San Francisco, California
1.3K views 3 comments
100% full Not resolved

This is regarding Order #106-5418742-6535460, a Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard I purchased from amazon.com, the store Outlet Digital.

In short, Logitech will not honor the three-year warranty of this product because I "purchased it from unauthorized reseller from Amazon."

BACKGROUND: The Logitech G710+, being a mechanical keyboard, is supposed to have a long product lifespan, yet key-caps keep breaking off this keyboard. So far I've lost my H-key, My G2 programmable key, My Left-CTRL key and my Number-pad 4 / Left-arrow key. I have contacted Logitech about acquiring or even purchasing replacement key-caps for these keys. Logitech replied that replacement key-caps were unavailable and that my only recourse was to have the keyboard replaced entirely via the warranty. The serial number was marked out (not mentioned in the item listing which claimed "used -- like new") and I had to go through considerable process to get Logitech to take my claim seriously.

I could see Logitech denying the warranty because the keyboard was a refurb (sold to me as "like new", and yet...) but "unauthorized reseller" raises the question of who qualifies as an "authorized reseller". Amazon customers cannot trust Amazon affiliates regarding large ticket items (large ticket for me -- replacement of this keyboard would be a financial hardship) given that parameters of warranties seem to be contingent on whether or not a reseller is "authorized". I suppose one could check before completing any purchase, but this level of vigilance is rather severe for a typical customer.

Had I known that purchasing the product from an Amazon affiliate would invalidate the warranty, I wouldn't have made the purchase. Had I known the keyboard would continue to fall apart after the first key, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

A similar claim regarding failing key-caps can be found here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-Series-Gaming-Keyboards/G710-broken-keys-from-normal-use-plastic-tops-Where-to-get/td-p/1075449

I found a third party that sells keycaps that are suitable, though I'd have to spend $50 on a full set if I were to attempt to replace them with the proper keys (my H doesn't look like an H anymore). Still, I do not intend on trusting Logitech with large-ticket purchases in the future, considering their warranty policy allows them to arbitrarily refuse a warranty.

Review about: Gaming Keyboard.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Damaged or defective / $101
Preferred solution Honor my warranty and replace the keyboard; or provide me with a set of non-brittle keycaps.

Had an Experience with Logitech?

Comments

Bearder

I've never heard of any company anywhere honouring the warranty on an item which was advertised and sold as "used", with the serial number blacked out. Expecting any help from logitech in a situation like this was almost as silly as your choice to tell us all about it. Count it as a learning experience, go buy a cheap bubble-dome, and call it a day.

uriel-238

It was sold to me "like new", Jendrick, and I expected that that might shave a couple months off the warranty.You are correct that "Logitech doesn't know who, where, how you got this keyboard" but that shouldn't be an issue unless they are specifically going to issue licenses for authorized dealers.

Apple Computer does this, and is hated for it, and is appropriately derided by the resell and tech communities for it's methods of control, with a number of court cases regarding the conflicts between Apple's policies and second-sale doctrine. That Logitech is trying to similarly control the resell vectors of its items is news, and puts their company on the side of questionable ethics when it comes to end-user rights.

And my incident still implies an unreasonable expectation of extreme consumer vigilance by the end user. Do you call the manufacturer before making any large-ticket Amazon purchase to make sure all warranties are in order? I will now.

And before I do that, I will avoid Amazon the way that I avoid eBay, since Amazon's own market (which is now of questionable legitimacy) is seamlessly connected to the equivalent of a garage sale.

I'd have filed this as a complaint against Amazon as well, but pissedconsumer and Rip Off Report each only allow for the listing of one offender per filing. Maybe I can file multiple reports on the same incident. I don't know.

If Logitech argued that my unit was refurbished or counterfeit, and was...

But as it is, now I will have to contact Logitech every single time I purchase one of their units to make sure the reseller involved is "authorized" since they may not authorize places that seem legit (say Staples or Buy.com) or due to corporate politics, retroactively "deauthorize" a reseller just to spite them after a failed negotiation.

In short, the reason by which they refused my warranty was arbitrary and has no actual bearing on the purchase I made.

I agree, there is a lesson to be had re: Caveat Emptor, but Amazon has put so much effort into indicating that purchasing there is safe. It's a deception. I, naively bought into it. And now knowing that their "a-z guarantee" is not comprehensive (or actually "a-z"), knowing that they do not extend service beyond their ironclad policies.

And interestingly, the onus is too easily placed on me for being not careful enough, than on amazon for their deceptive policy in the first place. (One wonders why we teach children to be obedient and truthful when our society allows for so much falsehood and requires so much skepticism.) And still, there are more concerns in which caveats hide than is feasible for normal human vigilance, and many companies seek to profit from such human errors. So yes. I was a fool for trusting a company, like we are expected to do every day of our lives.

And no, Jenrick, the Amazon exchange / return policy failed in this case, so I would say it's great so long as it works, but in this case no, it was wholly inadequate.I've since lost my Numpad-8 key.

Jenrick

Consider it a lesson learned.You bought an used keyboard trying to save a couple of bucks and got burned.

If you had bought it from Amazon themselves - They are sometimes not the cheapest but have a great return/exchange policy.

You find that out quick when you need to exchange something with Amazon.

Logitech doesn't know who, where, how you got this keyboard, but it wasn't from one of the retailers they usually do business with, it was used, and the serial number was marked out.

I have dealt with Logitech many of times, back from old G15 keyboard and they are pretty *** accommodating with their warranty.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you got burned trying to save a few bucks buying a used keyboard and now you're trying to figure out how to make the best of it.

What you should have done is contacted Amazon about your serial number marked out when you received your keyboard.

Your best recourse is to contact the seller Outlet Digital.