5.8K views
5.0
Turnaround Time

I received a letter in the mail for the open call, I got online, put in some information and set up the date and time. Well we went to open call.

The ladies there were super friendly and between the booklet and the video, I was given plenty of information. The costs were explained to me up front, and the rules for the dresses were plainly stated In the booklet. I was also informed that sponsorships from business's and people from our area would help with the cost, and that is exactly what we plan on doing. I received a phone call 2 days later, and both of my daughters were accepted.

Now I will be honest, I am a single mother of 2 beautiful little girls and I don't have a lot of money, so for people to say that they find you and find people who have deep pockets are sadly mistaken. Neither of my daughters have done pageants before, because they are super shy, but they are smart and beautiful. Now we haven't been to the pageant yet, but they give you plenty of time to prepare. I was given the date of the rehearsal, as well as the dates of the pageant, on the day of the open call.

They were very up front about everything. It doesn't matter if your daughter wins or loses, its not about that, it's about giving them every opportunity that you can, letting them know that you will support them no matter what. There is always going to be someone prettier and smarter, but that's the whole point! Its to teach them how to deal with life, even when its disappointing.

When we as parents get upset with end results and we throw our hands up, we are teaching our kids to give up and not to try again, and that is not the kind of parent I want to be. Both of my girls will compete in the 2016 State pageant, in 2 different age groups, and I can't wait!!!!

I will keep all you other skeptical parents up to date, on things as they go. This is a 1st for me and I will be more than happy to give you an honest opinion.

Reason of review: :).

I liked: Teaches kids life skills, Friendly people.

Comments

do you just do one pageant per year/registration??? I am just wondering if this is cost effective?

Joplin, Missouri, United States #1149015

BOTH OF MY DAUGHTERS WERE ACCEPTED AS WELL. WE ARE FINDING THE SPONSOR MONEY THROUGH FAMILY RIGHT NOW BUT I AM WONDERING IF THERE ARE GOING TO BE MORE AND MORE FEES DOWN THE ROAD (ASIDE FROM DRESSES)......BUT I AGREE WITH YOU THAT AS A PARENT YOU HAVE TO GIVE YOUR CHILDREN EVERY OPPORTUNITY YOU CAN TO SUCCEED! WE WILL BE IN THE 2016 MISSOURI PAGEANT!

I'm participating to what age groups are they in

#1119545

what age group are they in. my daughter is doing this 2016 as well.

#1119506

I think it is not fair to say it is not so free when ademascestan playing with the feelings of girls and wasting time parents with the sole purpose of making money that's too bad

Thanks so much- that was informative, we just got an invite to an open call. What kind of ballpark expenses can we expect? Just to make sure we don't waste our time.

to Anonymous #1118557

Its only 480

to Anonymous #1119544

It is $480 for sponsor fees witch you can pay yourself if you would like. but there is also a 20 registration fee. open call is free but it adds up to a lot for the rest of the pageant like dresses and other things.

olivia.faljean
to Anonymous #1141157

Hi! i previously wrote a review at the link attached at the end, however I'm am 18 so maybe my input would help from a contestant and adult like perspective.

This is now my 3rd year competing my very first year i came in the top ten out of i believe 80 something girls in New York South as a teen my mom is a single mom of 5 kids and we took a risk the first year but after seeing the open call we thought, why not? after the second year we thought i did so well my first try it was worth the money for an amazing experience! (i also won the photogenic optional contest so we got $250 back)

the second year (heres why i think i have a very fair input as far as people saying "if they didn't think it was a scam they didn't pay for it") I was 17 my second year and actually paid for the pageant myself, just to be clear the sponsorship fee is 480, optional contest are 75 to enter ($250 prize so if you think you have a good chance do it because you profit! that back) the productive outfit is 40 (yes you are required to purchase this you need it through out the weekend it consist of a purple tee shirt and jewelry which u pair with YOUR OWN denim shorts and white sneakers) and there may be a $20 registration fee for you (i don't remember because as a returning girl you get a discount so i actually only paid 360 for my sponsorship fee this year) these are the only things you are REQUIRED to purchase there are other things u have the option to buy like roses for on stage but you don't need them (personally i got them my first year but didn't get them after that their not something you abs need)

i think it is also important to add i live 15 mins from the pageant location so do not pay for a hotel so i can't comment on that, also food isn't free so bring your own or be prepared to pay!

of course the hotel that is hosting needs to profit from this too! finally the dress, i actually bought a $25 dress on eBay and it actually looks amazing (i couldn't believe it either) a new and expensive dress is not needed or required every year! you see girls in designer dress who don't even make the top 20! (like me my first year)

yes it will add up but it is on the cheaper side of pageants and has the largest prize packages.

coming from a single mom of 5 and NYPD officer and an 18 year old who is now going on her 2nd year of spending her OWN money on NAM, it is well worth it and if your daughter does well enough, even if she doesn't win try maybe once of twice more i got in the top ten my first year and SECOND runner up my second year (with a $25 dress again) even if you don't win i promise your daughter will walk out of there with friends, more confident and outgoing and with more professional speaking skills! I no longer hide in the back when it comes to class presentations i ask to go first! I 100% owe that to NAM.

i haven't won and this is my final year before i age out of teen and i don't regret a minute or penny of it! neither does my mom (which was surprising)

I hope you decide to participate and enjoy your experience, best of luck!

http://national-american-miss.pissedconsumer.com/the-experince-is-worth-the-money-not-a-scam-20150807679000.html if anyone has further questions or concerns feel free to email me at olivia.faljean@yahoo.com

You haven't been to the Pageant Prep Training Session.Therefore, you haven't received all of National American Miss' financial disclosures.

It's not until after you pay the first of two sponsorship installments -- in your case, $480 for two daughters -- when you will only begin to learn about all the extra expenses and fees associated with NAM.

And it won't end until pageant weekend -- at the National pageant, if you choose to go that far.

If both of your girls cannot raise the second sponsorship installment, a total of $480 for the two girls, you will leave behind $480 in non-refundable silent income. Be prepared to pay that back to your daughters' sponsors from your income.

to Anonymous Park Hills, Missouri, United States #1118796

thank you. I just got a letter for my girls.

I was warned about the cost.

I thought I would check it out for myself. This has really been helpful.

to ne #1142470

Everybody gets a letter. My daughter competed twice at the state pageant, for which we went online and paid the entry fees.

There was no open call or letter necessary. My daughter has lots of pageant experience and one year was 1st RU and 3rd RU the other.

Please know that while you are told you don't need experience, in many states, you do. For example, a division might have 100 girls. Of those, only 15-20 truly have the experience to deliver what the judges want to see.

Beware that the $480 is per girl and doesn't include the opening number outfit, tickets for the final show, the clothes, and the hotel, if necessary.

That's a lot of money for your child to "have fun." You could have more fun on a vacation for those costs.

It has broken my heart to see so many little girls get their hopes falsely raised, and then dashed.

The tears flow with alarming frequency after finals.

Finally, I think they've saturated a lot of markets because last year the number of girls in my daughter's division dropped from 125 in 2015 to about 70 in 2016. The experienced pageant Moms were able to pick the top 5 because so many newbies just didn't have the skills.

I'd tread lightly!