One Source Talent is mostly a scam

287 of 316 One Source Talent reviews

Around mid-March I signed up with One Source Talent and like many others here, reluctantly paid 495 + 39.95.Although this was ridiculous, I was asked back for a 3rd "interview" and the so-called "talent coordinator" was trying to force me to pay for their photographers, which was in excess of $400.

So, before you get any jobs - if you get any jobs - you're are out nearly $1000. Since I could not pay for this, I was sent home; yet the interview states someone would look over my resume and cover letter. This never happened, which to me indicates a breach of contract. By the way I went to the Miami one and live about 2 1/2 hours away.

In the meantime, I researched the company in depth, which I should have done before I went. I read every consumer problem on this website. Also, they are not with the BBB as of January 2011 and they had a C+ rating previously. There is another site that asks if this is a scam and a lot of people commented on that site saying it wasn't.

I know for a fact that those people or most of them are employees or managers of the company. I decided to give them a chance so here is what I proposed. The show Burn Notice is set in Miami and I really wanted to get on the show. So, I said if you get me on Burn Notice, I will be somewhat satisfied.

She said she would definitely check. While she was checking, I signed up with 2 different actual talent agencies who I paid ZERO dollars for. Within 2 days, I was asked to be on the set of Burn Notice and I was. So, when I returned home, I emailed the manager and asked if she had checked for me.

She said that Burn Notice started a week ago from the day I was on it. This I know was not true as I was on the first day of the shoot. I have all the emails saved in case I want to get a lawyer. She also mentioned she submitted me to the Glades, which is also shot on location in South Florida.

The other agency I signed up for for free also submitted me to the Glades and I was accepted to be on the show. I have already received my check from Burn Notice minus the 10% agency fee. So, here is the problem with OST. All they do is what you can do yourself.

They submit you "supposedly" but they say if a director wants you they will call you. They are also making you pay for their website, which simply gets most of their castings from realitywanted.com where you can sign up for free. A Real talent agency sends of your photos (you don't necessarily need a comp card) to the producers and directors and oftentimes they tell the agency to send people of certain characteristics to them. In other words the agency decides to send you, then you simply follow instructions to whomever you need to report to on the set.

It is VERY EASY to become an extra, which is by far the best way to break in the industry. Since OST is NOT an agency (although I was told it was) they DO NOT have rapport with directors like a real talent agency does. I have never acted professionally until I was on the set of Burn Notice. I was given a name of an agency by another extra.

This agency sends me work at least twice a week. OST is border line legit, but definitely very corrupt. It is okay to pay for websites like exploretalent because you are paying them for audition information and I know for a fact they call producers to check if the producer is legit and how much money you will make. Given this, I did not mind the 39.95 from OST because it is a monthly website fee and many websites do do this so they can run it; however, the 495 fee is absolutely ridiculous.

With all this said - Have they given people jobs? The real answer is yes. BUT - these people submitted themselves, paid lots of money, and few, if any, have gained maximum exposure.

In other words, they paid 495 + 39.95 + 400 or more to submit and market ON THEIR OWN by clicking a few buttons on the website.As most actors and actresses say - never ever pay up front.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 28 Yes 28
287 of 316 One Source Talent reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Truth Teller

Oct 04, 2011 #353602

Btw I left the company. I was not fired n I left becuz I was a model who got jobs through other agencies and was tried of working for a company that scammed aspiring talent. Oh & the ppl calling u for interviews are just minimum wage ppl with background in telemarketing and call centers. The agency is based and came from MI which is not a big state for this market. The owner is a bright man who owns multiple similar businesses such as nurse staffing. Get the picture. He's an business man not a talent industry product.

Truth teller

Oct 04, 2011 #353597

This is the truth. I am a former employee of ost and a model. Ost is both a scam and not a scam. You must read what I'm about to say. Ost can find jobs for their highest potentials but they need the extra $ to run the business & pay rent etc. So unless your super ghetto or just not marketable they will accept you so they can have $ coming in to expand their agencies. As a model you only should pay for photos to start your career, build your resume, and maybe some classes to smooth you out. They do offer great classes but their network in the industry isn't that large & they find jobs that can get urself freelancing. They agency is so profitable because they are collecting $ from innocent ppl every time they sign someone but they actually don't make money from booking models. They accept everyone into the agency as long as ur ok.

Actress23

Sep 29, 2011 #351358

soooo, can anyone assit by POSTING free sites as the person asked earlier? it would be greatly appreciated.

what-do-i-do??????

