1.8K views

My wife and I began searching in Lakeland, Florida for a new home when a job change forced us to move. On the surface it seemed as though Lennar Homes, the Hampton Hills subdivision, had everything we were seeking. In reality our deal with Lennar was a nightmare and I could not be happier that we did not end up buying a home from them. Consider...

1. Lennar builds generic homes. Want to change a color? Sorry, but you cannot. Want tile instead of carpet? Not an option. The simple fact is that when you buy a Lennar home, even if you sign on the dotted line well before construction begins, you are buying a stock home. They try to make it seem as though this is the way to go but it is extremely self-limiting when you spend about $200k and cannot even do minor modifications to the home's design.

2. Lennar uses deceptive advertising. My wife and I were led to believe that the Nehemiah funding was a Lennar deal. It was a federal deal. We were led to believe that our home would start about one month after we signed on to buy it. At the 4 month mark, when construction still had not begun, it was starting to lose its allure.

3. The "Everything Is Included" is another deceptive advertising practice. The packages are very generic and they do not use the top-of-the-line products. Everything is "contractor grade" unless you buy one of the largest and most expensive of their homes. But even if you spend over $300k for the home you still cannot even pick your colors, options, or layout.

4. Lennar caters to the first home buying crowd. Savvy buyers will pick up on this and will not buy from them. This, for whatever reason, seems to lead to a lot of rentals in the area. Perhaps because the new home buyers end up in over their heads and have to rent to stay afloat?

Last but not least, most of the Lennar homes have really small kitchen cabinets. The model we were looking at had 14 and all of them were small. It had a medium-sized pantry which would have been filled with pots and pans that would not fit into the kitchen.

The bottom line is really simple. Your home is your biggest investment. If you are going to buy a new home then why settle, especially as much as you are going to end up spending? The answer to your home dreams is NOT Lennar. There are simply too many other builders out there that are superior in quality, customization, and overall buying experience.

Lennar's business plan is also flawed by the way. We signed the contract on May 4. By September the home was still not built. Because they build in their neighborhoods in stages you may have to wait awhile. What kind of business plan allows paying customers essentially walk away from their purchase? The answer is a really bad one....

Comments

gipple

Got a complaint? Go right to the top.

CEO and son of the founder. 15.5 million dollars/year salary.

Lives in the most exclusive neighborhood in Miami. His home is NOT built to Lennar standards.

StuartdotMilleratlennardotcom ;)

BigBrother4Defects
#472040

I am so sorry that you have experienced this…

WE ALL NEED TO HEAR YOUR LENNAR STORY.

Please visit my website and send me your story:

MyLennarLemon.org

MyLennarLemon@gmail.com

to BigBrother4Defects Dallas, Texas, United States #595812
I recently purchased a Lennar home. We were told it was any "everything included...

and was to include a security camera at front door and a keyless entry pad. We were told we had to settle by end of month and all was set. They were working on home until settlement day when we could finally get in and do our pre inspection.. WOW!

No camera just wires hanging out of wall.. no keyless entry.(they said well thats all been discontinued :x they should have told you???? Really??? They were telling us all that 3 days prior that it would be on.

Walkthrough showed counters and cabinets with scratches and a few gouges.. We were told.. Well this is a construction zone O: there are a few things we are finding as we go.. One is a kitchen sink under a marble counter held up by 2 approx 6 inch long boards (one on each side) and we see glue?

Hope it holds. I wish I had gotten a home inspector even though it would have only been 2 hrs before we had to sign..

Praying nothing else comes up.

Contact me at: MyLennarLemon@gmail.com

MyLennarLemon.com (under construction)

Contact me at: MyLennarLemon@gmail.com

MyLennarLemon.com (under construction)

sappyg

As a former Lennar Construction Manager for four years the OP was the biggest issue among buyers.

1. I never liked the 'evereything's included' BS but it really was until the market tanked. Then the marketing switched to 'everything you want, everything you need'. More BS but still very true. It should have been 'everything you want-and can afford'.

2. 90% of ALL reastate agents are idiots.

3. see #1

4. Yes. 1st time buyer, Transient buyer, and retirees are mostly who I dealt with.

Cabinets and Kitchen design is more an issue of home design. There is no perfect floor plan. One women called the office one time and demanded that I move walls in her house b/c she couldn't get her big fat backside IN the fridge to clean it.

