Morton Salt - Allergic reaction to System Saver II additive in the salt?

3 of 5 Morton Salt reviews

I was out of my regular water softener salt and reluctantly bought Morton's System Saver II as a substitute. The company adds an additive in the product to help clean the water softener. It doesn't disclose anywhere on the bag or the website what that additive is. A few days after I put the salt in the brine tank, I began to get rash-like hives all over exposed parts of my body in the middle of the night. I woke up to itchy hive like allergic reactions. These were clearly not insect bites. To be sure, I washed the sheets without any detergent or fabric softenener and still the allergic reaction continued. When I wear clothes washed prior to using System Saver II, the rash does not occur. Coincidence? I don't think so. The company is aware that it's product can cause itchy skin in some of its users.

Excerpt below from:

After using Morton water softening products why does my skin itch?

The additives used in Morton® System Saver® II or Morton® Rust Remover are normally removed from the water system during the brine and rinse cycle of the regeneration process. Even though it is unlikely that the additives in the salt product could be the cause of the skin itch, you may wish to try a product with no additives, such as Morton® White Crystal® products or Morton® Potassium Chloride Pellets. It would be prudent to consult with a dermatologist

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Monetary loss:
Product or service
Allergic Reaction
Review category
Food Manufacturers
review #536583

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Morton Salt? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 1 No 1
Had the same issue 10 Yes 10
3 of 5 Morton Salt reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Mar 30 #1136455

Ugh...I think this may be my problem as well! It is the only thing I have changed and I started getting hives/rash about 2 days after adding the Morton Rust Remover salt pellets in my softener. I will be switching back to the Lowe's brand today and let you know if it makes a difference!

0 0 Reply

Oct 01, 2015 #1041888

The same thing happened to mr

0 0 Reply
Fred aimes

Feb 11, 2015 #944129 Richmond, Indiana, United States

This happened to me as well but it took weeks to figure out because my wife bought the wrong salt for the tank and I did not know. Terrible to deal with.

1 12 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Morton Salt.
Filing a new complaint about
×