Bought 2 Maxim Lighting exterior lighting fixtures through ATG Stores.Beautiful fixtures and durable per the description.
$170 per light. Got the first 2. Noticed that the engineering drawing didn't match the way they were manufactured and because of that, you cannot mount them in a way where they will last as an exterior product because of water infiltration - they are billed as an exterior fixture. 2 parts to the fixture - mount (on the wall) and cover assembly with a 'nipple' on one end to hang the light cover from and a screw on the other end (bottom side) to facilitate changing the bulb by removing it.
The holes are reversed on the mount so that if you assemble the fixture per the engineering drawing, it will only last for a year or 2 because of water infiltration from the screw hole being at the top instead of the bottom. If you attach the mount to the wall upside down to facilitate the holes being in the wrong spot, you compromise the fixture's electrical integrity by making the socket (where the light plugs into) face upwards thus becoming a water collection point. And the 'nipple' insertion hole is not threaded and a different size - there is only 1 way to attach the cover to the mount. Called ATG Stores.
They sent 2 more. Same exact problem. Called back to return them. Called the manufacturer to report the problem.
Got the run around from the manufacturer saying that they would review (that has been over a month now - a later call to them confirmed they had destroyed them without even looking at them). ATG Stores has a money back guarantee if the return is due to a manufacturing defect. We love the lights and would have accepted them had they not been mismanufactured. Still would.
But now ATG Stores has charged us $70 in return shipping charges (and so far) will not credit our account for them (several calls, emails, etc.). We got absolutely nothing tangible, but had to pay $70 in return shipping.
Model to avoid: Maxim Lighting 8630 Beam Energy Saving Outdoor Sconce (we purchased the 16" version, not sure if other sizes are also mismanufactured).
Note to anyone who purchased these: when they fail in a couple of years, now you will understand why.In the pictures, note that the outside of the cover with the 'nipple' is smooth with no hole.The close up of the holes is to show one is threaded and the other is smooth where the 'nippled' cover end goes.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- 8630 Beam Energy Saving Outdoor Sconce
- Review category
- Building Products
You May Also Like
- "In the spring of 2014 we replaced our 15 year old Vetter windows with Marvin New build Low E 272 with argon windows. With in a year I started..."
- "I have six different Pella Designer Series doors that are rotted out at the bottom. The corner clips holding the trim on the outside of the doors along with the..."
- "I purchased a JELD-WEN fiberglass exterior front door from Bay Area Molding & Door which installed the door for me in July 2013. The main reason why I chose..."
- "I ordered a Bouquet of flowers Online via flowerdeliveryexpress.com. They (FDE) sent a confirmation email that delivery would be February 10th. I had ordered early for Valentine’s..."
- "I expressed my opinion and my feelings about Patti Meyers, owner and operator of CafeOldeWorld.com and Cafe Old World Rentals, out of despair, frustration, hopelessness, and shame. Your client, Patti..."
- "bottom line..if you don't try different things you will never find out what works for you so If your in pain sometimes it is worth it. I dont like the..."
- "I ordered something on ali express and made payment through my debit card. Amount got debited from my account. but i cancelled order before verification. although payment has been made..."
- "We had purchased a bookcase in August 2016 from The Mallery Hall Collection company. We really liked the design of that bookcase, and we were hoping that this would be..."
- "I purchased a Levian snake ring. It has white and chocolate diamonds. I have sent it back to Levian 5x for repair due to diamonds randomly falling out of the..."