Mistreatment at Joann Fabrics Store

445 of 449 Joann Fabric reviews

Wanting to make a Halloween costume for my dog, I phoned the local Joann Fabrics store and asked if I could bring my small dog with me to see which colors of fabric would look best and to get help with proper measurements. The employee I spoke with stated that I could bring my dog, as long as she was kept either in a cart or in my arms. I heartily agreed. The following week I arrived at the store with my dog in my arms. Since her legs were too small and slipped through the cart, I kept her in my arms.

Once inside, I noticed that the store had ready-made dog costumes, so I stopped to see if there were any in my dog's size, relieving me of much work making a costume. Bending over to look through the few bags of costumes available, I placed my dog on the floor directly next to me and shortened up her leash so she was at my ankles. This way I could flip through the bags quickly and get her back up in my arms. Suddenly, I heard a woman's voice bellow loudly, "NO DOGS IN THE STORE!!" I stood upright and looked for the source of the rudeness and saw one of the employees standing about 10 feet from me in the next aisle. Again, she exploded the words at me, "NO DOGS IN THE STORE!" I explained that I had made a courtesy call the week before and was told that I could bring my dog if she was in my arms or in a cart, and that the only reason she was on the floor briefly was so I could look through the costumes. The woman huffed away shouting back at me, "NO ONE SAID ANYTHING TO ME!"

I picked out two costume sizes and, not knowing what my dog's length was, went to the fabric counter and got her measured. I went back to the costume section to return one of the packages when a young couple with their daughter approached me asking if their daughter could say hello to my dog. Of course I was happy to oblige, and the couple and I struck up a conversation about our respective rescue pups.

As the young man was speaking to me, I felt an obtrusive presence to my left. Without so much as an "Excuse me", yet another employee had now come within 6 inches of me, saying "No dogs in this store!" The young couple was as shocked as I was at this woman's rudeness. Again, I explained that I had made a courtesy call to the store and was told that I could bring my dog, and I again explained that, except for a brief moment, the dog had been in my arms the entire time I was in the store. I was then treated to the same loud, blustery comments about no one telling any of them about it.

I stated that since I had the common courtesy to call beforehand to inquire about it, I expected courtesy in return. But she just kept repeating, ad nauseum, that no one told them about a dog being permitted in the store. She made a spectacle of me and the other customers I had been having a conversation with. I took a costume and went to the checkout counter, where I observed one of the cashiers shaking her head at me with utter disdain. At that point, I had enough of the outright unprofessionalism from this store's staff. I dropped the package over the nearest shelf and walked out.

When a customer phones a store to inquire about a policy, the customer should expect to be given the correct information. If an employee of the store feels that policy is being breached, that employee should never loudly proclaim it from a distance, but quietly inform the customer in private with professionalism and goodwill.

Due to the fact that I was treated with such an unprofessional attitude by the employees, I will never again step foot in any Joann Fabrics store or shop online with them. It is apparent that they foster rudeness toward customers, and I will not put one more penny in their pockets.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 31 Yes 31 79 No 79
Had the same issue 23 Yes 23
445 of 449 Joann Fabric reviews

Jan 01 #1264081

I had a similar situation happen to me. This day and age I can't believe these store still treat people like this.

0 0 Reply

Mar 26, 2016 #1134586

Not only do I agree whole heartedly but I also wonder if a conspiracy is afoot. It seems they used a tried and true technique call "distraction". Not more than 2 maybe 3 fortnights ago my wife had a 40% off coupon for 12 yds. of fabric fleece, mind you, that she was "distracted" from using by the cashier when she instructed her to look up a Michaels coupon for $1 off a single item. The fleece was going to be used to make dog blankets for a local shelter. Clearly Joann's is against coupons and dogs.

Jan 24, 2016 #1100209

Why would you expect them to measure your dog? They measure and cut fabric, not family pets. If you planned to buy fabric and make the costume, you must own some basic supplies. Like a measuring tape!

0 2 Reply

Oct 31, 2015 #1056501

Hello,
As an employee I would like to say upon the behalf of my team that we do our best not to be rude at our store. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We are as employees required to follow the rules given at our specific location. I would have been happy to have a word with the manager as well as the other employees in your favor. We specify increativity. I have two dogs of my own and personally I would love to of seen a creation of yours. I sincerely apologize once again how you were mistreated. I do believe is was a miss communication error with the call. The employee should have made a note or asked the manager before relying to your comment. Please understand we are only human and we do what we can to bring the best satisfaction to all our customers. I'm not a manager so I do not have the power to pull strings. But I would most defiantly be happy to of helped you. Have a wonderful day. I do hope to see you come back. ^^ - India

Sep 11, 2015 #1032641

I work at a Joann store and many people bring in dogs. Some being trained as service dogs, others just because. The only time we have ever said anything is when a dog is barking loudly and will not stop, we try our best to be courteous and professional. I am greatly sorry that this happened to you, I know I am just an employee and really cant make a company apology to you, but I just want you to know that I am very sorry this happened to you

Jan 01, 2015 #923828

The sign on the door is "too small"? Keep your dog at home where it belongs. How about being a responsible pet owner, for a change? Almost no business, unless it's PetsMart wants or allows, your *** dog in the establishment. I work at JoAnne Fabrics and you better believe, I have more than enough work to do without cleaning up your dog's ***! Trust me, no one but you thinks your dog is cute: leave it at home!

