Featured on Google+ Not resolved

I've been taking my car here for a while for oil changes, until recent...

I went in for your everyday oil change; The sales guy John I believe his name is, talked me into (basically forced) me to change to semi synthetic, even after stating that I did NOT want to change.

The day after I noticed I was leaking oil pretty significantly, since they were closing I had to wait until they opened the next day, making me late to work (which is super neat) They put a new gasket and plug in saying that mine was cracked and that it's all fixed.

JUST KIDDING!!

Two days later I noticed I was leaking oil even worse than before; called them; left work early (again super neat) only for them to tell me now that I have a rear main seal break which is roughly anywhere from $1200 to $1500 repair..

Hmm, how does something like that happen to an car thats only 6 years old?

and

How did you not catch this the first time?

or how about

That the oil they showed me that was leaking was black, and clear as day the oil leaking from my car is unused oil...

So I e-mailed corporate, their answer? I wouldn't know I've been waiting over a week to hear back!!!

Review about: Oil Change.

2.8
PRODUCT OR SERVICE Mr Tire Oil Change
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Damaged or defective / $1400
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Mr Tire?

Submit review

Comments

DELMmyee

Oh that is sad. Won't go there which is super neat (:

Agree with ransom.

Its best practice..with older cars, older seals, that you have to use high millage synthetic.

This is exactly what happens.

You could flush it out, and just go back to what you were using. I am nearly 99% sure that would fix your problem.

I've had it happened to me a couple times now with older german cars. Sometimes, with my e30 rally car, i'll use normal synthetic but I will add a little Lucas Oil thickener additive.

But that's only cause my rally car needs to take full advantage of the lubricant in full reg synthetic.

Also, the sound of a "semi synthetic" oil sounds rubbish. Why would you use oil... that would only break down by half? lmao.

get this, but your correct weight http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx Or..if your piggy bank is full, buy some Royal Purple.

ransom

I can only say that changing the oil cannot cause a main bearing seal to start leaking.There has to be more to this.

You said: "Two days later I noticed I was leaking oil even worse than before", which indicates it was already leaking and needed to be fixed.

Maybe the new 'semi synthetic' oil is a little thinner? That could make a leak you already had appear worse.

Or maybe the leak just got worse in the normal course of time.

Either way, it sucks to have to spend that kind of money on any car regardless of age.Remember, it's just a machine and sometimes they have problems.

carruinedgrl06
to ransom #888455

It had only started leaking oil because they overfilled my car.. The garage I had to get it towed to dumped 10.5 quarts out of my car it wasn't leaking because of a crack it was leaking because there was so much it couldn't hold all of it.