Meetup - #Resist email forced on users

18 of 74 Meetup reviews

Received an email today from meetup pushing the #resist movement, created meetups for the movements, and banners encouraging people to go to these meetups.For a company that states "has always served as an organizing platform for a wide range of political views, welcoming everyone from the Howard Deaniacs to the Tea Party.

Meetup will always welcome people with different beliefs." starting the next paragraph with "BUT" pretty much sums it up as we will NOT always welcome people that have beliefs differing from "ours". I do not need a company to push a one sided viewpoint of politics on me that has shown they are more about silencing opposing views then letting people decide on their own.

You can go burn down more buildings in support of tolerance and free speech without me.#RESIST MEETUP!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

• Politically insulting

Reason of review:
Political Bias
Preferred solution:
To late now, you "a line was crossed"
Review category
Media
review #1007573

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Meetup? Submit review ›
Helpful? 20 Yes 20 0 No 0
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
18 of 74 Meetup reviews
Gary Allen

Feb 16 #1289256 Scottsdale, Arizona, United States

Instead of #resist, how about #unite. Support a useful dialogue on how we can settle our differences instead of dividing our nation.

2 0 Reply

Feb 16 #1289568

I felt the same. Resist is negative. Unite is much better! I can't believe the company created 1000 Resist meetup groups on their own. I thought Meetup was for individuals to create! Progress can't be made with negative thoughts or actions. We must use the Power of Positive Thinking!

1 0 Reply

Feb 15 #1288899 Columbus, Ohio, United States

I’m not a big fan of Meetup’s decision to take a political stand. Partnering with groups such as Planned Parenthood. I was an organizer for a hiking group in New England. No more. They will not be getting my semi-annual payment of $85 due next month.

3 0 Reply
Nope

Feb 15 #1288469

Meetup, you can take your leftist, snowflake, culture of professional v i c t i m h o o d, and your identity politics, and shove them up your r e c t u m right next to where your head is so obviously located.

3 0 Reply
Alex

Feb 15 #1288423

I totally agree with the original poster's analysis!
The #resist email was not the kind of communication from Meetup we've seen before! It is nauseating.
In my opinion, the #resist email was extremely offensive to me. I'm tired of companies getting political, pressing an ideological message or placing their 'Orwellian boot on our face', then expecting us to continue to pay for their services/products. Kellogg's etc. etc. now Meetup.com?!?
Sooner or later, I hope all 'offended individuals' such as I will join with each other and "FILTER OUT" all of these abusively Progressive companies from our purchase decisions so they don't get one red cent ($) for their calls for mayhem.
It could be said, you reap what you invest in.
Well then, Meetup.com can look forward to meeting up with my empty enthusiasm and wallet. You bet I'm a Pissed Off Consumer on this one!

5 0 Reply

Feb 14 #1286598

Another liberal snowflake agenda being pushed down my throat in the name of "democracy". Apparently my idea of democracy is cared for by those uber-liberal NYC. Meetup corporate is a total joke.

9 0 Reply

Feb 14 #1286494

Here are the company e-mail addresses to complain.
CEO Scott SHeiferman@meetup.com
Trust & Safety Senior Manager jennl@meetup.com
Senior Community Specialist bryanv@meetup.com
Community Team Lead deirdreJ@meetup.com
policy@meetup.com retention@meetup.com

6 0 Reply
Sandra

Feb 15 #1288465

Thank you for supplying the email addresses.

1 0 Reply

Feb 16 #1289398

Oh thank you very much. I've been looking for this info all day.

0 0 Reply
David

Feb 20 #1291198 Binghamton, New York, United States

Thank you for those email addresses. I have now sent to them the missive taking them to task that I first wrote when I got their #RESIST announcement on 2/13.

0 0 Reply

Feb 14 #1286474 Wilmington, Delaware, United States

I AGREE 100%!! My email was relentlessly spammed with their near-frantic emails to join #resist. I deleted all my groups too. So sick of this political propaganda war declared by the elitist Left and their cronies, the Main Stream Media! I was an independent voter for 50 years, not anymore! I will never vote democrat again. They have all gone crazy. It is them that is destroying America!

7 0 Reply

Feb 14 #1286468

I saw this disturbing strong handed advocacy of resist hate groups by meetup.Com and commented to the group leaders and many of my friends have deleted our accounts. Up until this I liked meetup and the group's I had joined which I'm sure had a mix of conservative and liberal members. It is sad that those in control of meetup.com decided to push their hateful holier than though political views on the members of all groups and I belonged to non-political ones. The last thing I expected from this website apparently was this. Goodby meetup.com It was fun until you pushed hate groups to join. I exercise my freedom of speech to complain about this unwelcome tactic and I'm sure there will be many more that leave. Then all meetups will be completely liberal anarchists .. good luck with that!

7 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.