Verified Reviewer

1.1

Update by user Oct 09, 2021

No one will take time to even give me medical records that have huge chunks of info missing that our primary vet cannot even make sense of what happened.

Original review updated by user Oct 06, 2021

In Oct 2020 my primary vet discovered my service dog had B cells in one lymph node and refered me to medvet oncology. We had a surgery consult that was a drastic surgery and the surgeon actually said, "I might end up yanking out the spleen." This seemed extreme and the oncologist didn't really offer much advice except, "watch and wait." We did, but we're sent back to medvet again in Jan 2021.

We really liked the new oncologist and I felt like my dog was in good hands, until she wasn't. My dog's care had been switched to another doctor without my consent and this doctor withheld critical info from me, abandoned my dog's care and cost us the time to diagnose and at the most critical point, she refused to treat the cancer and let it spread. When I tried to have my concerns addressed I was lectured on how I needed to treat Medvet staff. My dog suffered the last 5 months of her life this was devastating to go through and, now I am suffering and under extreme emotional distress.

Medvet ran up 17k in bills over the last 6 months. They made me keep a card on file and billed it for dates we weren't even there. When I wanted to take it off file, I was told that I would never be able to get reimbursed for the extra charges if I took the card off file. I have yet to be able to speak to a manager or resolve anything and I found out after having to put my dog down that they knew the cancer was spreading but never told me.

The breach in care, lying about lab results, failure to keep records with necessary details needed to give my dog the better outcome, fraudulent billing practices, compounded by communication issues that cost us any hope of remission, cost us my dog's life and it was so traumatizing to watch her suffer through chemo as a desperate last chance and medvet continued to give false hope and engage in unethical practice knowing, it was too late. It is so upsetting to know now, that medvet was never about helping my dog. Medvet was only about helping medvet, and I had to take my dog to her regular vet several times a week for supportive care and to make sure everything that could and should be done was being done, because I no longer trusted Medvet after catching the one doctor in a total lie, and then she lied to the other doctor I did trust, but no one bothered to even sort out the huge issues, instead, I was told, " I'm way to busy and leaving for my summer vacation," and I was forced to rely on the vet who had lied and responsible for my dog's care being dropped and losing our chance to diagnose and treat the cancer. This vets actions and inactions ultimately cost us over 17k in 6 months.

It has been over a month since I lost my beloved service dog, and I am struggling. They have devastated my life. There was never any guidance, and I am sick to find out they had plenty of opportunities to try and diagnose and treat the cancer, but because no one communicated, and the one vet lied about labs, follow up care, she left us hanging and charged us for dates my dog was at another vet. I never got a chance to even meet these people in a video call bc of Covid, so this is the biggest betrayal of trust that could be done to a person.

I am truly heart broken and feel so taken advantage of by this place. The lack of transparency and inability to accept responsibility for major issues is alarming.

I was told, " they feel really bad about what happened." And that, "perhaps they can use this as a learning experience and do a better job next time." There won't be a next time for my dog and I am very upset that I wasn't able to make informed decisions that were in her best interest because I was not given all the information and a vet I didn't even know, much less consent to treat my dog, this vet literally withheld the most important info needed, she lied and made up stories, she caused chaos and confusion and then completely abandoned my dog's care at the most critical point. This vet engaged in a pattern of behaviors that are consistent with malpractice, negligence and incompetence.

User's recommendation: If you go, get copies of everything before it disappears. Do not put your card on file!

Product or Service Mentioned: Veterinary Specialty Center Veterinarian.

Location: 349 South 200 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84101