Assuming the home was started in June, you need about 120 days to complete it.

My biggest customer issues were: not knowing what they bought, not knowing the process, emotion and thinking they knew more than me about how to build a home because they had a friend that did landscaping one summer in highschool.

Hopefully people don't believe everything they read. There are so many complaints here written by people who represent a very small number of dissatisfied customers or even just almost-customers.

There are PLENTY of us who have enjoyed our buying experience and would definitely do it again or recommend it to others.

Personally, the construction manager I worked with went above and beyond his 'role' and did everything possible to ensure we were happy with our purchase. This company does not deserve to be trashed due to a negative experience with just one employee or division.

Not sure how many of you who commented live in South Florida but the market here is bottoming and still going to get worse. Over 40% of recent sales are in foreclosure and the more are getting there everyday.

So builders including Lennar need to be doing a better job for their customer not worse. My advice and I speak from experience is "don't buy in a townhouse complex" or be sure to go for absolutely everything you can get.

There are those of us who bought early and are paying the price in every way possible. Underwater mortgages, inferior building (and I do mean inferior not contractor grade; moen has replaced 2 of my fixtures already because they as a company are concerned with their reputation, can't say the same for Lennar.) Lennar continues to offer "freebies" to entice buyers while those of us living within the community are not even offered the option at the builder's price

It's amazing that you see a home for a lower price but want all the options and upgrades that a more expensive home gets. Really?

Are you people that naive? Some builders build homes and communities for the sole purpose of first home buyers and affordable housing. Not every brand new home community is going to consist of $500k homes. Lennar isn't the only builder to offer no options, build as is, with a few small upgrades thrown in such as tile, blinds, granite and stainless appliances.

Are you getting top of the line? No. Are you getting to pick colors out? No.

The color subject is a ridiculous one in the first place... buy a freaking paint brush and paint yourself. All of you complaining have that entitlement mentality like you're owed something. Well here's a real basic piece of advice.

If you're looking at homes and run across the no options, stock home, first home buyer builders and thats not what you want...

DONT BUILD THERE!!! It is really that simple

:grin 8) :p :x :cry

Lennar construction managers do not review any subcontractor's work and all work is performed by subs, not Lennar. The construction manager only is pushing the schedule to get the house built and could care less about quality.

Once a Lennar home is complete the construction manager turns the home over to the buyer regardless of its condition. The buyer must now negotiate with Lennar customer service to make repairs under the warranty (good luck here!).

If you're going to buy any home from Lennar or anyone else, it's a good idea not to ask for a custom home but buy a inventory home, get a home inspector, and demand that everything be fixed before closing. If you close before repairs are made, then you're at the mercy of the builder (good luck here also).

Actually, here in California, Lennar is a pretty good choice. We just bought a home from them and so far so good.

My sister bought a home from KB Homes in the same county and paid more but didnt even get close to the options that we have. My sister had to install their own garage door openers, landscape the back yard, no island in the kitchen, plain countertops, all carpet, the vent above the stove doesnt even lead to the outside, got a regular size tub in the master bath, single sinks in all bathrooms, and much more that they would had to pay to have upgraded from the company.

We got all the stuff we were looking for in our "generic" home. Lennar may not use the most expensive products but i LOVE MY HOME!

In some Florida suburbs, there are builders who, for 200k, have better upgrade options, floorplans, and materials than Lennar. I know that for a fact coz I live in a community with both Lennar and another builder.

My builder offered way more than Lennar could ever offer...

at a lesser cost! Even comparing their energy saving features and construction, Lennar could not compete with the other builder.

I agree with SJC. Price point is why Lennar homes are built "generic".

By using the same basic "upgrades" and fetures over and over they are able to give you a "custom" feel without the higher cost. You want tile instead of carpet??? Rip out the carpet and put in tile.

At the price point you pay you can get in and do your own "upgrades". Compare that to some of the other builders who charge a premium for builders grade upgrades that you could do yourself for much less.

If you were as smart as you think you would realize that your price point $200K is what is driving the low grade materials, first time home buyer and the number of rentals. What do you expect for that price?