them look just as good, if not better in some cases if you know how to use these programs.
You do so at your own risk, because I am sure the copyright police will track your scanned pic.... :grin :)
Just a little FYI... ,)
Was looking up Picture me to file a complaint & came across this posting. After reading this I really hate the compaby even more & it's so sad to know someone has to work under these expectations!! I would never recommend anyone going there.
#761925
I worked the same position you did. I know what you are talking about here
Missy
What a wonderful bit of information. I am so sorry you were treated this way. I have actually noticed alot of companies acting this very same way. Kicking out the people all in all who care and hiring people who will work for cheaper and as we don't care. Good luck to you. You have a beautiful heart and the world needs people like you. God bless you.
Jillg
Parma, Ohio, United States #714746
they have still props & photos at the walmart in parma
but its closed , I'd love to get the left over props & things
I'm a local photographer , would like to take some stuff off there hands. :zzz :) jillg337@yahoo.com