Jbr Investment Company - Review about Colburn Apartments Rental from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nancy Riede and John Riede swindled me out of my deposit. Here is how they did it.
Nancy Riede and John Riede run a company called JBR Investments, which owns and operates the Colburn Hotel and the Colburn Apartments located at 980 Grant St. and 960 Grant St. in Denver’s Cap Hill neighborhood. I lived in their apartments for over 1.5 years, and paid my rent on time every month. When I moved out, I refurbish the apartment and left it in better condition than when I had moved in. According to my lease I had to give a 10 day notice before moving out. The way this place works is they have a staffed office, Monday through Friday, on the second floor of the Colburn Hotel, right above Charlie Brown’s restaurant and next door to the apartments. On the first floor is the front desk with a 24/7 attendant. In order to move out, the tenants must give written notice to the front desk 10 days in advance.
So this is where their little scam begins. I went down to their office and gave the attendant written notice that I was moving out. I then asked what the procedure was for getting my deposit back. The front desk employee then had me pick up a telephone off of the wall, and walks back to some sort of technology from the 1950’s and connects me to the office staff on the second floor. One of the family member’s of Nancy Riede explained to me that only Nancy Riede can discuss my deposit and the procedures for moving out, and that all I could do is leave a voicemail. So I left a voicemail. I explained to them that I was moving out of state and needed to speak with them before I left. After 1 day I went back down to the office and asked to speak with someone about my deposit again. I was again told that only Nancy Riede can discuss that with me and I would have to call up to the office. I got the voicemail again, and I left another message. So a third day goes by and I go to the front desk again, where I am instructed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy Riede. At this point I begin to become suspicious that they are blatantly ignoring my calls, considering that it is a fully staffed office on the second floor, who manage two 10 story buildings in downtown Denver. 9 days go by, and I never hear from them nor am I able to get ahold of anybody that can discuss anything with me. I go the desk and return my keys. I ask again to speak with someone from the office and I am directed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy. At this point, my keys have been returned and my car is packed, ready for me to drive out of state. Throughout the 9 days I never once heard from them after multiple voicemails, and Nancy Riede never allowed me the opportunity to discuss paying 1 day of prorated rent in order to receive my deposit back. Apparently Nancy is the only one who can discuss these matters, and man was she hard to get ahold of. In fact, I have yet to speak with her to this day about my deposit or how I would go about paying for 1 day of prorated rent to cover the 10 day requirement in my lease.
For the next week, I called that apartment and left a voicemail every day asking to speak with someone about my deposit. After approximately 20 attempts to get ahold of them, I finally heard back from a man named John Riede. He explained that I would not be receiving my deposit back because I needed to give a 10 day notice before moving out, and I only gave 9. That was their excuse. I was absolutely dumbfounded. This family took advantage of the fact that I was moving out of state, stonewalled all attempts for me to discuss my deposit and prorated rent with them, then they had the nerve to tell me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to sue them. I have had a lot of landlords shiest me out of my deposits in all sorts of ways, but this one was by far the creepiest. These guys are the textbook definition of slumlords. Stay far far away, they are nothing but the pests of our society.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Problems with payment
- Product or service
- Colburn Apartments Rental
- Review category
- Hotels and Resorts
You May Also Like
- "Stayed at Motel 6 in Woodland Wash. 3 weekends ago because I was cleaning out and packing up my recently deceased mother. When I checked out I informed the..."
- "The resort posts very beautiful pictures about its location but in fact it does not have any beach since it is located on a swamp area while it takes..."
- "Wyndham Worldwide, Wyndham Vacation Ownership, Fraud Validation - Senior Management Speaks- A Robert Paisola Exclusive 2012 SEE FULL NATIONAL STORY WITH PHOTOS AND VIDEO AT THE TIMESHARE CHRONICLES : http://timesharescamsupdate.blogspot.com/2012/04/wyndham-resorts-senior-management.html For..."
- "You can see the markings, especially on the right-hand coin. It is a shading covering the lower-left. The company refused to expedite shipping and in fact told me that a 10..."
- "This is a complaint we submitted to Frontier Airlines. If we receive any resolution, I will update. Flight 409 on 7/2/16. My boyfriend and I were flying to Denver..."
- "Riding in the bay on Sat and my center pontoon and engine fell into the bay. I had 2 children and 4 adults I thought we were gonna die. I..."
- "I buy clothes at anthropology frequently because the their store in the Yorkville, Toronto is close to my office. Yesterday, I tried a sweater in the fitting room, I asked..."
- "US Hole in One is based on Lies - Never Use them they claim millions of dollars in business winners office building complex is this the place for a large..."
- "On Nov 25 I tried to order a Waterville 2 times with no success Onthe 3rd try I had success. When I checked the order the at around 3:00pm on..."