"Bait & Switch" by Manassas Computer Repair [alias: Advantage Computer Services]
 Bait & Switch / False advertising
 A "Dangle-the-carrot" ploy
On September 4, 2013, ordered a Garmin nuvi 1490LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS from Advantage Computer Services; Manassas, Va. via Amazon.com.
 When my order arrived, it was a much lesser capable "Garmin nuvi 1490T", not a 1490LMT.
The "LMT" designator means "Lifetime Traffic & Maps" updates at no extra cost.
In short, this unit's [the 1490T] retail value is $80.00 to $100.00 LESS than that of the expected 1490LMT unit.
 Additionally, the unit was a "Commercial Fleet Sales" unit intended for trucking & delivery services, not a standard retail unit; meaning the capabilities are heavily restricted. ie: On the main intro screen, instead of "Where To" [to set destinations]; the prompt reads "Dispatch".
Complaint emailed [and called] to Amazon and then to Advantage Computer Services.
Shortly thereafter I [finally] received a response from Ken Campbell [read his second sentence carefully!]
------- Excerpt from email of Ken Campbell, Store Manager ------
From: Advantage Computer Services - Amazon Marketplace
Date: 09/16/13 12:24:15
"We will cover return shipping cost if you agree to take down the negative feedback." <=========
===> Obviously, I did not fall for this ploy.
THIS NEGATIVE FEEDBACK AT AMAZON.COM WILL REMAIN.
Not surprisingly, Manassas Computer Repair [alias: Advantage Computer Services] is not a BBB member.
My money [$100.00] refunded by Amazon.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Portable Gps
- Review category
- Gadgets and Accessories
You May Also Like
- " So I was at Walmart on Sunday morning and purchased the XBox One bundle package with Call of Duty. When I got home and opened the box, which was still..."
- "Well, i just bought a powerbank 20000mah from lazada. I was very ecstatic after receiving it day ago but after peeling the cover tape of my powerbank I found out..."
- "I ordered a simple Plantronics Explorer 50 from Newegg on December 22nd from one of their "marketplace sellers" and it has been nothing but a nightmare. It is now Jan..."
- "Hello Aldi sold me an expired yogurt on December 2015. Please refer to attachment. the yogurt was expired on 2014 however Aldi stores sold it to me on December of..."
- "Tried to schedule an appointment with Andrea Cox about a vaccine. Wanted to help people in need with health problems. Was really trying to be charitable. Wrote her an..."
- "So basically I got my third last night. The top is my ear, and the bottom is what it's supposed to look like! My piercer did a horrible job. I..."
- "Store 6091 East 72nd Avenue, Commerce City, CO 80022 One of the wors places to by parts .stars all *** up day in 12/3/ 16 The kids the work there..."
- "I have always had suspicions of Thumbtack creating fake leads to take our money, known that other pros submit them to get competitors pricing and thought it possible some were..."
- "Every month I have to contact them. They tell me problem is resolved and the next month they do it again. Charges for install and their modem I never got..."