Jbr Investment Company - Review about Colburn Apartments Rental from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nancy Riede and John Riede swindled me out of my deposit. Here is how they did it.
Nancy Riede and John Riede run a company called JBR Investments, which owns and operates the Colburn Hotel and the Colburn Apartments located at 980 Grant St. and 960 Grant St. in Denver’s Cap Hill neighborhood. I lived in their apartments for over 1.5 years, and paid my rent on time every month. When I moved out, I refurbish the apartment and left it in better condition than when I had moved in. According to my lease I had to give a 10 day notice before moving out. The way this place works is they have a staffed office, Monday through Friday, on the second floor of the Colburn Hotel, right above Charlie Brown’s restaurant and next door to the apartments. On the first floor is the front desk with a 24/7 attendant. In order to move out, the tenants must give written notice to the front desk 10 days in advance.
So this is where their little scam begins. I went down to their office and gave the attendant written notice that I was moving out. I then asked what the procedure was for getting my deposit back. The front desk employee then had me pick up a telephone off of the wall, and walks back to some sort of technology from the 1950’s and connects me to the office staff on the second floor. One of the family member’s of Nancy Riede explained to me that only Nancy Riede can discuss my deposit and the procedures for moving out, and that all I could do is leave a voicemail. So I left a voicemail. I explained to them that I was moving out of state and needed to speak with them before I left. After 1 day I went back down to the office and asked to speak with someone about my deposit again. I was again told that only Nancy Riede can discuss that with me and I would have to call up to the office. I got the voicemail again, and I left another message. So a third day goes by and I go to the front desk again, where I am instructed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy Riede. At this point I begin to become suspicious that they are blatantly ignoring my calls, considering that it is a fully staffed office on the second floor, who manage two 10 story buildings in downtown Denver. 9 days go by, and I never hear from them nor am I able to get ahold of anybody that can discuss anything with me. I go the desk and return my keys. I ask again to speak with someone from the office and I am directed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy. At this point, my keys have been returned and my car is packed, ready for me to drive out of state. Throughout the 9 days I never once heard from them after multiple voicemails, and Nancy Riede never allowed me the opportunity to discuss paying 1 day of prorated rent in order to receive my deposit back. Apparently Nancy is the only one who can discuss these matters, and man was she hard to get ahold of. In fact, I have yet to speak with her to this day about my deposit or how I would go about paying for 1 day of prorated rent to cover the 10 day requirement in my lease.
For the next week, I called that apartment and left a voicemail every day asking to speak with someone about my deposit. After approximately 20 attempts to get ahold of them, I finally heard back from a man named John Riede. He explained that I would not be receiving my deposit back because I needed to give a 10 day notice before moving out, and I only gave 9. That was their excuse. I was absolutely dumbfounded. This family took advantage of the fact that I was moving out of state, stonewalled all attempts for me to discuss my deposit and prorated rent with them, then they had the nerve to tell me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to sue them. I have had a lot of landlords shiest me out of my deposits in all sorts of ways, but this one was by far the creepiest. These guys are the textbook definition of slumlords. Stay far far away, they are nothing but the pests of our society.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Problems with payment
- Product or service
- Colburn Apartments Rental
- Review category
- Hotels and Resorts
You May Also Like
- "Worst motel 6 i have Ever stayed at! It had lots of black mold!! Black mold in the shower and soap dishes! I have Photosof everything but the black mold..."
- "This is a SCAM. I was fresh out of college when I signed up and way to naive to understand that I was being duped. I received a call saying..."
- "Public Advisory not for family and children! #####Avoid Value Place Plainfield,IN 46168 Avoid###### Value Place aka Woodspring Suites 6295 gateway blvd. Plainfield,IN 46168 ValuePlace Plainfield Indianapolis and nationwide are all bad places! Value Place..."
- "There is no customer care.. I love to shop on Zara, just like there cloths ... this is my first time that have to deal with their customer care... turn..."
- "Ordered and paid, nothing shipped, no tracking, but took my money SCAM!!!!!!..."
- "We just returned from an adults get away at this fabulous all inclusive resort. We loved our room, which had an amazing ocean view and was recently renovated. Very clean..."
- "It's a place for the scammers and liars. Women (mostly from Ghana & Nigeria) supposedly having pictures of either British or Finnish decendants but are in fact guys hiding behind..."
- "We had Carlton install our pool in 2005 in 2008in cracked in 2009 it cracked and leaked Carlton said use the pool over the summer we'll chip out the cracks..."
- "We have a Marvin sliding glass patio door that's 6 years old. While I was at home reading around 7:30 the other night, I heard a big pop. The door's..."