15K views
Featured Not resolved

I'm a 64 year old male, fit and healthy, with no history of allergies. I purchased a standard size Mypillow and received it mid October, 2016.

It worked as advertised and I was initially happy with it. On Saturday morning, 11-19-16, that abruptly changed. Out of nowhere, I woke up with an incredible itchy, blotchy rash, pics attached. I went to immediate care and the MD told me I had a bad case of hives and to look at the new things in my life such as food, laundry detergent, etc.

The only thing I could point to was Mypillow. So, I put it away until early Monday morning. The hives stopped getting worse and seemed mitigate a bit because of the prednisone I was prescribed. Early Monday AM, I decided to do an experiment, resumed use and went back to sleep.

When I awoke, the hives were markedly worse and my lips and face became swollen. All told, it was a miserable experience that ruined my Thanksgiving break. Pinpointing the trigger for a histamine allergic reaction can be very tricky but when resuming use worsened the symptoms, that was enough for me. I discontinued use completely, completed my course of medication and in a week, the hives cleared.

I sent Mypillow back and await my refund. I'm not saying that if you try Mypillow you will get sick like I did. Clearly, if this problem was pervasive, they would be out of business.

But I did get sick and I am completely convinced, Mypillow was the cause. So I am doing what I regard as a public service and putting my experience out there for others to consider.

Product or Service Mentioned: Mypillow Standard Classic Pillow.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

MyPillow Pros: It seemed to work as advertised.

MyPillow Cons: It gave my a bad case of hives.

• Allergic Reaction To mypillow

Comments

I have 6. No probs.

Great pillows.

You must react badly to polyurethane foam. you broke out on your leg in pic.

My coworker had the exact same effects from the mypillow! Her lips, face are swollen and she is covered in hives.

DO NOT buy this pillow. Must be a toxic chemical in the materials!

Are you sure because to me those look very much like bed bug bites.

@Clearbluesky

I have the exact same symptoms with my pillow. Been to the doctor and Er.

It is an allergic reaction.

So unless you are a doctor and have examined him then you shouldn’t comment. And they look nothing like bed bug bites.

@Clearbluesky

Bed bug bites look completely different, they are spaced in a line path, usually 3 or 4 circular red splotches in a line, spaced 2 to 4 inches apart. Very distinctive marks.

Experiencing the same thing on my arms which I wrap my arms around when sleeping. Horrible immediately stopped using.

My doctor actually came to the conclusion that he thought it was from my pillow because of the way the hives were on my arms. He didn't know I had just bought this new pillow.

I have had a mypillow for a yr and no problem, did you wash it before use, if you didn't it could have been a reaction to something used in the manufacture of it, if not you might becareful, with many things as not a lot to my pillow besides the foam and fabric. my suggestion would have been before you sent it back, to wash it first, because you could have picked up something and transferred it to the pillow unknowingly, then when ever you slept om it transferred it back to yourself, causing the problems.

Sbeaston

That looks like case of shingles!

@Sbeaston

I have to agree as a nurse it does appear to be shingles on the man who claims the rash was caused by my pillow

@Laurel adams

You’re dumb

why would you perform your experiment before thanksgiving then be mad when you were messed up during thanksgiving

We await your next review of MyPillow when you complain about having no pillow and no refund check.

the rash was on your leg. Exactly where did you put that pillow?

@Anonymous

Maybe he was riding his pillow.

@Anonymous

That looks like an upper arm.

@Anonymous

Yes, if he wears shoes on his hands.

@Anonymous

Many people with back or circulation problems will put a pillow or two under their knees to 1) elevate their legs above the heart and/or 2) to relieve lower back pain.