Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

269 of 286 Kirby reviews

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 203 Yes 203 346 No 346
Had the same issue 127 Yes 127
269 of 286 Kirby reviews

Nov 30, 2016 #1247844

There are two things that are definitely true when speaking of Kirby. 1)If you put the time and effort in, you will make a great living. 2)It truly is an amazing product. My grandparents still have the first and only kirby they ever bought and it workd better than anything ive ever owned. However, no one can deny that Kirby distributors lure people in under false pretenses-this refers to employees and customers alike. When you read the add, you are told that you are guaranteed a base salary of x amount of dollars regardless of your sales. Its only after youve gone through the process that you find out about the 40 show requirement and you are definitely not told how damned hard it is to get those shows. During my short time selling these things I had doors slammed in my face, dogs let off leashes, and in one horrifying situation, a gun pulled out and waved around in front of me. That being said, I actually am pretty good at sales. It is currently a very large part of my job, and I do very well for myself. However, when I sell my clients a product, I am selling it honestly. There is absolutely no veil when you work with me. Walking door to door with Kirby, however, definitely relies on deceit. you can talk all day long about how you make friends and clean peoples houses, but what your doing is lying to them. you ring their doorbell and tell them that youre doing free carpet cleaning and would like to arrange for a time to come back and do it. But the moment you... Show more

3 3 Reply

Nov 02, 2016 #1235491

I have been with Kirby over 40 years. Before I meet her my wife (RIP) worked as a single mother for Kirby & did quite well. Yes it is hard work at first but it is no scam. Those that get recruited & don.t make it are usually too lazy to put in the effort & not give it 100%. I have raised three children, put them through private schools & college. I have bought & paid for 3 houses over the years (one was 3 blocks from the governors mansion).
I'm semi retired now running a Kirby service shop (out of choice not necessity. I could easily retire completely).
It is true that there are some bad apples in Kirby as there is in any other business. But I have known many, many more who are honest business men.
Those of you who call it a scam probably didn't even give a 30 day try & I am using the word "try" loosely
As far as the price of a Kirby is concerned, Yes it is a big investment. But it out cleans anything else on the market & always have. And converts to over half a dozen other cleaning appliances. And it is not unusual for a customer bring in a 30, 40 or even occasionally a 50 year old Kirby for what is normally a very minor repair.
(By the way just out of curiosity & a little trivia do you know what Oprah Winfrey's first paying job was? You guess it, it was with Kirby & you will never hear her say anything bad about it. She has even talked about it on her show & gives that experience credit for helping her to learn to talk & communicate with people.
... Show more

1 9 Reply

Nov 04, 2016 #1236058 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have a question: Have you written any other short stories and how long have you been writing fiction?

6 0 Reply

Nov 15, 2016 #1241270

Yesssss!!!! It I'm jus starting it's ruff but I've moved up to DPS in 3 weeks!!!! I you gotta hustle

0 2 Reply

Oct 17, 2016 #1228133 Houston, Texas, United States

Can someone close this thread? People are giving legitimate good and bad comments, yet the negative ones are flaming the pros of the job hard.
To be brief.
Yalls some salty peeps.

0 10 Reply

Oct 18, 2016 #1228566

Sounds like you are scared about the truth being exposed! May I suggest you simply don't read it anymore. Pretty simple fix, don't you think!

7 0 Reply

Aug 25, 2016 #1203773 Portland, Oregon, United States

Like any other job. You put the time in, you reap the benefits. I have been surrounded by the Top Distributors within Kirby my whole life. They make millions a year.
Touche

2 15 Reply

Aug 26, 2016 #1203906

1. I don't believe you, so put down the koolaid
2. I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "touche"

18 2 Reply

Aug 16, 2016 #1199972 Amelia Court House, Virginia, United States

I currently just started working for the Kirby Company but I can tell you, if you put in the work that you are held responsible to do, you will make money. Basically you get back what you put in. It's also a pretty fun job and you get to make friends when you clean their houses for them. The Kirby machine is expensive but if you think about everything that comes with it, it's a good investment. It spins at 3200 RPMs, is made of steel and aluminum, used for shampooing, mopping, electric brooming, dusting, sprayer, etc. Think about how many times you have to replace your vacuums or other household objects. Now wouldn't it be cheaper to invest in a machine that has a lifetime warranty & does all of those things? I didn't even like cleaning until I cleaned with a kirby for the first time.

2 16 Reply

Aug 19, 2016 #1201044

Come back in a couple weeks and tell us again about how fun your job is and how many friends you have made by lying to people to get in their homes.

15 0 Reply

Aug 27, 2016 #1204346 Waverly, New York, United States

You don't try Kirby, Kirby tries you. It's simple. It's a copy cat business. Most people are too bullheaded to understand what's going on. Hence why our office goes through multiple people a week but Im having no problem with the month I've been with them. We are Positive

0 12 Reply

Aug 27, 2016 #1204358

You are positive alright. Positively disgusting!

10 0 Reply

Aug 19, 2016 #1201045

Yep, that $5 you have left over will pay for a few burgers from the McDonald's dollar menu. Eat up boy!

12 0 Reply
kd

Aug 01, 2016 #1193306

I really hate reading stores like this because it makes me kind of sad. I felt the SAME exact way when I started. I did my training...not like I was doing anything that week anyways...and still felt a little nervous. But after my first day out I was completely overwhelmed with joy. I am 21 years old and I average 4500-6500 a month. I never dreamed of making money like this. It was incredible. The reason the pay is set up this way is because if you show up everyday and do three appointments a day...then you are bound to sell. They base pay isn't a salary but a fall back just incase you have no sells but worked everyday. I think everyone that works for the Kirby company felt weary at first....because you're right...no one else will pay you the way you get paid with Kirby especially if you are young. And the most positive thing is that they promote from within. By the time I am 23 I will have my own office. The kirby company has changed my life for the better so I just wanted to pass some positive news. THE KIRBY COMPANY IS NOT A SCAM. It's designed to help the community by supplying more jobs (reasons they hire so many people) and we pay taxes to the community and we donate all trade ins to the community who can't afford a vacuum. We are happy and we are making money. It makes me sad to see people who didn't even give it a shot talk so negatively. Nothing against you personally..it's not for everyone. But we are trying to run a business. -I don't work at this office but for a... Show more

5 10 Reply

Jan 18, 2016 #1096462

I love all these people saying they make bank, funny how you all filled out a w-9 form because working under kirby ur an independent contractor meaning at the end of the year when im getting 5000+ back for my tax return you all will be owing 5000+.

15 1 Reply

Dec 11, 2015 #1077003

That's funny....because I work for kirby and I'm making money just fine....

1 18 Reply

1-20 of 288 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.