Kumon is an educational center with its own after-school learning program. It was founded by Toru Kumon and headquartered in Teaneck, New Jersey. The center offers special math and reading

Kumon - FRANCHISE SCAM - WARNING!

58 of 78 Kumon reviews

Kumon is the worst franchise to own here in the U.S. I quit a high paying job in Chicago in 2010 to start a Kumon learning center. Initially, everyone was friendly and painted rosy picture about the franchise. I went through the motions and finally got my center up and running after investing close to $120,000 in build-out, lease, furniture, training etc.

No sooner started my Kumon learning center, I was asked to spend $4000 on advertising. I was told that I could advertise anywhere. So I did, only to get into the cross hairs of another Kumon learning center franchise owner. My signs were taken out, posters ripped etc. The Kumon office intervened and "I" was told not to advertise by the same people who told me to do so in the first place.

The problem is that Kumon does not have assigned territories. So anytime a center can open anywhere even next door to you. It makes your Kumon center vulnerable to competition.

The rent I pay is over $4000 per month with CAM extra. In the first 12 months I just had about 60 students, and by the end of 2 years I just had 110. I am deep in the red, and am worse off than I was with a high paying job that I quit. The royalties are about 35% of the tuition. Tuition is $100 per month. I would like to increase it but other Kumon franchisees seriously undercut me on the price that one can do nothing about.

Older franchisees bad mouth newer franchisees like me claiming more Kumon experience and by putting some fake awards on their walls.

Management at Kumon is in total disarray. My field support manager provides me with no support. She comes once in a while, looks around, smiles and leaves. The staff are poorly trained to support franchisees. You call up the Chicago branch office and you are sure that your call will never be answered or returned. At the instructor conference this year, I heard that the problem goes right to the top. Recently the President Akira Hamanaka and Executive Vice President Atsushi Nose were fired from Kumon North America. This happened after all franchisees were promised better days to come at the conference by the President and CFO.

If you are reading this and are planning to open a Kumon learning center, take my advice and DO NOT invest your hard earned money in Kumon.

- Kumon is an outdated program and has not changed in over 50 years. It does not match the school curriculum and is below school standards in the U.S.

- Overall Kumon has a bad reputation among students and parents. Parents and students who quit the program usually never come back.

- If you complain about your student numbers with the Kumon staff, they blame the franchisee saying that "it is your fault that your students are quitting you."

- Older Kumon franchisees get a free pass. They can do whatever they want, even run a center from non-retail space.

- Older Kumon franchisees bad mouth new franchisees like me.

- There are no clearly assigned territories.

- There is poor advertising support.

- Management at Kumon is bad.

- There is no quality control in other Kumon centers.

- Royalties are very steep and margins slim to none.

- Kumon staff are inept, poorly skilled, arrogant and condescending.

- Worksheets similar to Kumon and of better quality are freely available on the internet.

- Many parents have switched to online learning on advice from their school teachers.

- Kumon has a bad reputation among Schools and School Teachers in the U.S.

- There is no resale value for one's Kumon center. I have been trying to sell my center but I cannot even recoup 10% of my investment.

- There are many, many better programs like EyeLevel, Aloha Math etc. which offer lower royalties and assigned territories.

- Franchisees that I met all hate the management and staff at Kumon.

- If you fall sick or are unable to run your center, the Kumon management will shut you down.

My advice is DON'T OPEN a Kumon learning center even if you are sold about it. You will regret it just as badly as me.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 60 Yes 60
58 of 78 Kumon reviews
Kathy Bennett

Feb 07 #1282945 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John Anzin and Joe Nativo are financial professionals who have helped many Instructors over the years. Despite high rents and labor costs, we manage to make things work with Kumon’s support. The system isn't perfect but we all try our very best.

66 0 Reply
Michael Thompson

Feb 12 #1285794 Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

I agree that Mr. Anzin and Mr. Nativo have helped numerous Franchisees with their business advice and guidance. I applaud their efforts and commend them on their willingness to go the extra mile for any Kumon Franchisee.

25 0 Reply
M. Lee

Feb 13 #1286023 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I really enjoyed the Accounting and Tax Workshop that Mr. Anzin and Mr. Nativo presented at the 2015 Kumon North America Instructors Conference. From what I understand this Workshop is now included in Kumon franchisee training, which represents a very good idea. Many of my Kumon colleagues agree that this is a step in the right direction as we need business training in order to become more successful entrepreneurs.

24 0 Reply

Feb 16 #1289230 Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Mr. Nativo and Mr. Anzin are two of the finest CFO's that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

23 0
Kingston

Feb 17 #1289785

John Anzin presented an informative tax and accounting workshop at the 2015 Instructors Conference in Nashville that was greatly appreciated by everyone in attendance. The workshop was very well presented and represented the first time in years that business related content was presented to Instructors.
This tax and accounting workshop is available to all Kumon Instructors by either emailing the Kumon Canada head office in Toronto or Kumon University in Teaneck. Knowing John for nearly five years, I can personally attest to his high degree of integrity and financial expertise which he shares with Instructors on a regular basis.
John is always willing to go the extra mile to help all Kumon Instructors. I am proud and thankful that he is part of the Kumon family.