9 27 Reply
Nik

Feb 08, 2015 #942823 Florence, Kentucky, United States

You're incorrect!! Many stores allow dogs and actually love you bringing them!! To name a few, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Bed Bath and Beyond, Homegoods, Macy's .....
How about you take a look at the percent of animal lovers verses people like you!

17 5 Reply
Upfront

Mar 19, 2015 #960904

Shut up you inconsiderate worker! You should be fired!!!!!

15 1 Reply

Oct 14, 2015 #1047824

and you should take a Xanax. The worker is inconsiderate? Because they don't wanna clean up some ***'s dog's ***? Riiiiiight. So a person should lose their job, lose possibly their only source of income, because they're telling you a dog isn't allowed in a store they work at and KNOW the policy of where it says no dogs? Please see a doctor. As for me, I will continue to shop at Jo-Anns, knowing I won't be bumping into any nasty mutts, and if I do, it's a service dog.

4 7 Reply

Jan 11 #1269408 State College, Pennsylvania, United States

I love the fact that you think every pet owner would just allow their dog to go to the bathroom on the floor and not clean it up...you're funny!

0 0
JB

Jun 09, 2014 #825695 Chicago, Illinois, United States

I don't get why people just don't understand that animals are not allowed if there is food sold. It's the law. Joann's didn't make that up the government did. Complain to them!

4 8 Reply
Annoyed

Apr 27, 2014 #809684

This same exact thing happened to me at a Joanne's store. I never once let my dog down on the floor. Yet I was embarrassed by the employee. They are incredible rude.

7 1 Reply

Dec 14, 2015 #1078672

Same thing happened to us at a Joann's store. They also tried to claim that there was a sign stating that. No such thing. And we did check beforehand, and we did look at the entire store front doors and windows, there was nothing stating that dogs weren't allowed.

3 0 Reply

Dec 14, 2015 #1078679

They didn't have to be rude. I did take my dog out of the store immediately. I then went back to purchase my items, and that same employee was rude to me again, even when I was presenting the coupons they grumbled at me and stated "those coupons better not be expired, we don't accept expired coupons." They weren't expired. I did take my dog out of the store. The employee could have been much nicer when saying they didn't want dogs in the store, and when checking out they didn't have to be "mean" about the coupons. It wasn't even crowded, the store was nearly empty at the time, too.
Normally I like Joann's, but haven't been able to go back since that incident.

3 0 Reply

Apr 18, 2013 #639196 San Antonio, Texas, United States

I live in San Antonio and I have seen women with their lap dogs in a large purse walking in the grocery store. Unless the dog is a service dog then do not bring it inside of a store. In response to dogsrule if you are so concerned about dust mites, filth, and touching a surface a mother may have touched after changing a diaper...wow you are way out in left field. It is about liability if the dog was to get away from you or *** someone there are so many scenarios that are not out of the realm of possibilities. Honestly, you don't need to take your dog to see what colors look good and you can use your tape measure at home and take measurements. Anyone with even a little lick of sense knows that measurements can be taken at home. Good Grief you should know better without having to ask, just assume your dog is not welcome in retail & grocery stores, restaurants, bathrooms etc...got it!~

8 6 Reply
ex-emp who still loves JoAnn

Apr 27, 2014 #809739 Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States

This lady is probably a manager in the S.A. system of JoAnn stores… sounds just like one….. frustrated, and under paided...

3 1 Reply
MeAgain

Mar 24, 2013 #627709 Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States

Hi...I work at Joanns and truthfully, you shouldn't have had your dog in there at all. We don't allow dogs in unless they are for handicapped individuals. Whoever you spoke to on the phone gave you incorrect information and I can completely understand your dismay. However, we are told to abruptly alert the customer that no pets are allowed into the store unless it is registered for seeing eye. Countless times people have ignored us and I've picked up doggy poo and mopped up doggie pee. Dust mites are of course a natural occurrence in fabric, however people are severely allergic to dogs, and their dander and fur can cling to the fabric. Which is why we have to restrict pets in the store.

10 6 Reply

Feb 22, 2016 #1115725

Hello!
I would just like to chime in that the store is to allow all service dogs- not just seeing eye service dogs. There are many different kinds of service dogs that can help their handlers with countless tasks.
If you approach someone with a service dog, note that the only questions you are allowed to ask is if the dog is a service dog and what tasks it performs. The dog is not required to wear a vest or tags, but most do to prevent distraction of the service dog.
I hope this helps clear up a few minor misconceptions about service dogs.

4 1 Reply
dogsrule

Mar 15, 2013 #623275 Chicago, Illinois, United States

Really? With all the filth, dust mites, and dirt in the store, the presence of a dog in a store of that size is going to set someone off into a full blown allergy attack? Please, if you are that sensitive, you should probably be in a plastic bubble or on some serious allergy meds. Because we live in an extremely polluted country and if you are that sensitive to one dog being in the store, you probably shouldn't he venturing outside at all. My dogs are better behaved and cleaner than most kids. You won't catch the flu or other diseases from my dogs. But touch a surface that was just handled by a mom who just changed a diaper and didn't wash her hands afterwards--you're sure to get sick. I would not shop at that store in the future. Sounds like minimum wage employees getting off on their "power". This person and the dog were keeping to themselves and not bothering anyone. What is the big deal? Live and let live, people.

7 9 Reply

1-20 of 45 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.