Greenwood Village, Colorado
5.0

So back three years ago, I didn't want anything to do with pageants, let alone do anything social at all. I was constantly sad, bullied, depressed, etc etc... However I got my first letter in the mail. The first thing that came to my head were all of those stereotype that revolve around pageants, but ignoring those, I dove head first into my first NAM pageant.

I was a little skeptical at first because I had done one pageant before, and it was a TERRIBLE experience, but knowing that this would be different I was excited. And you know what? It was exactly that: different. It was unlike anything I've ever done, in a good way! The crew was very helpful, cheerful, and professional, as all of them were either working hard to make the weekend a huge success or they were talking to girls who were alone and made them feel comfortable (including me).

It was the first time I ever felt like I belonged somewhere, after being ignored by everyone I knew. I had entered in the photogenic competition and talent competition, but didn't go home that weekend with anything except for my state finalist trophy. However in the end, it is still the best decision I could have possibly made.

Since then, I've competed two more times and just wrapped up my third year last week, finally coming home with four trophies plus my state finalist trophy. Never in my life have I ever felt accomplished, because I've worked so hard to get these trophies and rewards.

Right now, take all of those stereotypes and negative thoughts around pageants and throw them out the window. None of it is true. NAM really does work hard and is a very professional company, but like other companies, fees come with them. Depending how serious you want to be, prices can range from either $500-$1000, but you have MONTHS to collect them. If you want to return the next year, you can also get special discounts that will pay for the base fees and you'll save either $100 or $200, depending on which discount you choose.

Overall, NAM made me feel comfortable and confident with myself, and could have very well saved me from suicide. I now know things that I never thought I would enjoy doing, and I am good friends with girls that I met those three years ago to this day. NAM made me enjoy getting out and being social, and to help my community through volunteerism. NAM made me an entirely different girl, who is both poised and ready to take on her first year of high school as a freshman.

Think twice before you point fingers at a pageant girl, cause they're successful, happy people who honestly don't care about what others think.

~Sincerely, a 3 year veteran of the NAM system

Reason of review: Good quality.

National American Miss Pros: Boost in confidence, Friendly staff, Friendly girls.

• national