KitchenAid KEMS308SSS Glass Door Exploded

144 of 465 Kitchenaid reviews

I purchased the KitchenAid Buillt-In Combination Electric Convection Oven and Microwave Oven in the summer of 2012.Last night I ran the self-cleaning cycle for perhaps the second or third time since I have owned the oven.

At 2 1/4 hrs. into the cycle, we heard a loud explosion and glass breaking. The inside glass door had shattered and was spilling out onto our floors from the bottom of the oven.

My research shows I am not the only owner who has experienced this problem with Kitchen Aid ovens.I will be contacting Kitchen Aid, even though I have an extended warranty on this appliance.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Style and Design

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Poor quality
    • Poor quality of inside glass door

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Kitchenaid Kems308Sss Oven
Review category
Appliances and Electronics
review #578182

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Kitchenaid? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
144 of 465 Kitchenaid reviews
OldTech

Jan 05, 2015 #926199 London, Ontario, Canada

Hello! I'm an appliance tech of 12 years. I don't represent any brand. The problem you had with the door glass is not uncommon to any brand. The reason it happens is usually the glass being poorly tempered (which is supplied by some glass company to Whirlpool), or the glass was installed a bit too tight during assembly. I have replaced probably 30+ glass panels, and it is not particular to any brand, but more often to newer products that mount the glass with adhesive, which doesn't allow the glass to expand and contract with heating and cooling cycles. Self clean puts glass to the limit of its expansion range, and it's typically when glass breaks.

6 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.