115 views
1.2

We needed a new heating element in our Fischer and Paykel oven - a pretty straightforward repair. We paid the $154 call out fee for 30 mins work.

The repair person turned up and told us what we already suspected - we needed a new heating element, however he didn't carry any spare parts!!!. He informed me someone from the office would be in contact about the price of the heating element and organise a time to come back and install it. Someone from the office called me while the repair person was in my home to take payment for the call out fee which included 30 mins of work, which I paid even though the repair person was at our house for 10 mins. No one rang me back about the spare part and so after 5 hours I called the office and was told I'd receive a quote hopefully in 3 days time!!!

When I explained this was unacceptable and that I demanded to have a quote on the same day, they finally relented and by the end of the day I received a quote for:

Element $154

Postage $25

Labour $125 + GST

Therefore, they charged a total of $458 to replace a heating element that cost $97.41 (10-minute job).

I looked online at the Fischer &; Paykel spare parts and the cost of the heating element was $97.41. When I asked the repair company why they charged so much more for the heating element than a genuine Fischer & Paykel element, they told me that's what their supplier charged them! I also asked how they could charge a postage fee when the cost of the element from the F&P website of $97.41 included postage. They said they'd remove the postage cost if I went ahead.

Needless to say, I didn't.

I ordered the spare part directly from the F&P website and had a local repair person replace the element.

Don't use this company.

Their business model is to make money from a call out fee without doing repairs (they don't carry spare parts). Then you are forced into paying an additional and incredibly inflated fee for them to return (sometime) and actually repair the appliance.

User's recommendation: Do not use this company.

Location: Sydney, New South Wales

Comments

chat-icon

Please avoid publishing any personal information and promotional content

Guest

Exactly the same happen to me in Melbourne. Told them the problem, technician came out to tell me what I had told them.

Got quote for over $200.00 for part and another $160 plus GST to install. Told them no thanks.

Got part online by express freight in 2 days and installed it myself with the help of my brother-in-law. Agree, that this company is scamming and ripping people off.

Dionta Mez

Exactly the same experience..guy turns up in a BMW and a screwdriver spends 3 mins looking at the oven then wants $154 ...sends a quote 2 days later for $265 to fit an $80 part. A very elaborate scam me thinks.

Nationwide Appliance Repairs Reviews