Feb 16 #1289561 Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Mr. Anzin is one of the most highly respected staff members in Kumon. His extensive knowledge base, credentials, and financial skills have benefited Instructors throughout North America. I have met Mr. Anzin numerous times and have been very impressed with his deep understanding of what Kumon truly means to Instructors.

12 0 Reply
NKhan

Feb 17 #1289787

I also attended the tax and accounting workshop at the 2015 KNA Instructor Conference and found the presentation and materials to be informative with creative and clever content. The workshop was very well presented. A+

Feb 17 #1289720

John Anzin has gone out of his way to help me on many occasions, and he is always willing to visit my centre to discuss any topics or issues that I need clarified. He serves as my primary resource at Kumon Canada. Mr. Anzin can also be reached at the Kumon Canada head office fairly late in the evening which I very much appreciate. He is a very dedicated and passionnate Kumon employee.

9 0 Reply
TMahoney

Feb 18 #1290195

John Anzin is my primary contact at Kumon Canada. He is always extremely helpful, and follows up on all issue to final resolution. I really appreciate all of his efforts, including his knowledge of everyrhing Kumon. Mr. Anzin is an invaluable member of the Kumon family.

5 0
ONEVERYHAPPY

Feb 17 #1289747

John Anzin, VP Finance at Kumon Canada, deserves inordinate praise for his excellent leadership and unwavering dedication to the staff at Kumon.As an instructor at Kumon for over 20 years, I have rarely dealt with a Kumon executive who goes the extra mile to assist and support the entire staff.
Although this review runs counter to the point of this site, it is my hope that this will come to his attention, and the entire worldwide staff at Kumon, so that everyone, but mostly Mr. John Anzin himself will know how much his efforts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you Mr.John Anzin for being a positive force in the lives of all Kumon enployees.

7 0 Reply

Feb 17 #1289750

Mr. Anzin is a dedicated and professional Kumon employee. He is an invaluable part of the company.

7 0
R Patel

Feb 17 #1289789

I also attended the workshop presented by Mr. Anzin and found it to be excellent. I have met Mr. Anzin on many occasions and find him to be a tremendous asset to Kumon Canada. He is polite, professional and always listens to our concerns and issues.

Feb 16 #1289238 Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

I have personally observed the significant value that John Anzin delivers to Kumon Canada on a daily basis. He is a top notch finance professional, and has become a good friend.

23 0 Reply
Kathy M

Feb 17 #1289793

I have had the pleasure of having Mr. Anzin visit my centre and found him to be engaging and knowledgeable with respect to everything Kumon. He provided me with financial advice and tips, and offered to keep in touch so that we could keep the conversation going. When I ran into John at the 2016 holiday luncheon we continued our conversation for a lengthy period of time. I appreciate the fact that he genuinely cares about us. It means a lot that we have someone who we can count on at Kumon Canada.

6 0 Reply
T Ramsden

Feb 17 #1289800

Mr. Anzin also visited my centre, and I found him to be very professional and engaging. He provided me with a soft copy of his tax and accounting workshop which I reference all the time. The material contained in this presentation has helped me run my business in a more efficient and cost effective manner. Thank you John.

6 0 Reply

Dec 12, 2016 #1253891 Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Thank you everyone for writing these reviews. I wanted to own a kumon franchise but now I'm 100000% sure to not to. In fact I'll tell others also. My sister pulled her kids out of kumon because of the enormous amount of worksheets that are given to kids. Thanks everyone.

14 0 Reply
M. Lee

Feb 16 #1289274 Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

I have also met Mr. Anzin on many occasions and he is a true professional who cares about Instructor issues. He listens and follows up. I am very pleased that John is an ongoing management member of the Kumon Canada Instructor Advisory Council (IAC).

22 0 Reply

Feb 18 #1290220

I have kept my two children enrolled in Kumon primarily as a result of the value that I see in the worksheets, as they represent an amazing learning tool. Since their school grades continue to improve, I am keeping my children in Kumon. The Kumon Method does seem to work, at least with my children.

2 0 Reply

Feb 18 #1290352

To be honest the worksheets have not worked for my son after one year of trying. I am still hopeful that the Kumon Method will start showing results in 2017.

1 0 Reply

Dec 10, 2016 #1253160

Thank you so much for writing this article. After reading this I can tell you wrote from the heart and given your honest opinion. My wife spoke highly of Kumon and was asking me to invest in Kumon franchise. Anyone can write positive things about a franchise but I choose to read the negative part bc that is the true information.
Thank you my friend.

3 0 Reply

1-20 of 59 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.