Jbr Investment Company - Review about Colburn Apartments Rental from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Nancy Riede and John Riede swindled me out of my deposit. Here is how they did it.
Nancy Riede and John Riede run a company called JBR Investments, which owns and operates the Colburn Hotel and the Colburn Apartments located at 980 Grant St. and 960 Grant St. in Denver’s Cap Hill neighborhood. I lived in their apartments for over 1.5 years, and paid my rent on time every month. When I moved out, I refurbish the apartment and left it in better condition than when I had moved in. According to my lease I had to give a 10 day notice before moving out. The way this place works is they have a staffed office, Monday through Friday, on the second floor of the Colburn Hotel, right above Charlie Brown’s restaurant and next door to the apartments. On the first floor is the front desk with a 24/7 attendant. In order to move out, the tenants must give written notice to the front desk 10 days in advance.
So this is where their little scam begins. I went down to their office and gave the attendant written notice that I was moving out. I then asked what the procedure was for getting my deposit back. The front desk employee then had me pick up a telephone off of the wall, and walks back to some sort of technology from the 1950’s and connects me to the office staff on the second floor. One of the family member’s of Nancy Riede explained to me that only Nancy Riede can discuss my deposit and the procedures for moving out, and that all I could do is leave a voicemail. So I left a voicemail. I explained to them that I was moving out of state and needed to speak with them before I left. After 1 day I went back down to the office and asked to speak with someone about my deposit again. I was again told that only Nancy Riede can discuss that with me and I would have to call up to the office. I got the voicemail again, and I left another message. So a third day goes by and I go to the front desk again, where I am instructed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy Riede. At this point I begin to become suspicious that they are blatantly ignoring my calls, considering that it is a fully staffed office on the second floor, who manage two 10 story buildings in downtown Denver. 9 days go by, and I never hear from them nor am I able to get ahold of anybody that can discuss anything with me. I go the desk and return my keys. I ask again to speak with someone from the office and I am directed to pick up a telephone and leave a voicemail for Nancy. At this point, my keys have been returned and my car is packed, ready for me to drive out of state. Throughout the 9 days I never once heard from them after multiple voicemails, and Nancy Riede never allowed me the opportunity to discuss paying 1 day of prorated rent in order to receive my deposit back. Apparently Nancy is the only one who can discuss these matters, and man was she hard to get ahold of. In fact, I have yet to speak with her to this day about my deposit or how I would go about paying for 1 day of prorated rent to cover the 10 day requirement in my lease.
For the next week, I called that apartment and left a voicemail every day asking to speak with someone about my deposit. After approximately 20 attempts to get ahold of them, I finally heard back from a man named John Riede. He explained that I would not be receiving my deposit back because I needed to give a 10 day notice before moving out, and I only gave 9. That was their excuse. I was absolutely dumbfounded. This family took advantage of the fact that I was moving out of state, stonewalled all attempts for me to discuss my deposit and prorated rent with them, then they had the nerve to tell me if I wanted my deposit back I would have to sue them. I have had a lot of landlords shiest me out of my deposits in all sorts of ways, but this one was by far the creepiest. These guys are the textbook definition of slumlords. Stay far far away, they are nothing but the pests of our society.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Problems with payment
- Product or service
- Colburn Apartments Rental
- Review category
- Hotels and Resorts
You May Also Like
- "On 10/11/14, my husband I purchased tickets for Universal Studios from Bluegreen during our third stay at The Fountains resort in Orlando, our fifth stay with Bluegreen. On 10/12/14, we..."
- "This place is nasty just nasty it had mold on the wall dead bugs on the floor blood on the wall the main door was just dirty nasty the tube..."
- "This is an update to the complaint against Panther Knob Cottage Rental, owner Susan Bates As of this date November 13, 2014 nothing has been resolved!! But this is business..."
- "I Shashikant bhange had bought Skechers shoe go walk 3 on 16/03/2016 from Inc 5 store in Vimannagar pune.I used another spare shoes in rainy months. After that I used..."
- "My local company purchased by Amerigas, my tank, my delivery invoices, and my bill stated to make checks out to Silsbee Propane the price per gallon goes up every delivery,..."
- "I had a exam in March 2016 took 1 hour took script to be filled at another place turns out wrong script had headaches so went to dr pt and..."
- "Hi my name is wanda,I order the keranique products from your company on a free trail bases for $3.95 s&h only thinking that this stuff is good for my hair.But..."
- "Jim Walter and Companies have built a defective home in so many ways that it can not be repaired and needs to be torn down it is unsafe and a..."
- "I ordered about 8 items from them. I received one and the quality was god awful. The other 7 items either never got to me or were never..."