Sep 28, 2011 #351188

what are the other agencies u went to? the ones that worked out? if u dont want to say its fine, but i would really like to know!

ms.confused

Sep 28, 2011 #351184

i applied to be an actress and i have had 7 calls from them requesting an interveiw. i am only 15 and i dont have the kind of money you all say they make you pay. i have been told i could be big in showbiz by all my acting teachers and play directors. is there a good (non scam) talent agency out there? or are they all scams

I need info

Sep 25, 2011 #349459

Does anyone know any good talent agencies?

tonyboloni

Aug 23, 2011 #333186

If someone could please comment on this post, i would appreciate it. My husband just went to an "interview" and is beyond excited. problem is, after reading all of these comments, its seems like too much of a good thing. he was called back for a second "interview" tomorrow and is reluctant to go especially if they wasnt money for headshots, makeup artists etc. can someone PLEASE respond ASAP with an honest breakdown of what this company is and what it stands for?

Khalil

Aug 16, 2011 #329320

OST did the exact same thing to me they definitely are a scam. Basically if you have $500 bucks your in which I paid and they pressured me, talking about a set up fee... Bull S***.

0 0 Reply
jordan jackson(member of ost)

Aug 11, 2011 #327071

i beg to differ :p

LDeLeon

Jul 27, 2011 #319317

I also took my daughter to 2 interviews and we did not sign. He said he couldn't hold the position but i said her dad is in Afganastan(true) and we had to consult him. Luckily, he found all these reviews and said no. i really wonder if they turn down anyone at these interviews? I feel bad for my daughter, she was so excited and so nervous but i really feel like they want the money first with a slim chance of getting you work. Why would they turn anyone down if they can get $500.00 up front?

tierra

Jul 19, 2011 #314958

well i went today for a interview && they want mw to come back tomorrow && my mom said to come check to see if ita a legitimate business && by wat im looking at my mom doesnt want me to go back for my second interview && i really wanna b an actress , i wont b able yo find another opportuinty if everybody giving bad advices about everything but thanx i will try again

yesenia ruiz

Jun 30, 2011 #306854

Ok, read the article so now wondering what is the name of the agency that got you work for extras? yeseniaruiz30@yahoo.com

Claudia7

Jun 15, 2011 #299909

ok this is a scam if you are thinking ur,kid or yourself will,be on tv promptly after going to these guys!! so if u wanna be on,tv modeling,or something similiar yes this is a scam for you because no $500 dollars will get,you,there !! As the other girl said you need a portfolio and an agent the agent will charge nothing UPFRONT,!!! Watch my,words !!! UPFRONT!! They,will find you jobs and take a cut from your paycheck if they,dont find you jobs they dont get paid !! Please dont pay these fools that get paid by Mrs Kaylee , lol

Fuzzy bunny

Jun 12, 2011 #297870

I have a final interview with them tomorrow the said that they are going to shoot a commercial and take a bunch of headshots. Should I go? I don't know if it's free or if they r gonna charge me.

THIS IS A REAL  BUT REAL SCUNK

Jun 01, 2011 #293035 Peyton, Colorado, United States

sorry guys this is real crazy bussines..me and my sister are from brazil,my sister she's tall,energetic i will say she's interesting but NOT gorgeus..i am ok i will say a normal guy, i have no idea about to be a model , i dont want it the lady from OST long,long hair she was pushing me to get into it beacuse she see talent on me BUT first she want my money before any help from her..i said to her ok put me there in the comercial or watever and you get part of the money...ohhh nonooo i mean OST just want your money no matter what Money from fat guys,money from blacks,whites,yellows or watver this is to me a SKUNK sorry scam yes it is...hasta la vista

What the Hell

May 16, 2011 #286819

I just got of the Phone with them, I"m not going to that interview now, what the ***, that's a bummer, thanks for the heads up.

Quell

May 03, 2011 #281954

Hi I have an interview with OST in Thursday and by reading this review Im going to cancel my appt. I really want to thank you for your post. Also I noticed you mentioned another agency would you be able to tell me what the agency is?? I hope so thanks a lot!!!!

xoxox

Keing Berry

May 03, 2011 #281774

This lady is correct I went there with my son. The work they do you can do to. If they could show me their client list, that is recognizable then I could see signing with them. How funny, they offered to reduce the $495 fee to $89. All I needed to do is sign the contract, pay the $89 fee, $40 a month, and $400-$600 for the photos. This place sounds like a front for a photographer. Such garbage

SBrighte

Apr 20, 2011 #276800

If the agency you signed up with takes 10% off your paycheck then that company is not free. They are still taking a cut from your paycheck and making money to survive as a company. No company will do all the work for you for FREE because then how will the company survive as a whole and make money to cover their expenses. No one is sitting out there thinking "i want to make someone famous and work for free to do this."

Also, you said you signed up mid-March. That was one month ago, so it doesn't seem like you've given the service much of a chance. Since you signed up with a "free" agency that is doing great for you then mention who they are and let other people look into them and check it out for themselves.

uh oh's

Oct 28, 2012 #561136 Thousand Oaks, California, United States

Actually, the way they make money is from the Production company. yup. This is just extra work. It's not really acting. NO ONE is going to be famous from being an extra. LOL you are sooo silly person. I do it almost daily and I do get a lot of calls from friends saying, "OH man, you were all over that show". But I do it so much I never have time to actully watch most these shows.

1-20 of 129 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.